Underwear with Cycling Shorts?

IndyRider

Aug 13, 2005
I have just started riding. I am still using my husband's log in for this forum, but I was wondering are women "supposed" to wear underwear under their cycling shorts while riding? I know that my husband does not, but I wondered if it worked the same for women. Thanks for your input.

IndyRider's Wife

IndyRider said:
I have just started riding. I am still using my husband's log in for this forum, but I was wondering are women "supposed" to wear underwear under their cycling shorts while riding? I know that my husband does not, but I wondered if it worked the same for women. Thanks for your input.

IndyRider's Wife

Speaking for my wife that rides and has ridden for years, no. Aviod the seams and wrinkles between you and the saddle as much as possible.

jhuskey said:
Speaking for my wife that rides and has ridden for years, no. Aviod the seams and wrinkles between you and the saddle as much as possible.
Correct. No undies.

No underwear under cycling shorts (if you mean the padded type). Also make sure the shorts are a snug fit and the padding is not too thick, because otherwise you will get bunching and inevitably that will lead to chafing.

If you are concerned about messing up your shorts with menstrual blood or other secretions ..... don't worry, they wash out just fine. Just put them in the wash as soon as possible after wearing them. A little bit of soap or liquid laundry detergent rubbed into the padding before you throw them in the washing machine will help get them really clean. I wash my cycling clothes separately from other clothing at a temperature of 40C - about 100F - using liquid laundry detergent without fabric softener and they come out fine.

Whichever you're comfortable with. You can wear something under it but choose something that won't irritate your skin.

I had no idea...thanks for the advice before I get on my bike!

but really...not even a thong? Will it make it that uncomfortable?

do you wear underwear under your underwear? there's no point in wearing something under a garment that's designed to go against your skin. and i'd think a thong would be terrible on a long ride. that string sawing at your...ummm....

and yeah. it feels a bit weird when you put the shorts on and look in the mirror. and then you get with the other riders and everyone is in bike shorts and no one notices your shorts.

ah ha! Thanks for the visual! I can pretty much gather what you are saying! No thongs...got it! Im still learning here....bear with me!:p

I go commando and I have far fewer issues with saddle sores as a result. I also like shebeest shorts for reducing friction on the lady bits.

Have to disagree! I'd never consider not wearing a thong under my cycling shorts. Didn't realise I was strange in this regard. It just felt natural to me and I've not found it uncomfortable at all. Each to his own I guess.

hilaryworton said:
Have to disagree! I'd never consider not wearing a thong under my cycling shorts. Didn't realise I was strange in this regard. It just felt natural to me and I've not found it uncomfortable at all. Each to his own I guess.
have you ever tried riding without?

Tried it today sans knicks and I have to say I suffered with a bit of chaffing. :eek: Maybe it's because it was quite warm out. I'll try again but am tempted to go back to my trusty thong...

I do not like to wear underwear under cycling shorts. I had wore one time but it was so much uncomfortable after that. I was forced to change immediately in a single hour.

From a male's perspective...

Now, maybe it was the brand of cycling shorts, but my wife decided to go commando last week on a ride because I told her I could see her underwear through her shorts. This made matters worse, because she pulled ahead of me and when she got in front of me, I could see her buttcrack through her shorts, because the rear seam of the shorts weren't lined up exactly with her buttcrack.

I wound up riding shirtless so she could cover herself... :eek:

So, women, us men would prefer you ride sans-panties, but if I were you, I'd at least wear a thong... ;)

Underwear with cycling shorts are fine in the same load of laundry. Keep seperate when using.

davereo said:
Underwear with cycling shorts are fine in the same load of laundry. Keep seperate when using.

My wife would not agree with you about the laundry.