Undercooked Christmas salmon debate

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Jude, Dec 27, 2005.

  1. Jude

    Jude Guest

    Interesting debate between myself and my family this Christmas day.
    Every year, my mom cooks a nice piece of beef, and orders a cold
    poached salmon with dill sauce. I do all the appetizers and sides, and
    she and I split the work on making desserts.

    So last year, she found out that the grocery would do a poached salmon
    for less than half the price of the fish market. It was wonderful -
    flaky and tender, with a lovely creamy dill sauce.

    This year, not so good. My first upset was when I asked her for the
    dill sauce to put in a nice bowl for the buffet table. She hands me a
    bottle of McCormicks Lemon Dill Marinade. I asked, what the heck is
    this? She said that the guy at the store told her its the same thing
    they gave us last year, but last year they poured some from the bottles
    into a smaller tub and this year they were giving us a whole bottle,
    lucky us. Apparently he thought my mom was either a) stupid or b)
    overly harrassed byu the holiday shopping already, and he was right.
    She took the bottle of marinade. Last year we had a nice thick white
    sauce flecked with dill, which appeared to be a sour cream based sauce
    like I would make at home. The bottle we got this year was an icky
    yellow color, runny like a marinade, and specifically said on the back
    that it was for marinading fish or chicken. NOT a sauce for the cooked
    salmon. So I grabbed the sour cream and a few lemons, determined to
    make a new sauce. That's when we discovered that Mom as out of dill. So
    I put together a lemon-tarroagon sauce instead, with some lemon zest
    and minced parsley for color. Pretty good sauce.

    Put the salmon on a platter surrounded by lemon. Put it on the table.
    When I got there to serve my plate, I noticed that the outside 1/4 inch
    or so was pale pink and flaky like a nice poached salmon is. Underneath
    that, the flesh was soft and bright pink - like sushi. Tasted
    undercvooked, almost raw, texture was that of almost raw fish as well.

    The debate began. I refused to eat it, becuase I don't trust
    uindercooked food. My sister said that if salmon was good enough to eat
    as sushi, it would be fine. True, but then again, the freshness of
    sushi is usually a factor, and Mom had picked up the poached salmon on
    the morning of December 24 to serve for dinner at 7 PM on Dec 25. Not
    exactly the freshness standard I would accept as safe.

    One of our guests said he loved sushi and this was the new way to cook
    salmon. He stated that restaurants all over were serving their salmon
    soft on the inside, it's a trent. Again I look at the fact that serving
    it like that would be PLANNED and factored into freshness choices.
    Secondly, I think maybe he was mixing up salmon and tuna. I've had
    plenty of seared tuna that's raw or nearly so inside and not thought
    twice about it.

    So do you think it was safe to eat? I refused and told Mom that she
    should return it to the market, along with the bottle of sauce, and
    demand a refund of her $50. Mom simply threw what was left away. My
    sister got sick that night but swears it wasn't the fish. Haven't
    talked to any of the guests

    Would YOU have eaten it? Would you have made a big stink at the marlet?
    Or was I overreacting? personally, I cooked from non until 6:30 PM
    without stopping, so I was pretty upset to find out that the food we
    had ordered prepared wasn't right - I coulda done it myself and had it
    much better! What would you have done?

    Tags:

  2. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    Jude wrote:

    > Would YOU have eaten it? Would you have made a big stink at the marlet?
    > Or was I overreacting? personally, I cooked from non until 6:30 PM
    > without stopping, so I was pretty upset to find out that the food we
    > had ordered prepared wasn't right - I coulda done it myself and had it
    > much better! What would you have done?

    unless I was sure it was sashimi grade salmon, I would not eat it unless it
    was cooked.

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com

  3. aem

    aem Guest

    Jude wrote:
    > [snips]
    > Would YOU have eaten it?

    No, but not because I feared it was unsafe. A grocery store that would
    do this on the cheap is 99% sure to be using farmed Atlantic salmon for
    this product, and I won't eat that stuff.

    Would you have made a big stink at the marlet?

    No, but if I happened to encounter the guy in charge of the meat
    department in the next few days I would caution him that he has an
    employee who tried to pass off that lame marinade as a sauce. I'd do
    it not in a "I want my money back" tone but as though I was helping him
    keep tabs on his staff.

    > Or was I overreacting? personally, I cooked from non until 6:30 PM
    > without stopping, so I was pretty upset to find out that the food we
    > had ordered prepared wasn't right - I coulda done it myself and had it
    > much better! What would you have done?

