Understanding Brits

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003 07:48:33 +0000 (UTC), Alex Graham <[email protected]> wrote:

>They love that on the tube: "The delay is caused by a de-trainment in the next station" They make
>it sound like an accident, as if the train ceased to be a train - spontaneous combustion?...

Alex

You're assuming that they were trained in the first place.

James

--
A credit limit is NOT a target.

On Thu, 03 Apr 2003 16:24:14 +0100, Peter Clinch
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Try adding "Knick-knack",

"Paddy Whack" is obviously and anti-Irish term so wouldn't go down at all well in NY, NY. As far as
"give the dog a bone" goes, the less said the better. Unless, of course, one is discussing the
merits of AC/DC's music.

James

--

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003 07:46:34 +0100, "Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Oh, he's looking for a ***", says the other.

"I'd like to bug a *** please?" Never say this, especially if attending a public school. Of course,
a public school is the most private school of all. Most confusing.

I did once hear a probably apochryphal story about an Englishman who was working in New York. He
asked a female American colleague to pass him a rubber. The UK bloke meant an erasor whereas his US
co-worker meant something rather different.

James

--
A credit limit is NOT a target.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> On Fri, 4 Apr 2003 07:46:34 +0100, "Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >"Oh, he's looking for a ***", says the other.
> >

> "I'd like to bug a *** please?"

bum a ***, surely?

> Never say this, especially if attending a public school. Of course, a public school is the most
> private school of all. Most confusing.
>
> I did once hear a probably apochryphal story about an Englishman who was working in New York. He
> asked a female American colleague to pass him a rubber. The UK bloke meant an erasor whereas his
> US co-worker meant something rather different.

There is the, no doubt apocryphal, story of the Black Dyke (Mills) Band playing over in the US
discovering their US audience to have a very different composition to their usual northern English
white male audience when playing at home.

Colin

I worked with an Amerian guy who was very keen to correct my pronunciation of American words,
particularly his name. I went along with this until during a dscussion on food, he said:

"You know, you're not saying that word right. It's actually "parsta". That's how we say it in
the states".

To which I had to reply:

"Yes, but I think you'll find that in Italy they say "pasta".

It took him some time to work out the relevance of Italy to pasta.

"Jerry Neuburger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I obviously watch way too much public T.V. here in the United States (the home away from home for
> the BBC). I can understand almost everything
written

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003 15:45:35 +0000 (UTC), "al_Mossah" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"You know, you're not saying that word right. It's actually "parsta". That's how we say it in
>the states".

Ask or axe? Who knows? I certainly do.

James

--

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003 16:13:10 +0100, Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:

>> "I'd like to bug a *** please?"
>
>bum a ***, surely?

Being an ex-pubic (deliberate typo here) school bod myself, I do apoligize for the earlier error.

James

--
A credit limit is NOT a target.

Michael MacClancy <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> In message <[email protected]>, Eatmorepies
> <[email protected]> writes
> >
> >> Anyway, I have less problem with Americans than with my teenage nephew & niece -- who seem to
> >> speak a completely different argot.

> >Too true. Last year I remarked to one of my upper sixth boys that a particular girl looked fit -
> >he looked at me askance. I meant that even as a PE student she seemed to have an above average
> >and efficient cardio-vascular facility. We eventually understood each other.
> >
> >John
> >

> Crikey! How old are you? I'm over 40 and I know (and use) that ambiguity.

I've also heard Calista Flockheart(sp?) described as sharp looking :)

BugBear

> There is the, no doubt apocryphal, story of the Black Dyke (Mills) Band playing over in the US
> discovering their US audience to have a very different composition to their usual northern English
> white male audience when playing at home.

I haven't heard that one. I did suggest to someone that they had been inadvertently been booked for
a festival by hackney council.

In message <[email protected]>, James Hodson
<[email protected]> writes
>On Fri, 4 Apr 2003 07:46:34 +0100, "Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>"Oh, he's looking for a ***", says the other.
>>

>"I'd like to bug a *** please?" Never say this, especially if attending a public school. Of course,
>a public school is the most private school of all. Most confusing.
>
>I did once hear a probably apochryphal story about an Englishman who was working in New York. He
>asked a female American colleague to pass him a rubber. The UK bloke meant an erasor whereas his US
>co-worker meant something rather different.
>
>James
>
>--
>A credit limit is NOT a target.

I've been told new Australian employees often raise smiles in England when they ask, "Anyone got any
Durex?" In Australia it's what they call adhesive tape.
--
Michael MacClancy

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee wrote:
> It's deeper than you think. An American may not mean what you understand him to mean, and
> vice versa.

