Under Shirts - Recomendations

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Bleve, May 1, 2006.

  1. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    Beanzy wrote:
    > G'day all,
    >
    > I am looking for an undershirt to wear on chilly Sydney mornings. I have
    > googled and search a few online shops to no avail. Could anyone out there
    > recommend a shop - virtual or physical (sydney based) that sells under
    > shirts?

    I use polypropalene thermal underwear as an undershirt - any
    bushwalking shop will sell it to you - cheap, wicking etc ...

    Tags:

  2. Beanzy

    Beanzy Guest

    G'day all,

    I am looking for an undershirt to wear on chilly Sydney mornings. I have
    googled and search a few online shops to no avail. Could anyone out there
    recommend a shop - virtual or physical (sydney based) that sells under
    shirts?

    Specifically i am looking for a shirt that is not too thick, wicks away
    moisture, reasonably priced etc and since i also have a layer of naturally
    occuring thermal insulation a shirt of size 2XL to 3XL.

    Thanks in advance

    Beanzy

  3. Hey,

    I use cheap "wife beater" singlets that I get from Target (pronounced
    "Tarjay"). They are a cotton polyester blend, and are in the "MensFit"
    Target-brand range.

    Cheap as, seem to wick moisture away pretty well, and fit snugly
    underneath my jersey. They have a higher neckline than the old "Chesty
    Bonds", which is I feature that I quite like for the cooler
    autumn/winter mornings...

    Cheers,
    Abby

  4. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    Absent Husband wrote:
    > Hey,
    >
    > I use cheap "wife beater" singlets that I get from Target (pronounced
    > "Tarjay"). They are a cotton polyester blend, and are in the "MensFit"
    > Target-brand range.
    >
    > Cheap as, seem to wick moisture away pretty well, and fit snugly
    > underneath my jersey. They have a higher neckline than the old "Chesty
    > Bonds", which is I feature that I quite like for the cooler
    > autumn/winter mornings...

    Old XC ski-touring folklore, "cotton kills".

    Once wet, cotton is cold. You can get away with it in QLD though ...

  5. byron27

    byron27 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2003
    I got mine from probikekit for under 10 bucks. Do the job with no hassles.

  6. MikeyOz

    MikeyOz New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2003
    you wear a second layer in Queensland ????? Even during winter.... I usually wore a sleeveless top! Man, I must have not stayed there long enough to develop those internal coolers.

  7. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    I'm currently wearing a short sleeve Nike ACG base layer top under a long sleeve wool cycling jersey. Very comfy combo. Bought at a local outdoor shop in Perth.

    SteveA

  8. Bean Long

    Bean Long Guest

    Absent Husband wrote:
    > Hey,
    >
    > I use cheap "wife beater" singlets that I get from Target (pronounced
    > "Tarjay"). They are a cotton polyester blend, and are in the "MensFit"
    > Target-brand range.
    >
    > Cheap as, seem to wick moisture away pretty well, and fit snugly
    > underneath my jersey. They have a higher neckline than the old "Chesty
    > Bonds", which is I feature that I quite like for the cooler
    > autumn/winter mornings...
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Abby

    I use a summer weight, long sleeve jersey over the top of my summer
    weight short sleeve jersey. Very comfortable and very dry, even with a
    hefty back-pack.

    --
    Bean

    Remove "yourfinger" before replying

  9. Bean Long

    Bean Long Guest

    Bean Long wrote:

    > I use a summer weight, long sleeve jersey over the top of my summer
    > weight short sleeve jersey. Very comfortable and very dry, even with a
    > hefty back-pack.

    BTW... that's in CBR where we will soon be getting around -4 °C of a
    morning on most days.

    --
    Bean

    Remove "yourfinger" before replying

  10. MalP

    MalP New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2006
    Ground Effect have some merino wool/polyester ones. Haven't tried them ... yet.

  11. Random Data

    Random Data Guest

    On Tue, 02 May 2006 00:19:10 +0000, Beanzy wrote:

    > I am looking for an undershirt to wear on chilly Sydney mornings. I have
    > googled and search a few online shops to no avail. Could anyone out
    > there recommend a shop - virtual or physical (sydney based) that sells
    > under shirts?

    I know you said undershirt, but have you considered a vest? Ground Effect
    have a windproof vest for NZ$99:
    http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product_detail.php?style=JET&category=WIN

    I've got something similar I picked up at the Netti sale a few years back.
    Easily removable, reversible for night visibility, reasonably light, and
    warm enough to ride at 5am all through winter.

    --
    Dave Hughes | da[email protected]
    Never go off on tangents, which are lines that intersect a curve at

  12. Random Data

    Random Data Guest

    On Tue, 02 May 2006 12:11:53 +1000, MalP wrote:

    >> Beanzy'Ground Effect' (http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/index.htm) have some

    > merino wool/polyester ones. Haven't tried them ... yet.

    Oh yeah. I've got one of the SubMerinos, and it's rather nice in cool
    weather. Not particularly windproof though, but I've ridden in close to
    zero conditions with that and a windproof vest. That was one of the few
    days I was glad to have my leg warmers.

    --
    Dave Hughes | [email protected]
    Brooker's Law: "The wackier the project, the easier it is to fund."

  13. Random Data wrote:
    > On Tue, 02 May 2006 12:11:53 +1000, MalP wrote:
    >
    >>> Beanzy'Ground Effect' (http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/index.htm) have some

    >> merino wool/polyester ones. Haven't tried them ... yet.

    > Oh yeah. I've got one of the SubMerinos, and it's rather nice in cool
    > weather. Not particularly windproof though, but I've ridden in close to
    > zero conditions with that and a windproof vest. That was one of the few
    > days I was glad to have my leg warmers.

