undertaking

James G

Guest
Ive recently foudn this group, it's nice to find some other people who share my views on motor
vehicles. Whats your take on undertaking (overtaking on the inside)? Is it even legal? What about
when there is a mandatory/advisory cycle lane? I sometimes find that motorists anticipate bikes
coming up the inside (i live in Cambridge) and so position themselves to the right making it
difficult to overtake conventionally. I normally only do it in order to reach those box things in
front of traffic lights when there is a right filter lane and i want to go left or straight on.

james g wrote:
> Whats your take on undertaking (overtaking on the inside)?

As with most questions asked on Usenet, the answer is "it depends".

> Is it even legal?

Certainly. There's nothing at all wrong with undertaking in traffic, everyone does it all the time
(motor vehicles and cycles). However, just because it's perfectly legal doesn't necessarily mean
you've been seen doing it. As with any overtaking on either side, proceed only after judging it to
be safe and worth your while.

> What about when there is a mandatory/advisory cycle lane?

I didn't realise there was any such thing as a mandatory cycle lane, but in any case if the way is
clear and any signs and signals don't forbid it, you should be able to proceed, whether you're in a
cycle lane or on a road.

> I sometimes find that motorists anticipate bikes coming up the inside (i live in Cambridge) and so
> position themselves to the right making it difficult to overtake conventionally.

Try and plan ahead. I only overtake or undertake when I can see a clear space I'm going to move to,
as that way I'm unlikely to get trapped in a vulnerable spot. I'll pass on whichever side looks
safest in that particular situation. It does vary.

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

For a moment there I thought the message would be about, after your fatal accident would you like to
be cremated or burried :)

Bas

"james g" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ive recently foudn this group, it's nice to find some other people who
share
> my views on motor vehicles. Whats your take on undertaking (overtaking on the inside)? Is it even
> legal? What about when there is a
mandatory/advisory
> cycle lane? I sometimes find that motorists anticipate bikes coming up
the
> inside (i live in Cambridge) and so position themselves to the right
making
> it difficult to overtake conventionally. I normally only do it in order to reach those box things
> in front of traffic lights when there is a right filter lane and i want to go left or straight on.

In article <[email protected]>, james g <[email protected]> writes
>Ive recently foudn this group, it's nice to find some other people who share my views on motor
>vehicles. Whats your take on undertaking (overtaking on the inside)?

We all do it, but care is called for. A few days ago, while in the car, I clocked something I would
call highly dangerous. A cyclist weaving along a busy pavement (!) beside crawling traffic wanted to
make a right turn at a junction three cars ahead of me. To do that he decided to come down onto the
road two cars behind me and then turn right across the front of my car to reach the outside of the
lane. Inevitably, just before he reached the front of my car and turned across my bows, the traffic
started to move forward. He was unharmed because I'm a cyclist and I routinely check my left wing
mirror. Most drivers don't.

And always watch out, when the traffic you're undertaking is at a standstill, for the wally who
opens the passenger side door and steps out.

In other words, bear in mind that when you're undertaking you can almost guarantee you haven't been
seen. Yes, they should have been you. But they haven't.

--
The Big Baguette

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, james g wrote:

> Ive recently foudn this group, it's nice to find some other people who share my views on motor
> vehicles. Whats your take on undertaking (overtaking on the inside)? Is it even legal? What about
> when there is a mandatory/advisory cycle lane? I sometimes find that motorists anticipate bikes
> coming up the inside (i live in Cambridge) and so position themselves to the right making it
> difficult to overtake conventionally. I normally only do it in order to reach those box things in
> front of traffic lights when there is a right filter lane and i want to go left or straight on.

I have just been knocked off with damage to self and a bike "undertaking" a car in a cycle lane in
Cambridge. As the driver was indicating to turn left, he believes it to be my fault. Neither my
right away nor the fact that he would have been wiser not to overtake me immediately before turning
had occurred to him!

Had there been no cycle lane, I would not have deliberately "undertaken" unless the traffic was
stationary or in queues and there was plenty of space.

--
Daniel Auger - mailto:[email protected]

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 11:58:15 +0000, Peter Clinch
<[email protected]> wrote:

>james g wrote:
>> Whats your take on undertaking (overtaking on the inside)?
>
>As with most questions asked on Usenet, the answer is "it depends".
>
> > Is it even legal?
>
>Certainly. There's nothing at all wrong with undertaking in traffic, everyone does it all the time
>(motor vehicles and cycles). However, just because it's perfectly legal doesn't necessarily mean
>you've been seen doing it. As with any overtaking on either side, proceed only after judging it to
>be safe and worth your while.

While it is legal, just because everyone does it all the time doesn't make it so. Pedantry aside, be
very careful when taking the inside line, especially going on the inside of large vehicles. Watch
out too for pedestrians crossing berween lines of stationary motor vehicles whilst you whizz up
between them.

> > What about when there is a mandatory/advisory
>> cycle lane?
>
>I didn't realise there was any such thing as a mandatory cycle lane, but in any case if the way is
>clear and any signs and signals don't forbid it, you should be able to proceed, whether you're in a
>cycle lane or on a road.