    I think the others are right that poached salmon is often undercooked
    nowadays. I have done it that way myself with wild king salmon I
    caught myself. But I make sure there's enough that is fully cooked for
    those who prefer it that way. (Grilling is my favorite way, anyway)
    -aem

  4. If I INTENDED to eat salmon sashimi, I wouldn't make a fuss. BUT... If
    the salmon is supposed to be cooked, cook it THOROUGHLY, please. I
    don't want to eat a fish that's half-cooked and half-raw. I think
    that's icky and sloppy.

    We had salmon too, cooked over the barbecue in a particularly delicious
    way. It was cooked completely, I'm glad to say.

    Melissa

  5. notbob

    notbob Guest

    On 2005-12-28, Jude <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Would YOU have eaten it? Would you have made a big stink at the marlet?

    No and Hell yes!

    I love a "big stink" and never miss a chance. The clerks at my
    Safeway cringe when I enter the store. I'd *DEMAND* a full refund
    (unless your guests ate most of it).

    nb

  6. On 27 Dec 2005 16:29:49 -0800, "Jude" <[email protected]> wrote:

    (snip raw-fish story)

    >Would YOU have eaten it? Would you have made a big stink at the marlet?
    >Or was I overreacting? personally, I cooked from non until 6:30 PM
    >without stopping, so I was pretty upset to find out that the food we
    >had ordered prepared wasn't right - I coulda done it myself and had it
    >much better! What would you have done?

    I have to say ewwww on both counts! If it was me that fish would have
    gone back into the wrapping to go back to the store on boxing day, and
    the so-called 'dill sauce' with it!

    --
    ~Karen aka Kajikit
    Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life

  7. Jude wrote:
> [...]
    > it like that would be PLANNED and factored into freshness choices.
    > Secondly, I think maybe he was mixing up salmon and tuna. I've had
    > plenty of seared tuna that's raw or nearly so inside and not thought
    > twice about it.
    >
    > So do you think it was safe to eat? I refused and told Mom that she
    > should return it to the market, along with the bottle of sauce, and
    > demand a refund of her $50. Mom simply threw what was left away. My
    > sister got sick that night but swears it wasn't the fish. Haven't
    > talked to any of the guests
    >
    > Would YOU have eaten it? Would you have made a big stink at the marlet?
    > Or was I overreacting? personally, I cooked from non until 6:30 PM
    > without stopping, so I was pretty upset to find out that the food we
    > had ordered prepared wasn't right - I coulda done it myself and had it

    I would have taken the remainder back to the store with the receipt and
    politely asked for a refund.

    --

    saerah

    http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

    -Baruch Spinoza

    -Douglas Adams

  8. The Bubbo wrote:
    > Jude wrote:
    >

    >>Would YOU have eaten it? Would you have made a big stink at the marlet?
    >>Or was I overreacting? personally, I cooked from non until 6:30 PM
    >>without stopping, so I was pretty upset to find out that the food we
    >>had ordered prepared wasn't right - I coulda done it myself and had it
    >>much better! What would you have done?
    >>

    > unless I was sure it was sashimi grade salmon, I would not eat it unless it
    > was cooked.

    same here.

    --

    saerah

    http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

    -Baruch Spinoza

    -Douglas Adams

  9. Jessica V.

    Jessica V. Guest

    Jude wrote:
> [...]
    > it like that would be PLANNED and factored into freshness choices.
    > Secondly, I think maybe he was mixing up salmon and tuna. I've had
    > plenty of seared tuna that's raw or nearly so inside and not thought
    > twice about it.
    >
    > So do you think it was safe to eat? I refused and told Mom that she
    > should return it to the market, along with the bottle of sauce, and
    > demand a refund of her $50. Mom simply threw what was left away. My
    > sister got sick that night but swears it wasn't the fish. Haven't
    > talked to any of the guests
    >
    > Would YOU have eaten it? Would you have made a big stink at the marlet?
    > Or was I overreacting? personally, I cooked from non until 6:30 PM
    > without stopping, so I was pretty upset to find out that the food we
    > had ordered prepared wasn't right - I coulda done it myself and had it

    I'd have wrapped the fish back up and taken it and the bottle of
    marinade back to the store on the 26th. While I enjoy sushi, sashimi
    and rare sashimi grade salmon cooked on the grill there is no way this
    gal would eat partially cooked grocery store salmon. Salmon is just
    way to prone to icky things add to that being partially cooked a day
    before. Sounds like eating it would be asking for a case of parasites
    or food poisoning.