An American friend of my wife's at university could never understand why people looked shocked when
she talked about her ***** pack.

> Another Irish chap I know of could not understand for some weeks the reactions of his workmates in
> the US to him until he worked it out. He had been in the habit of saying "I'm going to town on
> Saturday cos there's always great crack down there".

Oh, well, I have more trouble with the Irish than with Merkins ;-)

(Smiley aside, I mean it. Irish people and those from the South of England, like myself, tend to use
the English language in completely different ways. I find similar problems with the Welsh, and
people from Yorkshire or Lancaster).

Thomas Paine

While stranded on the hard shoulder of the information super highway
[email protected] typed:

> I've been told new Australian employees often raise smiles in England when they ask, "Anyone got
> any Durex?" In Australia it's what they call adhesive tape.

We have Coon cheese in Oz too, so named 'cus it was developed by a Mr Coon. I know that this has
caused offence to some visitors to God's own country.

Once upon a time, prostitutes used to ply their trade on street

To leave a building, we used to follow a sign saying "exit". At most railway stations here in
PommieLand, and on the tube in London, we now follow the sign saying "Way Out". Was this decision to
use this decided by someone who was at Woodstock or the Isle of Wight Festival? Very flower power.
My favourite are signs that say "Traffic Calming". I often wonder if this means that there is free
valium available for drivers. Judging by the standard of driving I would suggest there is.

--
Trog Woolley | trog at trog hyphen oz dot demon dot co dot uk (A Croweater back residing in Pommie
Land with Linux) Isis Astarte Diana Hecate Demeter Kali Inanna

In news:[email protected], Trog Woolley <[email protected]> typed:

> At most railway stations here in PommieLand, and on the tube in London, we now follow the sign
> saying "Way Out". Was this decision to use this decided by someone who was at Woodstock or the
> Isle of Wight Festival? Very flower power.

I think it *is* one of those "quaint" British customs; but perhaps "Way Out" is deemed to be the
*normal* and *civilised* way one would leave a public building; whilst an "Exit" is something one
would use if required to leave a public building in haste; for instance if it were on fire!

> My favourite are signs that say "Traffic Calming". I often wonder if this means that there is free
> valium available for drivers. Judging by the standard of driving I would suggest there is.

There are several which say "Beware of Cyclists" when shared use paths cross the entrances to
pedestrianised zones of town centres.

Alex

Trog Woolley <[email protected]> wrote:

> To leave a building, we used to follow a sign saying "exit". At most railway stations here in
> PommieLand, and on the tube in London, we now follow the sign saying "Way Out".

Thank God we are not Romans who would leave through the Vomitorium :-(

Wallsend Metro signs have been redone Latin with "vomitorium" for the exit.
http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0100local/page.cfm?objectid=1273
4584&method=full&siteid=50081

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt
the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." George Bernard Shaw

In news:[email protected], Tony Raven <[email protected]> typed:

> Thank God we are not Romans who would leave through the Vomitorium :-(

You've obviously never been to Reading "City" Centre of a weekend then.

Incidentally there's one shared use path which forms part of the Kennetside "towpath", now part of
the Oracle centre and . I rarely use it (too much pedestrian traffic and IMO an unsuitable road
surface with too many collision opportunities); but friends do ; often I ask them "did you ride here
via Gin Lane?" (after Hogarth's painting).

Alex

> In message <[email protected]>, Eatmorepies
> <[email protected]> writes
> >Too true. Last year I remarked to one of my upper sixth boys that a particular girl looked fit -
> >he looked at me askance. I meant that even as a PE student she seemed to have an above average
> >and efficient cardio-vascular facility. We eventually understood each other.
> >
> >John
> >

> Crikey! How old are you? I'm over 40 and I know (and use) that ambiguity.

I find this one is usually okay because of context. At the end of a fell race I can quite happily
comment on some woman finishing that, "she looks pretty fit," without anyone misunderstanding me. If
I said the same thing in a pub about a woman seated opposite it would probably be meant and
interpreted the other way.

Colin

Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Colin Blackburn wrote:
>
> > I tried "fantasy island" "ze" "bus", but got a lot of dutch web pages about holidays in Hawaii.
>
> <TEDIOUS_EXPLANATION> Fantasy Island was a shite 70s TV show

One of many from said decade, unfortunately, which I was unlucky enough to have caught the tail-end
of. TV Cream (http://tv.cream.org) has lovingly catalogued most of the culprits (Cheggers Plays Pop,
anyone?) for posterity.

David E. Belcher

Dept. of Chemistry, University of York