Mandatory cycle lanes refers, I think, to those with solid white lines separating them from the rest
of the carriageway. The mandatory element means motor vehicles Must Not drive or park in them.
Advisory cycle lanes have a broken white line. Motor vehicles shouldn't park or drive in them
"unless it is unavoidable" (HC rule 119).

As cyclists we are free to use or ignore them. When undertaking both the motorist and (in my case)
the cyclist tend to switch off from each other. This can be dangerous when the cycle lane ends.

>> I sometimes find that motorists anticipate bikes coming up the inside (i live in Cambridge) and
>> so position themselves to the right making it difficult to overtake conventionally.
>
>Try and plan ahead. I only overtake or undertake when I can see a clear space I'm going to move to,
>as that way I'm unlikely to get trapped in a vulnerable spot. I'll pass on whichever side looks
>safest in that particular situation. It does vary.

For me I favour the outside line, but I'd agree with the planning ahead bit. Looking behind is also
a good move - beware other two wheeled traffic doing the same as you.

Tim

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, james g wrote:
>
> > Ive recently foudn this group, it's nice to find some other people who
share
> > my views on motor vehicles. Whats your take on undertaking (overtaking
on
> > the inside)? Is it even legal? What about when there is a
mandatory/advisory
> > cycle lane? I sometimes find that motorists anticipate bikes coming up
the
> > inside (i live in Cambridge) and so position themselves to the right
making
> > it difficult to overtake conventionally. I normally only do it in order
> > reach those box things in front of traffic lights when there is a right filter lane and i want
> > to go left or straight on.
>
> I have just been knocked off with damage to self and a bike "undertaking" a car in a cycle lane in
> Cambridge. As the driver was indicating to turn left, he believes it to be my fault. Neither my
> right away nor the fact that he would have been wiser not to overtake me immediately before
> turning had occurred to him!
>
> Had there been no cycle lane, I would not have deliberately "undertaken" unless the traffic was
> stationary or in queues and there was plenty of space.

I hope you took his details, i'm not that clued up on these things but i think you should be able to
claim off his insurance. He was probably in the wrong because vehicles turning left have to give way
to buses/cycles in bus/cycle lanes.

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, james g wrote:

> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> > I have just been knocked off with damage to self and a bike "undertaking" a car in a cycle lane
> > in Cambridge. As the driver was indicating to turn left, he believes it to be my fault. Neither
> > my right away nor the fact that he would have been wiser not to overtake me immediately before
> > turning had occurred to him!
> >
> > Had there been no cycle lane, I would not have deliberately "undertaken" unless the traffic was
> > stationary or in queues and there was plenty of space.
>
> I hope you took his details, i'm not that clued up on these things but i think you should be able
> to claim off his insurance. He was probably in the wrong because vehicles turning left have to
> give way to buses/cycles in bus/cycle lanes.

I did. However, my injuries were only slight and the damage turned out to be no more serious than a
bit of misalignment. Getting it checked and straightend out only cost me ten pounds, so it's hardly
worth the hastle of chasing him up.

DJA

<[email protected]> wrote in message news:pine.LNX.4.33.0302181610220.3559-

> > > a car in a cycle lane in Cambridge. As the driver was indicating to
turn
> > > left, he believes it to be my fault.

At what point did he overtake you? If he has only just overtaken you or are alongside him, he is in
the wrong. How long had he overtaken you in terms of seconds or feet since the back of his car
passed you.

> I did. However, my injuries were only slight and the damage turned out to be no more serious than
> a bit of misalignment. Getting it checked and straightend out only cost me ten pounds, so it's
> hardly worth the hastle of chasing him up.

Maybe, but next time they might do worse. AND he'll probably think he was in the right.

Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> > What about when there is a mandatory/advisory cycle lane?
>
> I didn't realise there was any such thing as a mandatory cycle lane, but in any case if the way is
> clear and any signs and signals don't forbid it, you should be able to proceed, whether you're in
> a cycle lane or on a road.

It's a case of unfortunate terminology. Lanes marked by broken lines are advisory and those
marked by solid ones are mandatory although they may be in force at certain times only.
"Mandatory" in this case means that motor vehicles have to keep out of them. It doesn't mean that
cycles have to use them.

--
Dave...

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 14:22:01 +0000, Tim Hall scrawled: ) Watch out too for pedestrians crossing
berween lines of stationary ) motor vehicles whilst you whizz up between them.

Yes. Ow. The memory of it makes me wince. I only wish I could do those sort of somersaults on
demand, rather than over the handlebars and the semi-prone figure of an exchange student.

She was short. The vehicles were tall.

J-P
--
Geri Halliwell's dog has been attacked by geese.

Daniel Auger wrote:
> I have just been knocked off with damage to self and a bike "undertaking" a car in a cycle lane in
> Cambridge. As the driver was indicating to turn left, he believes it to be my fault. Neither my
> right away nor the fact that he would have been wiser not to overtake me immediately before
> turning had occurred to him!

After 6 years of riding about 40-50 miles a week in Cambridge, I have not been knocked off. Er, I
have not been knocked off by a car, but I have been knocked off by a bike...

