Underweight, yet overfat

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Scott Johnson, Mar 1, 2005.

  1. HangNail wrote:
    > I've been doing Atkins for about year and have lost a great amount of
    > weight. I'm a guy, 25, 5'11" and weight 155 (down from 200lbs).
    >
    > The problem is, I still have the lovehandles that I set out to get rid of.
    > I've been reading online that I now have to get rid of my bodyfat, not just
    > weight.
    >
    > What would be the best way to go about this? I'm going to start exercising,
    > but what kind of exercising (weights, cardio, both?). And should I be LCing
    > while I'm doing this?

    Keep the LC diet, make sure you're in a caloric
    deficit, and do a full body weight workout 3 times
    a week and cardio 3-4 times a week.

    Google groups search on mfw full body routines:

    http://tinyurl.com/62of4

    --
    Scott Johnson / scottjohnson at kc dot rr dot com

    Tags:

  2. HangNail

    HangNail Guest

    I've been doing Atkins for about year and have lost a great amount of
    weight. I'm a guy, 25, 5'11" and weight 155 (down from 200lbs).

    The problem is, I still have the lovehandles that I set out to get rid of.
    I've been reading online that I now have to get rid of my bodyfat, not just
    weight.

    What would be the best way to go about this? I'm going to start exercising,
    but what kind of exercising (weights, cardio, both?). And should I be LCing
    while I'm doing this?

    Thanks.

  3. Jay

    Jay Guest

    Both!
    What is LCing?
    "HangNail" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I've been doing Atkins for about year and have lost a great amount of
    > weight. I'm a guy, 25, 5'11" and weight 155 (down from 200lbs).
    >
    > The problem is, I still have the lovehandles that I set out to get rid of.
    > I've been reading online that I now have to get rid of my bodyfat, not
    > just weight.
    >
    > What would be the best way to go about this? I'm going to start
    > exercising, but what kind of exercising (weights, cardio, both?). And
    > should I be LCing while I'm doing this?
    >
    > Thanks.

  4. "HangNail" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I've been doing Atkins for about year and have lost a great amount of
    > weight. I'm a guy, 25, 5'11" and weight 155 (down from 200lbs).
    >
    > The problem is, I still have the lovehandles that I set out to get rid
    > of. I've been reading online that I now have to get rid of my bodyfat,
    > not just weight.
    >
    > What would be the best way to go about this? I'm going to start
    > exercising, but what kind of exercising (weights, cardio, both?). And
    > should I be LCing while I'm doing this?

    Lift weights. I'm your weight, 3 inches shorter, and everyone here
    tells me I've got no muscles - put some meat on those bones.

    Google "ketosis tkd" and "ketosis ckd" and see if those low-carb
    variations used by some lifters sound good to you.

    Get your bodyfat percentage checked and keep an eye on that - good to be
    able to compare overall bodyweight with bodyfat percentage.

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com

  5. HangNail

    HangNail Guest

    Scott Johnson wrote:
    > HangNail wrote:
    >> I've been doing Atkins for about year and have lost a great amount of
    >> weight. I'm a guy, 25, 5'11" and weight 155 (down from 200lbs).
    >>
    >> The problem is, I still have the lovehandles that I set out to get rid
    >> of. I've been reading online that I now have to get rid of my bodyfat,
    >> not just weight.
    >>
    >> What would be the best way to go about this? I'm going to start
    >> exercising, but what kind of exercising (weights, cardio, both?). And
    >> should I be LCing while I'm doing this?

    > Keep the LC diet, make sure you're in a caloric
    > deficit, and do a full body weight workout 3 times
    > a week and cardio 3-4 times a week.
    >
    > Google groups search on mfw full body routines:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/62of4

    Thanks for your response (and to everyone else who responded as well).

    Since I'm going to be doing this, should I incorporate any supplements into
    my routine? I currently only take a multivitamin. I've read good things
    about CLA though.

