Unexpected failed part on tour

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Doug Huffman, Mar 10, 2003.

  1. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    I am on tour. I left home fifty-ish hours, and sixty miles on the bike, ago. Now it's broke. When I
    spec'ed my bike I did it for reliability and I think that I did a good job.

    Unfortunately I have never heard of a failed freehub/ratcheting mechanism. Mine did at ~20K miles.
    The manufacturer is 'yesterday mailing' parts and tools to rebuild my hub's ratcheting mechanism.

    My riding partners have gone on and we'll try to coordinate re-linking by voice mail. Or I'll meet
    them at our intermediate destination in Northern Florida.

    Tags:

  2. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Unfortunately I have never heard of a failed freehub/ratcheting mechanism. Mine did at ~20K miles.
    > The manufacturer is 'yesterday mailing' parts and tools to rebuild my hub's ratcheting mechanism.

    it happens , although usually they are replaced for other reasons.

  3. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    Yeah. My thought is that most wheels/hubs aren't used long enough to have this part fail. Live
    and learn.

    "rorschandt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > Unfortunately I have never heard of a failed freehub/ratcheting mechanism. Mine did at ~20K
    > > miles. The manufacturer is 'yesterday mailing' parts and tools to rebuild my hub's ratcheting
    > > mechanism.
    > >

    > it happens , although usually they are replaced for other reasons.

  4. Dave Jones

    Dave Jones Guest

    Pisser! I've never had a freewheel failure but I'm not putting the mileage on that you are. When you
    think about it how much is the freewheel freewheeling? Sue and I only freewheel when slowing for a
    turn or coasting to a stop...seconds per ride. So, my question is what really failed? Was it the
    freewheel or the rear axle/bearing that krumped? Still, it would be a pisser while on tour. Did the
    extra weight play a role? Hope you get the needed parts soon and get back to pedaling very soon.
    Lets be careful out there DH. dj

  5. "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Yeah. My thought is that most wheels/hubs aren't used long enough to have this part fail. Live
    > and learn.
    >

    > "rorschandt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    > >
    > > > Unfortunately I have never heard of a failed freehub/ratcheting mechanism. Mine did at ~20K
    > > > miles. The manufacturer is 'yesterday mailing' parts and tools to rebuild my hub's ratcheting
    > > > mechanism.
    > > >

    > > it happens , although usually they are replaced for other reasons.

    Am I reading this correctly...20,000 (twenty thousand) miles on the freehub.... And you are
    complaining about failure...how about its just worn out.....

    sorry though for the unexpected break down

  6. Nigey

    Nigey Guest

    Hey, mine did! mine did!!!

    Yep, it happened on an old mtb I had -it was a Suntour freewheel hub. Just got back from a ride and
    all of a sudden when I pressed down on the pedals it made a horrible grating noise..... not
    propelling me forward I might add. Can't remember how many miles I had on it, but it was probably in
    the region of 10,000. Sounds like you had our money's worth from it anyway.

    cheers

    Nige

  7. John Foltz

    John Foltz Guest

    Doug Huffman wrote:
    > I am on tour. I left home fifty-ish hours, and sixty miles on the bike, ago. Now it's broke. When
    > I spec'ed my bike I did it for reliability and I think that I did a good job.
    >
    > Unfortunately I have never heard of a failed freehub/ratcheting mechanism. Mine did at ~20K miles.
    > The manufacturer is 'yesterday mailing' parts and tools to rebuild my hub's ratcheting mechanism.
    >
    > My riding partners have gone on and we'll try to coordinate re-linking by voice mail. Or I'll meet
    > them at our intermediate destination in Northern Florida.

    I had a freehub fail, too. It skipped and re-engaged a couple of times prior to total failure,
    resulting in several broken teeth on the cogs. It was a Shimano Deore 6-speed, and had *maybe* 800
    miles on it.

  8. Dave Miller

    Dave Miller Guest

    On 10 Mar 2003 18:23:50 -0800, [email protected] (Peter M Spirito) wrote:

    >"Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Yeah. My thought is that most wheels/hubs aren't used long enough to have this part fail. Live
    >> and learn.

    That brings back some great memories of my Schwinn , a paper route 7 miles long, 80 papers in a
    paper bag (i.e a bag for carrying papers - not made of paper) , and 20 below in Indy...wait a
    minute, did I say "great" memories?

  9. David

    David Guest

    John Foltz <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Doug Huffman wrote:
    > > I am on tour. I left home fifty-ish hours, and sixty miles on the bike, ago. Now it's broke.
    > > When I spec'ed my bike I did it for reliability and I think that I did a good job.
    > >
    > > Unfortunately I have never heard of a failed freehub/ratcheting mechanism. Mine did at ~20K
    > > miles. The manufacturer is 'yesterday mailing' parts and tools to rebuild my hub's ratcheting
    > > mechanism.
    > >
    > > My riding partners have gone on and we'll try to coordinate re-linking by voice mail. Or I'll
    > > meet them at our intermediate destination in Northern Florida.
    > >

    > I had a freehub fail, too. It skipped and re-engaged a couple of times prior to total failure,
    > resulting in several broken teeth on the cogs. It was a Shimano Deore 6-speed, and had *maybe* 800
    > miles on it.

    Only ever had one hub fail, that was on a tandem whilst climbing Porlock hill (25%). I did not loose
    drive, I lost freewheel, the block locked solid so we were unable to freewheel without the chain
    wraping the derailer around the sprockets. Made for some interesting decents, namely Countisbury
    hill nr Lynmouth :)

  10. I spray lithium grease (auto parts store)into circular slot (gear side of hub)to lube freehub
    innards, prior to repacking wheel bearings.

    [email protected] (David) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > John Foltz <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Doug Huffman wrote:
    > > > I am on tour. I left home fifty-ish hours, and sixty miles on the bike, ago. Now it's broke.
    > > > When I spec'ed my bike I did it for reliability and I think that I did a good job.
    > > >
    > > > Unfortunately I have never heard of a failed freehub/ratcheting mechanism. Mine did at ~20K
    > > > miles. The manufacturer is 'yesterday mailing' parts and tools to rebuild my hub's ratcheting
    > > > mechanism.
    > > >
    > > > My riding partners have gone on and we'll try to coordinate re-linking by voice mail. Or I'll
    > > > meet them at our intermediate destination in Northern Florida.
    > > >

    > > I had a freehub fail, too. It skipped and re-engaged a couple of times prior to total failure,
    > > resulting in several broken teeth on the cogs. It was a Shimano Deore 6-speed, and had *maybe*
    > > 800 miles on it.
    >
    > Only ever had one hub fail, that was on a tandem whilst climbing Porlock hill (25%). I did not
    > loose drive, I lost freewheel, the block locked solid so we were unable to freewheel without the
    > chain wraping the derailer around the sprockets. Made for some interesting decents, namely
    > Countisbury hill nr Lynmouth :)

  11. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    I got home yesterday PM after 1200 miles/three weeks on the road. I'll write a bit more after I have
    gathered my thoughts.