Unexpected Courtesies

jmt

Guest
Apes/Apettes;

Our little hacienda sets a couple hundred feet off a busy, albeit
dilapidated stretch of Illionizzz highway. They decided to fix
it,(after 146 yrs, but who's counting?) Today, in order to get to my
Riding Road of recent choice, I had to go through the construction area.
The Construction workers were v e r y polite, courteous, waved me
right through, and told me to be careful and Watch Out for the Cars. It
may have been wishful thinking on my part, but I think I may have
detected some Disdain in the Workers' tone upon mentioning the Motorists.

Maybe working on a Road Crew all day with their butts exposed
to the imbeciles of the 'Murcan Highway has given them some empathy for
the Cyclist;
jmt

jmt wrote:
> Apes/Apettes;
>
> Our little hacienda sets a couple hundred feet off a busy, albeit
> dilapidated stretch of Illionizzz highway. They decided to fix
> it,(after 146 yrs, but who's counting?) Today, in order to get to my
> Riding Road of recent choice, I had to go through the construction area.
> The Construction workers were v e r y polite, courteous, waved me right
> through, and told me to be careful and Watch Out for the Cars. It may
> have been wishful thinking on my part, but I think I may have detected
> some Disdain in the Workers' tone upon mentioning the Motorists.
>
> Maybe working on a Road Crew all day with their butts exposed
> to the imbeciles of the 'Murcan Highway has given them some empathy for
> the Cyclist;
> jmt

The other day As I trailed some cars past the SLOW sign, the holder
crossed himself and said, "vaya con dios."

--
Bob Wheeler --- http://www.bobwheeler.com/
ECHIP, Inc. ---

jmt <[email protected]> wrote:
> Apes/Apettes;
>
> Our little hacienda sets a couple hundred feet off a busy, albeit
> dilapidated stretch of Illionizzz highway. They decided to fix
> it,(after 146 yrs, but who's counting?) Today, in order to get to my
> Riding Road of recent choice, I had to go through the construction area.
> The Construction workers were v e r y polite, courteous, waved me
> right through, and told me to be careful and Watch Out for the Cars. It
> may have been wishful thinking on my part, but I think I may have
> detected some Disdain in the Workers' tone upon mentioning the Motorists.

Out in Seattle, the road workers have always been very courteous to me
while I'm on my bike.

> Maybe working on a Road Crew all day with their butts exposed
> to the imbeciles of the 'Murcan Highway has given them some empathy for
> the Cyclist;

Probably. From what I understand, the most hazardous job they do is the
initial laying out of cones to close off areas/lanes. People "Just don't
see them". Bah.

--
Dane Buson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
It is well known that *things* from undesirable universes are always seeking

"jmt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Apes/Apettes;
>
> Our little hacienda sets a couple hundred feet off a busy, albeit
> dilapidated stretch of Illionizzz highway. They decided to fix it,(after
> 146 yrs, but who's counting?) Today, in order to get to my Riding Road of
> recent choice, I had to go through the construction area. The Construction
> workers were v e r y polite, courteous, waved me right through, and told
> me to be careful and Watch Out for the Cars. It may have been wishful
> thinking on my part, but I think I may have detected some Disdain in the
> Workers' tone upon mentioning the Motorists.
>
> Maybe working on a Road Crew all day with their butts exposed to
> the imbeciles of the 'Murcan Highway has given them some empathy for the
> Cyclist;

yes, very much so. papers out here in socal do features on the dangers and
frustrations of construction workers--it ranges from threats from
inattentive or agressive drivers to out and out hostility (people shouting
obscenties at the *workers* as if the *workers* are to blame for their
delay).

(sings) "cyclists, hand-in-hand with work zone dudes..."

brink

: Maybe working on a Road Crew all day with their butts exposed
: to the imbeciles of the 'Murcan Highway has given them some empathy for
: the Cyclist;
: jmt

I was riding with a couple of friends one day and we had to stop before we
could turn right because a road crew was putting down asphalt in holes in
the road. One of the guys turned to us and said, "How far ya gone?" and my
friend said, "About 30 miles." the road worker said, "As soon as I get off
work, I'll be right out there with ya!"

So, maybe that's it: maybe they're cyclists too!

Pat in TX