  6. Preacher

    Preacher Guest

    Steve Freides <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "HangNail" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > I've been doing Atkins for about year and have lost a great amount of
    > > weight. I'm a guy, 25, 5'11" and weight 155 (down from 200lbs).
    > >
    > > The problem is, I still have the lovehandles that I set out to get rid
    > > of. I've been reading online that I now have to get rid of my bodyfat,
    > > not just weight.
    > >
    > > What would be the best way to go about this? I'm going to start
    > > exercising, but what kind of exercising (weights, cardio, both?). And
    > > should I be LCing while I'm doing this?

    > Lift weights. I'm your weight, 3 inches shorter, and everyone here
    > tells me I've got no muscles - put some meat on those bones.
    >
    > Google "ketosis tkd" and "ketosis ckd" and see if those low-carb
    > variations used by some lifters sound good to you.
    >
    > Get your bodyfat percentage checked and keep an eye on that - good to be
    > able to compare overall bodyweight with bodyfat percentage.

    Agreed on all counts. 155 seems kind of light for a guy 5'11", no matter
    what the BMI charts say (and I think they'd say you're a little light).
    Regardless, congrats on your weight loss - that's a serious chunk to
    drop. How long did it take?

    As for the love handles, they'll go away if your bodyfat percentage is
    low enough. Fat is stored on your body according to a genetic plan, and
    apparently, that's where your body likes for it to be.

    You can get a rough idea of your bodyfat by getting some bodyfat
    calipers and learning to do measurements on yourself. It's probably not
    as good as having a trained professional do it, but if you can learn to
    do it consistently, you'll at least be able to keep track of your
    progress.

    Finally, in terms of lifting, check out the following websites for
    enough good information to get you started. Good luck!

    http://www.trygve.com/mfw_faq.html
    http://www.exrx.net/index.html
    http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html

  7. Jason Earl

    Jason Earl Guest

    "HangNail" <[email protected]> writes:

    > I've been doing Atkins for about year and have lost a great amount
    > of weight. I'm a guy, 25, 5'11" and weight 155 (down from 200lbs).
    >
    > The problem is, I still have the lovehandles that I set out to get
    > rid of. I've been reading online that I now have to get rid of my
    > bodyfat, not just weight.
    >
    > What would be the best way to go about this? I'm going to start
    > exercising, but what kind of exercising (weights, cardio, both?).
    > And should I be LCing while I'm doing this?

    The problem with any diet is that you inevitably lose muscle along
    with the fat. This lowers your metabolism and forces you to consume
    even less calories to continue losing weight. Let me guess you've
    gotten down to 155 pounds and then you have basically stopped losing
    weight, even on the Atkins diet. Your body desperately wants to hold
    onto its existing fat stores (as they are the body's defense against
    lean times), and so it sacrifices muscle instead.

    I am no expert, but I certainly saw a huge difference in my own body
    composition when I added weight lifting. You have to give your body a
    reason to burn its last fat reserves instead of muscle, and resistance
    training did the trick for me. I know folks that have also gotten rid
    of essentially all of their body fat through cardio, but in my opinion
    this has two major drawbacks. The first is that it takes quite a bit
    of cardio per week to get lean from cardio. The runners that I know
    that are truly lean put in over 25 miles a week. The second problem
    is that when you are done you look like a long distance runner (the
    human equivalent of beef jerky).

    My $0.02
    Jason

  8. HangNail

    HangNail Guest

    Jason Earl wrote:
    > "HangNail" <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    >> I've been doing Atkins for about year and have lost a great amount
    >> of weight. I'm a guy, 25, 5'11" and weight 155 (down from 200lbs).
    >>
    >> The problem is, I still have the lovehandles that I set out to get
    >> rid of. I've been reading online that I now have to get rid of my
    >> bodyfat, not just weight.
    >>
    >> What would be the best way to go about this? I'm going to start
    >> exercising, but what kind of exercising (weights, cardio, both?).
    >> And should I be LCing while I'm doing this?

    > The problem with any diet is that you inevitably lose muscle along
    > with the fat. This lowers your metabolism and forces you to consume
    > even less calories to continue losing weight. Let me guess you've
    > gotten down to 155 pounds and then you have basically stopped losing
    > weight, even on the Atkins diet. Your body desperately wants to hold
    > onto its existing fat stores (as they are the body's defense against
    > lean times), and so it sacrifices muscle instead.

