Underground Railroad Route Ky/Oh (USA)

Discussion in 'Touring and recreational cycling' started by SteveAG, Dec 23, 2007.

1. SteveAG

SteveAG New Member

We are considering riding some of the Adventure-Cycling Underground Railroad Route in Kentucky and Ohio. Has anyone here ridden this section. if so - what are your thoughts about it?

Thanks,
    Steve

Tags:

2. Cychologist

Cychologist New Member

I've ridden the Land Between the Lakes protion of the route--the Trace. It's a nice ride. I have also ridden around Owensboro, but am not sure if I was on the route there.

I hope to do the entire trip, but probably not until 2009.

3. SteveAG

SteveAG New Member

Thanks for the reply.

How was traffic on The Trace? What time of year did you go? How was the weather?

4. Cychologist

Cychologist New Member

I live in Hopkinsville, Ky., a half hour from the LBL, and have ridden the Trace in the spring, summer, and fall. Nice fall colors, but any season is good.

The traffic is mainly tourist on the Trace, and not a problem. Business traffic usually take the Interstates or Toll roads running north/south a few miles from the LBL. Should be the least dangerous stretch on the route in this area.

5. SteveAG

SteveAG New Member

Thanks for the additional info. The traffic volume sounds great for cycling.

I've read a bit about the LBL and looked at some maps of the area - because my wife would like to go to Paducah to visit some quilt-related sites.

We may ending camping or staying at a B&B and then taking day trips (which may include cycling, hiking and canoing).

Thanks again.
    Steve & Linda