Unfaired recumbent hour record vs. upright

Status
Not open for further replies.
In article <[email protected]>, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

> Oh here's another short book for you... Bents I've seen riding trails in Arizona.

Mark, Have you seen bents on trails while in AZ on vacation? Or are you referring to FL bike trails
located in the area of your frame building business?

I thought you were a hill climbing rider from AZ due to your post but after going to your site I see
you are located in FL. Not too many big climbs out in FL. Does it ever get boring training on a
relatively flat area like FL?

A faired lowracer would be a blast to ride down there. Do you do any big organized rides or races in
the FL area?

Regards AA

Wait a minute Frankie boy.....

You were the 1at one Fastboy passed as I recall!

Didn't you hear the ding from his bell to warn you to move over?

Ed - may you find happiness in your life - Gin

Frank Krygowski wrote:

> Ed Gin & Shirleen Kajiwara wrote:
> >
> > Fastboy just defeated over 170 wedgie riders on faster NON UCI bikes with aero bars, trick
> > wheels and framesets with one significant pull at 36.5 mph for many miles.
>
> Given the social skills that have been displayed, my bet is that the 170 riders just let him off
> the front so he'd go away! I remember doing that with a similar bent rider once.
>
> Thank goodness you guys aren't typical.
>
> --
> Frank Krygowski [email protected]

AA,

No hills, rollers, or climbs, with the exception of driveways at best in his neighborhood.

Mark's basis for hypothesis is pure conjecture with unsubstantiated premises.

I'm sure his comments will develop a growing clientele in his frame building business, considering
99% of bent riders previously or concurrently ride uprights........NOT

Mark needs to re evaluate his business and marketing plan, especially on the net!

Ed - surely will recommend Litespeed and Merlin over a "hot air mouthed" Company like
Habernero - Gin

FasterthanUR wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Oh here's another short book for you... Bents I've seen riding trails in Arizona.
>
> Mark, Have you seen bents on trails while in AZ on vacation? Or are you referring to FL bike
> trails located in the area of your frame building business?
>
> I thought you were a hill climbing rider from AZ due to your post but after going to your site I
> see you are located in FL. Not too many big climbs out in FL. Does it ever get boring training on
> a relatively flat area like FL?
>
> A faired lowracer would be a blast to ride down there. Do you do any big organized rides or races
> in the FL area?
>
> Regards AA

"FastBoy" wrote:
> > Frank, There is a lot of arrogance displayed on my behalf in that thread due to the totally
> > ignorant posts started by my good pal Fab.

... and Ed Gin followed with:
>
> Yeah,
>
> I am in total agreement with Fastboy, some of our best friends are "world record holders" of DF
> events. We frequently ride on the same training circuits and have mutual respect and admiration.
>
> Ed - not a hostile rider, nor have a chip on my shoulder - Gin

FWIW, Fab is a well-established persona in this group. He's a master at what he does. If his posts
actually got you riled, you're completely missing his point. Trading insults with Fab is just silly.

To me, FastBoy comes off as a Fab wannabee - and I'm not talking about riding - but with a nasty
edge and no humor.

Ed Gin's posts have frequently gotten childish and offensive, IMHO. I detect none of the [attempted]
whimsy in the other character's posts. If you're not that way in real life, methinks you need to get
the "Usenet effect" under control.

--
Frank Krygowski [email protected]

Frankie boy,

Fabby blabby's is far from being a master at anything! "Well established" as a troll worthy of the
"kill file" to say the least.

Ed - fabby is dead, - Gin

Frank Krygowski wrote:

> "FastBoy" wrote:
> > > Frank, There is a lot of arrogance displayed on my behalf in that thread due to the totally
> > > ignorant posts started by my good pal Fab.
>
> ... and Ed Gin followed with:
> >
> > Yeah,
> >
> > I am in total agreement with Fastboy, some of our best friends are "world record holders" of DF
> > events. We frequently ride on the same training circuits and have mutual respect and admiration.
> >
> > Ed - not a hostile rider, nor have a chip on my shoulder - Gin
>
> FWIW, Fab is a well-established persona in this group. He's a master at what he does. If his
> posts actually got you riled, you're completely missing his point. Trading insults with Fab is
> just silly.
>
> To me, FastBoy comes off as a Fab wannabee - and I'm not talking about riding - but with a nasty
> edge and no humor.
>
> Ed Gin's posts have frequently gotten childish and offensive, IMHO. I detect none of the
> [attempted] whimsy in the other character's posts. If you're not that way in real life, methinks
> you need to get the "Usenet effect" under control.
>
> --
> Frank Krygowski [email protected]

FasterthanUR <[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Oh here's another short book for you... Bents I've seen riding trails in Arizona.
>
>Mark, Have you seen bents on trails while in AZ on vacation? Or are you referring to FL bike trails
>located in the area of your frame building business?