    Jessica

  10. Jani

    Jani Guest

    "Jude" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    []

    > Would YOU have eaten it? Would you have made a big stink at the marlet?
    > Or was I overreacting? personally, I cooked from non until 6:30 PM
    > without stopping, so I was pretty upset to find out that the food we
    > had ordered prepared wasn't right - I coulda done it myself and had it
    > much better! What would you have done?

    I wouldn't have eaten it. Sashimi is sashimi, poached is poached, and this
    seems to have been neither one thing nor the other. Even if you didn't keep
    the remains to return to the shop, I'd still have a word with them next time
    you go in. If they were deliberately aiming for rare, because of the
    restaurant trend, you could politely point out the freshness factor. *And*
    mention that you were "accidentally" given marinade rather than sauce.

    (Ob rare xmas food - I managed to mess up the cooking time for the beef, and
    had to endure twenty minutes of my mother eyeing it while it was resting,
    and telling me it was undercooked and would be horrible. When I served it,
    it turned out to be the best piece of rare beef I - or she! - had ever
    cooked, so mother had to eat her words, along with several helpings of the
    beef. Go me :)

    Jani

  11. I always eat my salmon almost raw on the inside and seared on the
    outside. I've done it with farmed and wild salmon for years and have
    never gotten sick. I've always believed that all the parasites and
    bacteria exist on the outside of a fish fillet if they form at all. But
    that is in no way a scientific theory it's just the rationalization I
    make to myself because I LOVE raw and seared fish.

  12. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    Jude wrote:

    > So do you think it was safe to eat? I refused and told Mom that she
    > should return it to the market, along with the bottle of sauce, and
    > demand a refund of her $50. Mom simply threw what was left away. My
    > sister got sick that night but swears it wasn't the fish. Haven't
    > talked to any of the guests
    >
    > Would YOU have eaten it? Would you have made a big stink at the marlet?
    > Or was I overreacting? personally, I cooked from non until 6:30 PM
    > without stopping, so I was pretty upset to find out that the food we
    > had ordered prepared wasn't right - I coulda done it myself and had it
    > much better! What would you have done?

    I would tell the store manager about it; not demanding anything; just
    see what his reaction is. If he doesn't offer any kind of adjustment,
    I would quietly report the incident to the county health department and
    then pretend to be surprised when their kitchen gets fined and/or shut
    down while they make expensive improvements to bring it up to code. ;-)

    Best regards,
    Bob

  13. Jude

    Jude Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > I always eat my salmon almost raw on the inside and seared on the
    > outside. I've done it with farmed and wild salmon for years and have
    > never gotten sick. I've always believed that all the parasites and
    > bacteria exist on the outside of a fish fillet if they form at all. But
    > that is in no way a scientific theory it's just the rationalization I
    > make to myself because I LOVE raw and seared fish.

    Yeah, but seared woulda been a whole different thing than poached.

  14. Jude

    Jude Guest

    Thanks to all of you. After the huge, ugly argument on Christmas, I
    feel validated that I made the right choice by not eating it, no matter
    what my sister tried to tell me. I coulddn't beleive the debate, but my
    family LOVES to argue!

  15. hob

    hob Guest

> [...]
    >
    > One of our guests said he loved sushi and this was the new way to cook
    > salmon. He stated that restaurants all over were serving their salmon
    > soft on the inside, it's a trent. Again I look at the fact that serving
    > it like that would be PLANNED and factored into freshness choices.
    > Secondly, I think maybe he was mixing up salmon and tuna. I've had
    > plenty of seared tuna that's raw or nearly so inside and not thought
    > twice about it.
    >
    > So do you think it was safe to eat? I refused and told Mom that she
    > should return it to the market, along with the bottle of sauce, and
    > demand a refund of her $50. Mom simply threw what was left away. My
    > sister got sick that night but swears it wasn't the fish. Haven't
    > talked to any of the guests
    >
    > Would YOU have eaten it? Would you have made a big stink at the marlet?

    No, I would not have eaten it (I poach salmon, and I eat salmon sashimi -
    regularly):

    First, what you describe is salmon that was not cooked through, as proper
    poaching would have done.

