Underwear under tights?

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 00:51:08 GMT, "Claire Petersky"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Want my pair? I bought them on clearance, just to give them a whirl, and I
>thought they were awful. They feel like you are wearing a pair of soggy
>diapers. But if they're your preference, I'll send you mine -- just email me
>your address.

Hi Claire, thanks for the offer, but I doubt that we are the same
size. I wear a mens large and yours would be a ??? in the female
version.
Aren't the women's shorts equiped with a different shaped chamois than
the men's shorts?

Life is Good!
Jeff

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 00:00:41 GMT, "Beverly" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>If I'm doing rides over 20 miles I'll use A&D ointment. I've never tried
>anything else as this seems to work fine for me.
>
>Beverly

Hi, I have tried A&D, the Bodyglide and Sixtufit Olympia Gesasscreme
are better. The A&D doesn't last as long.

Life is Good!
Jeff

Claire Petersky wrote:

> "Jeff Starr" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>> Maybe because of my artificial leg, I am not your average rider, but
>> for me, the Performance Century Gel shorts are the best for me on a
>> distance over about 25 miles.

> Want my pair? I bought them on clearance, just to give them a whirl,
> and I thought they were awful. They feel like you are wearing a pair
> of soggy diapers. But if they're your preference, I'll send you mine
> -- just email me your address.

The complaints I've heard about these is they don't breathe and get sweaty, and
that the edge of the pad chafes.

Matt O.

Joshua Putnam wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>
>> And having used both traditional chamois and what you call "fake,"
>> I'll take the "fake" stuff any day. After a few washings the genuine
>> chamois would dry out, become stiff, and crack. The imitation
>> chamois is more comfortable and lasts much longer. It is far
>> superior, just as modern jersey fabrics are superior to wool.

Wool is still good stuff, at least for tops. It performs as well as anything,
it's just a pain to take care of. Good wool jerseys are also quite expensive.
The great thing about wool is that you can go for awhile without washing it --
just hang it and it airs out. So it could be a great solution for a commuter,
who doesn't want to wash cycling clothes every day.

> I didn't mind real chamois, though it did require more maintenance
> than synthetics. But I'm perfectly happy with a good synthetic
> chamois on rides of any length, and they dry faster when you line-dry
> your shorts while touring. (Nothing like starting a 150-mile day
> with wet shorts...)

Real chamois is a pain. It doesn't work as well, it's a pain to take care of,
and it wears out. It never quite dries overnight, so you're putting on damp
shorts every day, and having to use that cream to prevent chafe.

My favorite shorts are some old Hind ones with synthetic chamois. It's just
like real chamois in texture, but dries completely overnight without hardening.

Since I can't find these anymore, I've had good luck with Voler. Great
quality -- better than the better lines of the big brands that cost twice as
much. The pads seem a little thick at first, but either compress or I get used
to them after a couple of rides. Too much padding in both shorts and saddle can
lead to numbness for me.

Matt O.

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 01:28:40 -0400, Matt O'Toole <[email protected]> wrote:

> Joshua Putnam wrote:
>
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> [email protected] says...
>>
>>> And having used both traditional chamois and what you call "fake,"
>>> I'll take the "fake" stuff any day. After a few washings the genuine
>>> chamois would dry out, become stiff, and crack. The imitation
>>> chamois is more comfortable and lasts much longer. It is far
>>> superior, just as modern jersey fabrics are superior to wool.

> Wool is still good stuff, at least for tops. It performs as well as
> anything,
> it's just a pain to take care of. Good wool jerseys are also quite
> expensive.
> The great thing about wool is that you can go for awhile without washing
> it --
> just hang it and it airs out. So it could be a great solution for a
> commuter,
> who doesn't want to wash cycling clothes every day.
>
>> I didn't mind real chamois, though it did require more maintenance
>> than synthetics. But I'm perfectly happy with a good synthetic
>> chamois on rides of any length, and they dry faster when you line-dry
>> your shorts while touring. (Nothing like starting a 150-mile day
>> with wet shorts...)

> Real chamois is a pain. It doesn't work as well, it's a pain to take
> care of,
> and it wears out. It never quite dries overnight, so you're putting on
> damp
> shorts every day, and having to use that cream to prevent chafe.
>
> My favorite shorts are some old Hind ones with synthetic chamois. It's
> just
> like real chamois in texture, but dries completely overnight without
> hardening.
>
> Since I can't find these anymore, I've had good luck with Voler. Great
> quality -- better than the better lines of the big brands that cost
> twice as
> much. The pads seem a little thick at first, but either compress or I
> get used
> to them after a couple of rides. Too much padding in both shorts and
> saddle can
> lead to numbness for me.
>
> Matt O.

