Underwear with Cycling Shorts?

jhuskey said:
My wife would not agree with you about the laundry.
Mine too. Thats why I have been relegated to doing my own laundry...Well I do line dry my cycling shorts inside out. Makes me happy...LOL

davereo said:
Mine too. Thats why I have been relegated to doing my own laundry...Well I do line dry my cycling shorts inside out. Makes me happy...LOL

I am not allowed to do the laundry. Oh the deprivation! ;)

GT Fanatic said:
From a male's perspective...

Now, maybe it was the brand of cycling shorts, but my wife decided to go commando last week on a ride because I told her I could see her underwear through her shorts. This made matters worse, because she pulled ahead of me and when she got in front of me, I could see her buttcrack through her shorts, because the rear seam of the shorts weren't lined up exactly with her buttcrack.

I wound up riding shirtless so she could cover herself... :eek:

So, women, us men would prefer you ride sans-panties, but if I were you, I'd at least wear a thong... ;)

This is why shorts should be black and of good quality...

If you don't wear underwear, do you also shave? I mean, I'd hate to think about how much pulling and tugging they'd be because of friction. It makes me go "ouch!" just thinking about it.

swampy1970 said:
This is why shorts should be black and of good quality...

They are black. :confused:

While they certainly aren't top of the line at $50+, they weren't $19 specials at Performance Bicycle, either...

GT Fanatic said:
They are black. :confused:

While they certainly aren't top of the line at $50+, they weren't $19 specials at Performance Bicycle, either...

That's a bit weird...all of my shorts come up to just below the belly button--no chance of crack!

To the original post:
bike shorts with padding are meant to be worn sans undies. I've never tried wearing underwear with my bike shorts. I think it might cause more friction? plus, I find that the lycra is flattering on me...wouldn't want to ruin that with panty lines. :p

mingcat9 said:
That's a bit weird...all of my shorts come up to just below the belly button--no chance of crack!

To the original post:
bike shorts with padding are meant to be worn sans undies. I've never tried wearing underwear with my bike shorts. I think it might cause more friction? plus, I find that the lycra is flattering on me...wouldn't want to ruin that with panty lines. :p

Her crack was visible through the shorts, not above them. :eek:

GT Fanatic said:
Her crack was visible through the shorts, not above them. :eek:

Ah...that's terrible.i can't imagine that would be comfortable! all i can think of is that maybe it's a fit issue with the shorts.

mingcat9 said:
Ah...that's terrible.i can't imagine that would be comfortable! all i can think of is that maybe it's a fit issue with the shorts.

I think it's more of a material issue than a fit issue. :eek:

My wife got me a bib short for my birthday the size chart, by waist, said I should be a med. My hips and butt are larger than my waist would suggest and we had to exchange the shorts for a large so my ass crack wouldn't show. Size certainly is a factor.

For the sake of all that is holy, DO NOT WEAR UNDERWEAR WITH CYCLING SHORTS!

I wear a very thin bikini-style underwear with the bib short (male).

Cannot abide buttcrack cheese and/or "drippings" going directly into the very expensive cycling shorts. The post-pee dripping is very acidic and will ultimately deteriorate the garment. Better to have that thin layer of cotton there.

Well, you asked!

For my opinion about panties while riding is that you probly shouldnt wear like regular panties with your riding shorts but for me i wear thongs everyday so its just second nature to wear a thong or g string with my shorts. There really not enough material to bunch up or anything with a good quality thong or g string. So thongs are beat for me and on the other hand NO PANTIE LINES. And if you dont feel sexy while excercising younprobly wont be too motivated.

doiturself said:
I wear a very thin bikini-style underwear with the bib short (male). Cannot abide buttcrack cheese and/or "drippings" going directly into the very expensive cycling shorts.  The post-pee dripping is very acidic and will ultimately deteriorate the garment.  Better to have that thin layer of cotton there. Well, you asked!
Buttcrack cheese? WTF. Do they have baths/showers in your neck of the woods?

Have to say- I was in a bad accident riding and the only thing I wound up KEEPING was my underwear. Everything else got cut off me during the ambulance ride. I would avoid wearing anything with lace but I wear a g-string and I've never had a problem- even when I went up to 25+ miles.

Although, in retrospect, I spent most of that ambulance ride unconscious (and the following few hours)...but it still sticks in my head. I've had accidents cycling- I want underwear! LOL.

Originally Posted by Nitefeatherz
Although, in retrospect, I spent most of that ambulance ride unconscious (and the following few hours)...but it still sticks in my head. I've had accidents cycling- I want underwear! LOL.
Thats a good point, but remember ambo's are just doing a job. They shouldn't be getting their jolly's by looking at ours or any patients bits.

Do NOT wear underwear under cycling shorts. If you think thongs are ok then you are doing it wrong. You dont sit on your **** cheeks you sit on your front bum. Like men sit on their gooch. Therefore I would say that it is more important that women are comfortable. Company's spend lots of money on R&D through world tour teams to develop shorts which are comfortable for riding. Why would you undo all that by wearing underwear. If you end up getting saddle sores it can be quite serious, I have heared of people needing surgery. People who say that they are more comfortable with underwear obviously don't do much cycling.