    I live in Canberra, so I get to experience the full range of climatic
    conditions for cycling ;-). Over the years I have tried many many
    combinations. My current "best" is superfine merino (the Ground Effect
    SubMerino is good quality, and relatively cheap) as the FIRST layer. It
    is warm, even when wet, light, with excellent comfort/moisture wicking.

    I definitely do not want a windstopper first layer, as it reduces the
    flexibility that I have in terms of regulating temperature. In
    Spring/Autumn I wear two layers, with the top layer being wind stopper
    or Activent or something similar. This keeps the wind off the wool, and
    I can "micro regulate" temperature just by moving the zip of the top
    layer up or down, allowing breeze through to the wool layer.

    In winter I will wear up to three layers, still with wool on the bottom,
    but with a mid layer of fleece or wool or super roubaix or something,
    and still with a top layer that is just to keep out the wind.

    I am so much a convert to superfine merino as the first layer that I
    have three long sleeve tops!

  14. Donga

    Donga Guest

    Random Data wrote:
    > I know you said undershirt, but have you considered a vest? Ground Effect
    > have a windproof vest for NZ$99:
    > http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product_detail.php?style=JET&category=WIN
    >
    > I've got something similar I picked up at the Netti sale a few years back.
    > Easily removable, reversible for night visibility, reasonably light, and
    > warm enough to ride at 5am all through winter.

    Not that you would listen to a Qld-er, but it does get cold here too
    (about 9 degrees on a real shocker morning in Brissie). Brrrrrrr!
    Windproof vests or 'gillets' are the go - if you keep out the wind,
    half the battle is won. I've got a Netti. ProBikeKit advertise them
    too.

    Donga

  15. neon

    neon New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2003
    Try cyclingnews shop, they have two different De Feet undeshirts. I find Shurt-Tank keep me warm down to 10c under a summer jersey.

    http://shop.cyclingnews.com.au/Cyclingnews/catalogue/category1/c26/p172

  16. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-05-02, neon (aka Bruce)

    > Try cyclingnews shop, they have two different De Feet undeshirts. I
    > find Shurt-Tank keep me warm down to 10c under a summer jersey.

    Are you from Brisbane or something? I've found my cutoff for wanting
    something warmer for the first 15 minutes of the ride is about 7
    degrees. Any warmer than that, and anything warm I bring will be too
    hot after 15 minutes.

    --
    TimC
    Hacking's just another word for nothing left to kludge.

  17. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    Donga wrote:
    > Random Data wrote:
    > > I know you said undershirt, but have you considered a vest? Ground Effect
    > > have a windproof vest for NZ$99:
    > > http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product_detail.php?style=JET&category=WIN
    > >
    > > I've got something similar I picked up at the Netti sale a few years back.
    > > Easily removable, reversible for night visibility, reasonably light, and
    > > warm enough to ride at 5am all through winter.
    > >

    > Not that you would listen to a Qld-er, but it does get cold here too
    > (about 9 degrees on a real shocker morning in Brissie). Brrrrrrr!
    > Windproof vests or 'gillets' are the go - if you keep out the wind,
    > half the battle is won. I've got a Netti. ProBikeKit advertise them
    > too.

    My winter kit for most day riding is a polypro thermal tshirt, jersey &
    armwarmers and a windvest and a hat under my helmet. Oh, and
    windstopper gloves. Windvests are brilliant.

    When it's really cold, I have a Uno windstopper jacket which is way too
    warm for anything but midwinter at night (Melbourne). that's when I
    get the leg warmers out too :) Unfortunatly, the jacket, in Uno's
    wisdom, is black. None too good for night riding. It does have token
    reflective piping, but really ... black? Hrmmmm.

    If it's awful, wet & cold & raining, a goretex mountaineering jacket is
    good - my old climbing one :) Bright yellow & black, reflective tape,
    dry & snug :)

  18. Gemma_k

    Gemma_k Guest

    "neon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Try cyclingnews shop, they have two different De Feet undeshirts. I
    > find Shurt-Tank keep me warm down to 10c under a summer jersey.
    >
    > http://shop.cyclingnews.com.au/Cyclingnews/catalogue/category1/c26/p172

    I second that - they are the BEST undershirts of all. Just got to make sure
    velcro doesn't cmoe anywhere near them in the washing machine.
    I've got the tanks, the t-shirts and the long sleeves. They also have a
    winter weight long sleeve - I have one of them and it's actually too warm
    for me.
    The summer weight tanks are great in either hot or cold weather, and are
    great when you crash too (I've done that a few times)
    Too bad they're so expensive (with the exception of the cycling news ones)
    Gemma

  19. Bean Long

    Bean Long Guest

    TimC wrote:
    > On 2006-05-02, neon (aka Bruce)
    >> Try cyclingnews shop, they have two different De Feet undeshirts. I
    >> find Shurt-Tank keep me warm down to 10c under a summer jersey.

    > Are you from Brisbane or something? I've found my cutoff for wanting
    > something warmer for the first 15 minutes of the ride is about 7
    > degrees. Any warmer than that, and anything warm I bring will be too
    > hot after 15 minutes.

    I'm the same Tim. I can take off from home here (CBR) wearing just a
    summer weight long-sleeve jersey at about 5 degrees and have to unzip it
    half way down after about 10 min. I must be acclimatised to the abysmal
    cold in CBR?! When it gets below zero I still need to unzip but will
    have something underneath (e.g. my summer weight short-sleeve), but
    under those conditions I'm usually thinking about my finger tips!!... or
    trying not to!!