    I think you just hit the nail on the head. I went back into induction (the
    beginning and hardest part of the Atkins diet) after I stopped losing
    weight. I lost more weight on induction, but my waist didn't change an
    inch.

  9. HangNail wrote:

    > Thanks for your response (and to everyone else who responded as well).
    >
    > Since I'm going to be doing this, should I incorporate any supplements into
    > my routine? I currently only take a multivitamin. I've read good things
    > about CLA though.

    Just about everyone here takes a multi and fish
    oil. I also take a MSM/glucosamine/chondro stack
    and tons of B5 for my acne.

    CLA is worthless unless you're a rat. You can
    still get ephedrine to make an EC from a few
    places on the web, although you're limited to six
    bottles an order now.

    And after you lose your love handles please try to
    bulk up to at least 175 or so. :)

    --
    Scott Johnson / scottjohnson at kc dot rr dot com

  10. Jason Earl

    Jason Earl Guest

    "HangNail" <[email protected]> writes:

    > Jason Earl wrote:
    >> "HangNail" <[email protected]> writes:
    >>
    >>> I've been doing Atkins for about year and have lost a great amount
    >>> of weight. I'm a guy, 25, 5'11" and weight 155 (down from 200lbs).
    >>>
    >>> The problem is, I still have the lovehandles that I set out to get
    >>> rid of. I've been reading online that I now have to get rid of my
    >>> bodyfat, not just weight.
    >>>
    >>> What would be the best way to go about this? I'm going to start
    >>> exercising, but what kind of exercising (weights, cardio, both?).
    >>> And should I be LCing while I'm doing this?

    >> The problem with any diet is that you inevitably lose muscle along
    >> with the fat. This lowers your metabolism and forces you to
    >> consume even less calories to continue losing weight. Let me guess
    >> you've gotten down to 155 pounds and then you have basically
    >> stopped losing weight, even on the Atkins diet. Your body
    >> desperately wants to hold onto its existing fat stores (as they are
    >> the body's defense against lean times), and so it sacrifices muscle
    >> instead.

    > I think you just hit the nail on the head. I went back into
    > induction (the beginning and hardest part of the Atkins diet) after
    > I stopped losing weight. I lost more weight on induction, but my
    > waist didn't change an inch.

    The good news is that not only will weightlifting dramatically change
    how your body looks, but it's fun too :). There's a real sense of
    accomplishment in lifting heavy stuff up over your head.

    I still consider myself a beginner at weightlifting, but I have been
    serious about diet and exercise for quite some time. Going from
    barely being able to waddle a mile to being able to jog two or three
    was cool, but it wasn't nearly as cool as my first few months of
    weight lifting. Every time I picked up the weights I could lift more
    and muscles started popping out in the darnedest of places.

    At 5'11" and a buck-fifty you could stand to put a little meat on your
    bones my friend. You've already mastered the hard part (controlling
    your diet), now you get to do the fun part (moving heavy stuff and
    getting huge).

    Don't get me wrong, throw in a bit of cardio for your heart, but do
    yourself a favor and either join a gym or purchase some free weights
    and get lifting. Even 20 minutes three or four times a week makes a
    big difference.

    Jason

  11. John

    John Guest

    "Scott Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > HangNail wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks for your response (and to everyone else who responded as well).
    > >
    > > Since I'm going to be doing this, should I incorporate any supplements

    into
    > > my routine? I currently only take a multivitamin. I've read good

    things
    > > about CLA though.

    > Just about everyone here takes a multi and fish
    > oil. I also take a MSM/glucosamine/chondro stack
    > and tons of B5 for my acne.

    B5 for acne? Hmmm. How much do you take? How much is recommended? Face or
    body acne?

  12. pvd

    pvd Guest

    Is B5 the proper name of the supplement which prevents acne?

    Cheers

    Sin

    PS - Just don't want to get embarrased going into the health store and
    asking for something and having to explain why I want it.....I'm sure you
    understand :]

    http://www.freewebs.com/krg/b5.html

    http://www.1fast400.com/?ingredients_id=29

    --
    Scott Johnson / scottjohnson at kc dot rr dot com