For the winter I have found a combo that works unless I get to sycling too
vigorously. U just use the usual underwear, then long bottom sweat pants,
then my trademark Levis and no chafing problems. What does happen is I
will start out with a tee shirt on top, then a long sleeved sweat shirt,
topped by a zip up jacket. If I am just goofing around I don't get cold,
but as soon as I start to crank it up I get hot. First the sweat tops go
into the back pack, then the jacket and I put back on the sweat tops.
Any further effort or temperature rise has me putting (cramming) both into
the back pack or wrapping the sweats around my handlebars. If I really get
into it like hill climbing and the 45 degree (F) morning turns into a 65
degree day I may wind up just going topless (guys option) since I stll have
a set of double leggings. I may have to get saddle bags or whatever the
cool
name is these days to keep adjusting clothing.
Anybody else with a plan to be self sufficient for 60 to 120 miles?
Bill Baka, Now carrying a 'Monkey Grip' patch kit with huge patches and
scizzors
to cut the right size patch.
Bye.

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 00:49:08 GMT, "Claire Petersky"
<[email protected]>:

>I thought I was the only person who used the expression, "nether regions" --
>or maybe you learned it from me?

No, it's pretty common in England.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

"Matt O'Toole" wrote:

> Art Harris wrote:

>>> The imitation
>>> chamois is more comfortable and lasts much longer. It is far
>>> superior, just as modern jersey fabrics are superior to wool.

> Wool is still good stuff, at least for tops. It performs as well as
> anything,
> it's just a pain to take care of. Good wool jerseys are also quite
> expensive.
> The great thing about wool is that you can go for awhile without washing
> it --
> just hang it and it airs out. So it could be a great solution for a
> commuter,
> who doesn't want to wash cycling clothes every day.

OK, wool has some good qualities. But it's hot in the summer, itchy all the
time, and dreadful in the rain. Besides that, it's expensive, takes forever
to dry, and often loses its shape. Oh yeah, and the moths love to eat it.
;->

Art Harris

"Hunrobe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >the black rose [email protected]

> wrote:
>
> >So far, I haven't had any problem with friction or chafing
> >or what-have-you, but I haven't ridden more than 35 miles.

> You will though and it's worth mentioning that creams and balms aren't

the only
> products available to combat friction. I often use BodyGlide, a

non-petroleum
> based waxlike product that looks and is applied just like a solid

underarm
> antiperspirant. It's not quite as effective as some creams are on long

rides
> but it is much less messy, i.e., no "slathering" required.

I tried some of that. It's very different than most ointments. I found that
it sort of glued the chamois to my skin. I don't think that's a bad thing,
as it's better to not have your skin move relative to the chamois at all
rather than just trying to reduce friction. The real benefit of these
treatments is to waterproof the skin anyway.

I haven't had a chance to try BodyGlide on a really long ride, I don't
usually have a problem with soreness until well after 100 miles, and I
don't do those rides often. I worry that it won't be quite as effective as
Vaseline & lanolin for waterproofing.

"Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote
..

> Since I can't find these anymore, I've had good luck with Voler. Great
> quality -- better than the better lines of the big brands that cost twice

as
> much. The pads seem a little thick at first, but either compress or I

get used
> to them after a couple of rides. Too much padding in both shorts and

saddle can
> lead to numbness for me.

I don't really like the Voler pads. They're very thick -- too bulky, and
they're textured, the surface has ribbing. I can wear PI for 100+ rides,
even on consecutive days, without problems, but the Voler chafes after 30
miles or so. The PI chamois is very thin and conforms to the skin well.
Also very durable, some of my shorts have been used (& washed) more than
once a week for 5-10 years and are still just as comfortable.

"Jeff Starr" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 00:00:41 GMT, "Beverly" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> >If I'm doing rides over 20 miles I'll use A&D ointment. I've never tried
> >anything else as this seems to work fine for me.
> >
> >Beverly
> >

> Hi, I have tried A&D, the Bodyglide and Sixtufit Olympia Gesasscreme
> are better. The A&D doesn't last as long.
>

> Life is Good!
> Jeff

I'll have to give the others a try on longer rides. This summer most rides
have been in the 25-50 mile range. Next summer I hope to increase this
number. I'm aiming for the first 100 mile day.

