unexpectedly early start to season

BullGod

Apr 6, 2006
I just saw my race schedule - Have a club race this sunday and then an Elite/2/3 regional championship the following sunday.

I've just been on a 2 week vacation, and prior to that have only been training L4....no L5/6 or sprinting yet. My weight is fine (69kg), and I estimate current FTP to be about 320w on a good day.

is it feasible to think about turning up with no L5,6,7 under my beslt thus far? with 2 weeks to go what training can I do to get in shape for an 80km fast flat race?

any advice fellas?

Don't beat yourself up over not doing well. It is training, and will tell you where you need to work. Keep on your current plan(don't bother trying to perform at the race by tapering).

Watch out for injuries if you are coming in too fast. Keep your knees warm, lots of embrocation.

BullGod said:
I just saw my race schedule - Have a club race this sunday and then an Elite/2/3 regional championship the following sunday.

I've just been on a 2 week vacation, and prior to that have only been training L4....no L5/6 or sprinting yet. My weight is fine (69kg), and I estimate current FTP to be about 320w on a good day.

is it feasible to think about turning up with no L5,6,7 under my beslt thus far? with 2 weeks to go what training can I do to get in shape for an 80km fast flat race?

any advice fellas?

I'm surprised you're asking us, but.. I'd throw in quite a few 30 second near sprints to simulate attacks in the road race. I'm currently starting to do this as I know road races here consist of easy riding interspersed with sudden attacks and 1-2 minute riding at high speed. I wouldn't ride too hard overall since you've been off the bike a few weeks. That means not too much volume.

-bikeguy