    Second, the uncooked center means it was heated but not brought up to full
    temperature and likely it was then left to cool: warmed raw fish is a
    breeding ground for all kinds of nasty stuff. 48 hours worth.

    Third, anyone who is so careless as to undercook fish likely has hygiene
    habits commensurate with their attention to basics, and probably
    contaminated the fish by handling it.

    and yes, I would have complained to the store as well as the state.

    Why the state? If the store's help would try to foist off the sauce as you
    describe, and also sell you undercooked fish as you describe, they need a
    visit from the state to jack up their practices before they get someone
    really sick.

    And I would bet your sister DID get sick from undercooked/poorly handled
    salmon,

    Note - If you want to cook salmon slightly under done
    (half-ass-"sashimi"-"trendy" style) you had best cook the damn thing less
    than a half-hour before serving, and if you want it cold, chill it in a
    flavored ice bath or in the freezer.

    > Or was I overreacting?

    Hmmm.. Overpriced watery sauce, under-poached fish, sick sister --
    overreacting?

    No.

    > personally, I cooked from non until 6:30 PM
    > without stopping, so I was pretty upset to find out that the food we
    > had ordered prepared wasn't right - I coulda done it myself and had it
    > much better! What would you have done?

  16. "Jude" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Would YOU have eaten it? Would you have made a big stink at the marlet?
    > Or was I overreacting? personally, I cooked from non until 6:30 PM
    > without stopping, so I was pretty upset to find out that the food we
    > had ordered prepared wasn't right - I coulda done it myself and had it
    > much better! What would you have done?

    I would have eaten it. My salmon is sometimes pink inside and I don't mind
    it that way. If the fish didn't smell bad or seem old, I would eat it. I'm
    not saying you're wrong for not having eaten it, but things like that don't
    creep me out. But there was a restaurant next door to my house which made
    fantastic pork chops which were slightly pink (but completely hot) inside. I
    drool at the memory of those.

  17. <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I always eat my salmon almost raw on the inside and seared on the
    > outside. I've done it with farmed and wild salmon for years and have
    > never gotten sick. I've always believed that all the parasites and
    > bacteria exist on the outside of a fish fillet if they form at all. But
    > that is in no way a scientific theory it's just the rationalization I
    > make to myself because I LOVE raw and seared fish.

    I have a friend from Estonia, where they buy fish filets at the store and
    lightly salt them , placing them in the fridge for a few days. Rather
    similar to a gravlax treatment. Then for up to 2 weeks they eat the salmon.
    I have had it and it tastes perfectly fresh and delicious. I have never
    heard of him getting sick from it and now he buys his salmon filets from big
    grocery stores here in America a la Safeway. Bacteria sure as heck invades
    fish quickly if it is not properly processed and stored, but I think there
    is a difference between undercooked and contaminated.

  18. -L.

    -L. Guest

    Jude wrote:
    <snip>

    > So do you think it was safe to eat?

    No.

    > I refused and told Mom that she
    > should return it to the market, along with the bottle of sauce, and
    > demand a refund of her $50. Mom simply threw what was left away. My
    > sister got sick that night but swears it wasn't the fish. Haven't
    > talked to any of the guests
    >
    > Would YOU have eaten it?

    No. I wouldn't have let anyone else eat it either.

    >Would you have made a big stink at the marlet?

    Just a little stink.

    > Or was I overreacting? personally, I cooked from non until 6:30 PM
    > without stopping, so I was pretty upset to find out that the food we
    > had ordered prepared wasn't right - I coulda done it myself and had it
    > much better! What would you have done?

    Taken it back the next morning and demeanded my money back or a store
    credit. I would also have written a letter to the manager and
    explained my dissatisfaction. Probably whomever was poaching the
    salmon was in the Holiday rush as well, and simply rushed it out of the
    poacher. That's no excuse and they are lucky no one got seriously ill.

    -L.

  19. -L.

    -L. Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > I always eat my salmon almost raw on the inside and seared on the
    > outside. I've done it with farmed and wild salmon for years and have
    > never gotten sick. I've always believed that all the parasites and
    > bacteria exist on the outside of a fish fillet if they form at all.

    There are a number of parasites that can and do inhabit the flesh of
    fish, especially worms.

    > But
    > that is in no way a scientific theory it's just the rationalization I
    > make to myself because I LOVE raw and seared fish.

    I have had far too much invertebrate zoology to eat meats raw.

    -L.