Beverly

In article <[email protected]>,
Joshua Putnam <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...

snip

> I didn't mind real chamois, though it did require more maintenance than
> synthetics. But I'm perfectly happy with a good synthetic chamois on
> rides of any length, and they dry faster when you line-dry your shorts
> while touring. (Nothing like starting a 150-mile day with wet shorts...)

Have to agree on the wet shorts, but have had to do it many times.

It ALWAYS rains when I tour.

As an annecdote, when I did my last coast to coast tour, unsupported, I carried
2 pairs of PI Microsensor shorts, and 8 pairs of Patagonia Capilene briefs.

Kept the olde **** dry even when the shorts were wet.

HAND

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 13:11:33 GMT, "Beverly" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> Hi, I have tried A&D, the Bodyglide and Sixtufit Olympia Gesasscreme
>> are better. The A&D doesn't last as long.
>>

>> Life is Good!
>> Jeff

>I'll have to give the others a try on longer rides. This summer most rides
>have been in the 25-50 mile range. Next summer I hope to increase this
>number. I'm aiming for the first 100 mile day.
>
>Beverly

Hi Beverly, I would suggest that you experiment before the longer
rides. The Sixtufit Olympia Gesasscreme always leaves my skin feeling
soft and damage free. It really is an interesting product. The labels
and all info on the box, is in German, so I have no idea what the
details are. I tried using a translation program, but it wasn't real
helpful.

Good luck on that first century. I did my first metric century, this
summer. It was an accomplishment, that I am proud of. It wasn't easy,
and the last 4-5 miles was in a driving rain. I did it with a fellow I
had met while out riding. We have become friends and ride together,
every so often. He is a much stronger rider, than I, and I am quite
certain, that without his encouragement and wind breaking, I wouldn't
have made it.

Life is Good!
Jeff

"Jeff Starr" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 13:11:33 GMT, "Beverly" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> >> Hi, I have tried A&D, the Bodyglide and Sixtufit Olympia Gesasscreme
> >> are better. The A&D doesn't last as long.
> >>

> >> Life is Good!
> >> Jeff

> >I'll have to give the others a try on longer rides. This summer most

rides
> >have been in the 25-50 mile range. Next summer I hope to increase this
> >number. I'm aiming for the first 100 mile day.
> >
> >Beverly
> >

> Hi Beverly, I would suggest that you experiment before the longer
> rides. The Sixtufit Olympia Gesasscreme always leaves my skin feeling
> soft and damage free. It really is an interesting product. The labels
> and all info on the box, is in German, so I have no idea what the
> details are. I tried using a translation program, but it wasn't real
> helpful.
>
> Good luck on that first century. I did my first metric century, this
> summer. It was an accomplishment, that I am proud of. It wasn't easy,
> and the last 4-5 miles was in a driving rain. I did it with a fellow I
> had met while out riding. We have become friends and ride together,
> every so often. He is a much stronger rider, than I, and I am quite
> certain, that without his encouragement and wind breaking, I wouldn't
> have made it.
>

> Life is Good!
> Jeff

Thanks for the suggestions. I will experiment on my shorter rides.

I do most of my riding with fellow bike patrolmen on the local trails. Many
are experienced riders and have been encouraging, too. Riding with them has
certainly improved my biking skills. At age 61, I've bought my first road
bike, switched to clipless pedals and started tackling hills! The century
is my next challenge.

Beverly

> On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 00:49:08 GMT, "Claire Petersky"
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> <[email protected]>:
>
> >I thought I was the only person who used the expression, "nether

regions" --
> >or maybe you learned it from me?

> No, it's pretty common in England.

Then I must have picked it up from someone from over there. It's a great
euphemism.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 09:08:12 -0600, Jeff Starr <[email protected]>
wrote:

>The Sixtufit Olympia Gesasscreme always leaves my skin feeling
>soft and damage free. It really is an interesting product. The labels
>and all info on the box, is in German, so I have no idea what the
>details are.

Howdy,

It's toothpaste...! <BG>

--
Kenneth

Arthur Harris <[email protected]> wrote:
> OK, wool has some good qualities. But it's hot in the summer, itchy all the
> time, and dreadful in the rain. Besides that, it's expensive, takes forever
> to dry, and often loses its shape. Oh yeah, and the moths love to eat it.

it's great in the rain. what're you talking about? especially cold rain.
yow, what is it you think the good qualities are then, i'm curious to know.
i don't find it itchy or hot, mine don't lose shape (swobo or woolistic).
everything dries quickly here in the desert so i wouldn't know about that
and we don't have moths. the normal woolistic (which are always out of
stock) of woolywarm aren't particuliarly expensive compared to most
jerseys either.
--
david reuteler
[email protected]