Unexpectedly big increase in FTP

tk_bike

Feb 18, 2005
Did my 2nd critical power test using my powertap today. According to it my FTP has gone from 267 W to 290 W (4.4-4.8 w/kg).

the 1st test was done at the end of a few weeks off following the end of the racing season and to date i would say i have had 3 good weeks of training but had a cold last week and layed off the bike alot. I have felt much better this week but was a bit surprised by the big increase.

Apart from not trying hard enough for the 1st test can you think of anything that may make either test inaccurate? I was probably slightly fresher for the test today but 23 W seems alot with no real threshold work (2 sessions on the turbo over the previous month). I checked the PT torque was zero'd

Basically do you think it's a realistic new FTP or should I re-test? Is this a realistic increase for a short period of time?

Hope all that made sense!

PS is unexpectedly a word?!

tk_bike said:
Did my 2nd critical power test using my powertap today. According to it my FTP has gone from 267 W to 290 W (4.4-4.8 w/kg).

the 1st test was done at the end of a few weeks off following the end of the racing season and to date i would say i have had 3 good weeks of training but had a cold last week and layed off the bike alot. I have felt much better this week but was a bit surprised by the big increase.

Apart from not trying hard enough for the 1st test can you think of anything that may make either test inaccurate? I was probably slightly fresher for the test today but 23 W seems alot with no real threshold work (2 sessions on the turbo over the previous month). I checked the PT torque was zero'd

Basically do you think it's a realistic new FTP or should I re-test? Is this a realistic increase for a short period of time?

you kind of answer the questions yourself ;)

you did the first test after a few weeks off (detrained) after a long racing season (tired)

For the second test you say you felt fresher and had done a little training.

I would also look at motivation. Sometimes I put out 375w for a 20 minute interval and it feels easy. Another time I will do 340w and it kills me. On most of the times I can sustain 370w I am in a "Man I want to train HARD today!" mood, and on the 340 sessions I am in a "I hate this fu&*%^ trainer!" mood.

Why not do a few FTP tests over a few weeks / months and average the results?

Another question you might want to ask, is was your position on the bike the same during both tests.

-bikeguy

tk_bike said:
What was your test protocol?

Protocl was to hold 320ish W for as long as possible, until cannot maintain the cadence needed, hold 300ish W as long as possible, on the turbo trainer.

Actual results were:

3m41sec ave 322W

10min exactly ave 302W
and yes my position was changed yesterday i had a cycle fitting, it still seems quite a big change though?!

tk_bike said:
Protocl was to hold 320ish W for as long as possible, until cannot maintain the cadence needed, hold 300ish W as long as possible, on the turbo trainer.

Actual results were:

3m41sec ave 322W

10min exactly ave 302W
and yes my position was changed yesterday i had a cycle fitting, it still seems quite a big change though?!
I don't really get your test protocol - why not just ride for 1hr as hard as you can on a trainer, at your favoured cadence and take your average power as FTP? Or take 90% of a 20 minute all out effort?

tk_bike said:

Actual results were:

3m41sec ave 322W

10min exactly ave 302W

And your results the first time?

Would it be safe to assume that you have checked the file to be sure torque was in fact, zero'd?

..and I use "unexpectedly"

tk_bike said:

acoggan said:
And your results the first time?
1st time was 2min58 ave 326 W and 7m15 291 W

and my minimum torque was 0 so I assume that means it was zeroed?

I can't think of anything worse than an hour's TT on the turbo! When the weather is better I will try one on an outdoor track and compare.

tk_bike said:

I think the main message here is this; you have lots of room for improvement, as evidenced by your highly fluctuating CP. Stop worrying about what your CP actually is, and just get in some steady riding, day after day after day. An all-out hour on the turbo has got to be the worst mind-f&^% known to man. Whatever you do, don't do that!

tk_bike said:
1st time was 2min58 ave 326 W and 7m15 291 W

and my minimum torque was 0 so I assume that means it was zeroed?

I can't think of anything worse than an hour's TT on the turbo! When the weather is better I will try one on an outdoor track and compare.
Well you already have replies from some people who know more about power training then I, however...

Anything under 10 minutes of effort will be heavily dominated by your Vo2Max power, and not your FTP.

Unless you get a reading at least 20 min long I would say that you have no reliable information on what your FTP is or how it is progressing.

If these are the first few times you've "tested" power, I would give some up to learning better pacing strategies as well. I found that when I went to power I had two weeks of enormous gains in some of my CP interval ranges as I learned to pace certain ranges in new ways based on power.

I don't think the 2 time periods chosen for each test are close enough to be able to make too much of a comparison between the 60min estimated values - the longer test of the first session seems too short and may sqew the estimation.

tk_bike said:
What you basically tested was your VO2MAX and AWC. Neither test is very useful for FTP because the durations are too short. But, in practical terms it doesn't really matter for training ride purposes because it will be self correcting. If you do your workouts based on FTP=290W, you will quickly find out if it is too high because you won't be able to complete your L4 workouts (e.g., 2x20 @ 100%FTP). BTW, other than the CP model my favorite FTP test is 3x20 @ 100%FTP. If you are overestimating FTP, the 3rd 20min effort will get you. It's also an awesome workout.

tk_bike said:
Yes, it is the adverb form of the adjective unexpected.