Understanding Training

Vanquish

Mar 18, 2007
Help, I have read and read threads on training with heart rates and aerobic zones and lactate threshold but I am not grasping the HOW to set MY own zones correctly I have bought "The Lance Armstrong performance program" and have been carrying out a similar program I replicate at 3 days a week which I take the data from my hrm and put it in a spreadsheet which covers:
Ride Time
Cadence average and max
state of mind
calories used
Heart rate av and max
speed av and max
Distance
I have been writing down results for 5 weeks now
I am 27, 65kgs, max hr according to my polar is 193 my goals are increased power and endurance as I want to enter my first race. I am training on hills.
My question is how do I decipher the info? the books all refer to "zones" 50-91% of max sustainable heart rate is that 166bpm? is that also my lactate threshold? will training at that give me more endurance?
Any help is much appreciated

FWIW I have been experimenting with a heart rate formula that is close to sweet spot training for indoor workouts about 1 hour long. The high limit number should be your 1 hour time trial average heart rate.

Take 182(for Low Limit)/206(for High Limit)
Subtract your age
Now adjust these numbers based on your fitness.
If you do no working out subtract 10 beats
If you workout 1-2 times a week subtract 5 beats
If you workout 3-4 times a week leave the numbers as they are.
If you workout 5 or more times a week and have done so for a year or more, then add 5 beats to the numbers.
If you are about 60 years old or older or if you are about 20 years old or younger, add an additional 5 beats to the adjusted numbers.

Vanquish said:
Help, I have read and read threads on training with heart rates and aerobic zones and lactate threshold but I am not grasping the HOW to set MY own zones correctly I have bought "The Lance Armstrong performance program" and have been carrying out a similar program I replicate at 3 days a week which I take the data from my hrm and put it in a spreadsheet which covers:
Ride Time
Cadence average and max
state of mind
calories used
Heart rate av and max
speed av and max
Distance
I am 27, 65kgs, max hr according to my polar is 193 my goals are increased power and endurance as I want to enter my first race. I am training on hills.
My question is how do I decipher the info? the books all refer to "zones" 50-91% of max sustainable heart rate is that 166bpm? is that also my lactate threshold? will training at that give me more endurance?

Cheers
I will give that a shot, I have been reading a bit about SST training and vo2 max training which i guess is what I am after. I just cant find How to create a training plan that incorporates them.

I don't have much of a plan I just get on the bike and try to get my average HR in the lower half of that range. I was a little to strict about it in January hitting it 5 days per week I got a quantum leap in FTP then had a drop in power. Now I don't mind letting some workouts drop below the range just to prevent burnout.

Vanquish said:
Ride Time
Cadence average and max
state of mind
calories used
Heart rate av and max
speed av and max
Distance
Peter Keen, the coach that worked with Boardman to make him the best pursuit, and probably the best prologue rider ever, as well as transforming the British Cycling track team into a medal winning jugernaut, came out with four levels of training, based on heart rate back in the early 90's.

Here's a link that shows pretty much what he said but it's written by Doug Dailey who was BCF national coach back in the day but was actually a complete tosspot and more responsible for reducing rider performance than enhancing it. Even in '92 he was sending the BCF team abroad to 'get used to the heat' for the Barcelona Olympics by having them ride for 4 hours in the Spanish heat with only one water bottle...

http://www.southdownvelo.org.uk/pages/howdoi/hrm-levels.pdf

swampy1970 said:
Peter Keen, the coach that worked with Boardman to make him the best pursuit, and probably the best prologue rider ever, as well as transforming the British Cycling track team into a medal winning jugernaut, came out with four levels of training, based on heart rate back in the early 90's.

Here's a link that shows pretty much what he said but it's written by Doug Dailey who was BCF national coach back in the day but was actually a complete tosspot and more responsible for reducing rider performance than enhancing it. Even in '92 he was sending the BCF team abroad to 'get used to the heat' for the Barcelona Olympics by having them ride for 4 hours in the Spanish heat with only one water bottle...

I got loaned a training book written somewhere in the dark ages about training with what would be looked upon as water deprivation now.
I think maybe they stopped printing it and others like it due to insurance claims haha - Thanks heaps for the link..

wiredued said:
I don't have much of a plan I just get on the bike and try to get my average HR in the lower half of that range. I was a little to strict about it in January hitting it 5 days per week I got a quantum leap in FTP then had a drop in power. Now I don't mind letting some workouts drop below the range just to prevent burnout.
dff