Anyway this sort of collision is avoidable. Granted a driver should not turn left into you, whether
or not there is a cycle lane. But this is a very common hazard, and you need to be aware of the high
possibility of it occuring and need to avoid it at all costs. If a driver is signalling left, pass
to the left of him ONLY if he is held up at a traffic light and you're absolutely certain that the
light will stay red long enough for you to get by, or else the traffic is so stuck that you're
absolutely certain that there is time for you to get by him before he comes up to his turn, or else
you are absolutely certain that the driver has seen you, knows you are there, and will let you
continue on before he turns left. If there is any doubt, DO NOT go to the left of him, even if you
feel it is your right to do so. It's your skin and bike that will take the damage if you take the
chance and get it wrong.

-Myra

"Myra VanInwegen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> If a driver is signalling left, pass to the left of him ONLY if ...

Blimey! I knew Cambridge was full of intellectuals - a driver signalling! Whatever next?

--
Guy
===

<[email protected]> wrote:

>james g wrote:
>> Whats your take on undertaking (overtaking on the inside)?
>
>As with most questions asked on Usenet, the answer is "it depends".
>
> > Is it even legal?
>
>Certainly. There's nothing at all wrong with undertaking in traffic, everyone does it all the time
>(motor vehicles and cycles).

Hummm...I've often wondered about this. It's been a while since I looked at the highway code <that
memorable day!!>. Whenever I undertake on the left, I am always saying to myself, 'at your own peril
my son, if anything goes wrong here, you won't have a leg to stand on in relation to liability...not
undertaking on the left in this situation'. ??

And I'm refering to undertaking in a slow moving line of traffic, not undertaking a car that is
waiting and signalling to turn right, for example.

In pure legal/highway code laws is it not 'illegal' to undertake, within a single lane/road??

Just not clear about this at all!

bob

On 18 Feb 2003, Myra VanInwegen wrote:

> Daniel Auger wrote:
> > I have just been knocked off with damage to self and a bike "undertaking" a car in a cycle lane
> > in Cambridge. As the driver was indicating to turn left, he believes it to be my fault. Neither
> > my right away nor the fact that he would have been wiser not to overtake me immediately before
> > turning had occurred to him!
>
> After 6 years of riding about 40-50 miles a week in Cambridge, I have not been knocked off. Er, I
> have not been knocked off by a car, but I have been knocked off by a bike...
>
> Anyway this sort of collision is avoidable. Granted a driver should not turn left into you,
> whether or not there is a cycle lane. But this is a very common hazard, and you need to be aware
> of the high possibility of it occuring and need to avoid it at all costs. If a driver is
> signalling left, pass to the left of him ONLY if he is held up at a traffic light and you're
> absolutely certain that the light will stay red long enough for you to get by, or else the traffic
> is so stuck that you're absolutely certain that there is time for you to get by him before he
> comes up to his turn, or else you are absolutely certain that the driver has seen you, knows you
> are there, and will let you continue on before he turns left. If there is any doubt, DO NOT go to
> the left of him, even if you feel it is your right to do so. It's your skin and bike that will
> take the damage if you take the chance and get it wrong.

This would have been easier had he not just overtaken me. :) I didn't really have enough
time to stop.

--

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, W K wrote:

> turn
>
> At what point did he overtake you? If he has only just overtaken you or are alongside him, he is
> in the wrong. How long had he overtaken you in terms of seconds or feet since the back of his car
> passed you.

Not very much before - not enough time for me to avoid the collision.

The Highway Code suggests that he would have been wrong in any case. See
http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/16.shtml#158

--
Daniel Auger - mailto:[email protected]

Isn't it the case in the Netherlands that cyclists have absolute right of way over motorists and
that motorists are always deemed to be at fault in incidents involving cyclists? I'm sure this has
been explained to me by several locals when I've been in the Netherlands.
--
Michael MacClancy

[email protected] wrote:

>> At what point did he overtake you? If he has only just overtaken you or are alongside him, he is
>> in the wrong. How long had he overtaken you in terms of seconds or feet since the back of his car
>> passed you.
>
> Not very much before - not enough time for me to avoid the collision.
>
> The Highway Code suggests that he would have been wrong in any case. See
> http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/16.shtml#158

Was there a give way line on your cycle path at the junction that might have suggested you should
give way to left turning traffic?
--
Michael MacClancy

"Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Isn't it the case in the Netherlands that cyclists have absolute right of way over motorists and
> that motorists are always deemed to be at fault in incidents involving cyclists? I'm sure this has
> been explained to me by several locals when I've been in the Netherlands.

I think you may be confusing the insurance requirements. I understand that there is effectively a no
fault system such that the car drivers insurance pay (unless the driver can show the cyclist behaved
maliciously). I don't think cyclist have an absolute right of way any more than pedestrians have
here -- though it is still considered bad form to run them down -- even if they are standing in the
middle of your lane.

:eek:

Tony W wrote:

> I think you may be confusing the insurance requirements.

No, perhaps my informants were confusing the insurance requirements. ;-)
--
Michael MacClancy