I'm talking about off-road trails, and no, I've never ever seen a 'bent on one. I've seen many
thousand upright bikes on 'em though (including some road bikes).

>I thought you were a hill climbing rider from AZ due to your post but after going to your site I
>see you are located in FL. Not too many big climbs out in FL. Does it ever get boring training on a
>relatively flat area like FL?

Riding "hills" in Florida was kind of like drinking light beer, which is one of the reasons I moved
to AZ (that and the MTBing is about 50x as good).

>A faired lowracer would be a blast to ride down there. Do you do any big organized rides or races
>in the FL area?

There are some great organized rides. There's one that includes a 100 mile ride up and over
"Mount Dora" which is actually a respectable climb, and has some other hilly terrain leading up
to it as well.

Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

"Ed Gin & Shirleen Kajiwara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> AA,
>
> No hills, rollers, or climbs, with the exception of driveways at best in his neighborhood.
>
> Mark's basis for hypothesis is pure conjecture with unsubstantiated premises.
>
> I'm sure his comments will develop a growing clientele in his frame building business, considering
> 99% of bent riders previously or concurrently ride uprights........NOT
>
> Mark needs to re evaluate his business and marketing plan, especially on the net!
>
> Ed - surely will recommend Litespeed and Merlin over a "hot air mouthed" Company like
> Habernero - Gin

Ed,

There you go shooting your mouth off again. If you would take a little time to ask a question
instead of making assumptions (or even do a little newgroup search on google), you could keep from
looking like such an ass. Follow the link below and you will learn a little something about Mr.
Hickey that you didn't know.

http://www.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=mark+hickey+phoen
ix+group%3Arec.bicycles.misc

And the short version: http://tinyurl.com/9828

I suggest that you owe somebody an apology.

-Buck

Ed Gin & Shirleen Kajiwara <[email protected]> wrote:

>AA,
>
>No hills, rollers, or climbs, with the exception of driveways at best in his neighborhood.

Then those "clouds" on the horizon are awfully stationary.

>Mark's basis for hypothesis is pure conjecture with unsubstantiated premises.
>
>I'm sure his comments will develop a growing clientele in his frame building business, considering
>99% of bent riders previously or concurrently ride uprights........NOT
>
>Mark needs to re evaluate his business and marketing plan, especially on the net!

You misunderstand me. I have NO problem with 'bents (as anyone who's been around here for years will
attest). There have been many times where light-hearted banter has been exchanged, and a mutual
respect developed.

You're not one of those cases though. You really need to develop a sense of humor, though I do find
it funny that someone who writes posts like yours would lecture anyone about their posts.

>Ed - surely will recommend Litespeed and Merlin over a "hot air mouthed" Company like
>Habernero - Gin

Well, c'mon out then. Let's you and me race up National Trail. You can use any 'bent you like. You
can see how much of my claim was "hot air" and how much of that "hot air" you'll be breathing. Heh.

Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

>FasterthanUR wrote:
>
>> In article <[email protected]>, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> > Oh here's another short book for you... Bents I've seen riding trails in Arizona.
>>
>> Mark, Have you seen bents on trails while in AZ on vacation? Or are you referring to FL bike
>> trails located in the area of your frame building business?
>>
>> I thought you were a hill climbing rider from AZ due to your post but after going to your site I
>> see you are located in FL. Not too many big climbs out in FL. Does it ever get boring training on
>> a relatively flat area like FL?
>>
>> A faired lowracer would be a blast to ride down there. Do you do any big organized rides or races
>> in the FL area?
>>
>> Regards AA

--------------A15223E87C7E7FCB1E4CD32E Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii;
x-mac-type="54455854"; x-mac-creator="4D4F5353" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Buck, and this message is Mark too,

When someone attaches TO his signature a manufacturer's site, an association may be construed. And
when he clearly, shows disparaging and disdain for the bent platform, one can assume for possibly a
second, this may be what "Habernero Cycles" believes? I'm sure you've seen the many disclaimers from
the media not associating themselves from reports or programs prior to broadcasting?

Mark OTOH, in additional to his association with "Habernero" then adds a self promoting marketing
phrase to the effect, the place to get the cheapest Ti frame in existence.

Now clearly the net is for exchange of information, and this IS a discussion group, perhaps he
should modifiy his signature because his comments has been a disservice for Habernero cycles. After
all this IS rec.bicycles.misc NOT rec.bicycle.marketplace

And finally, NO Buck, I as well as YOU do not do a Google seach on everyone you correspond with. It
is pointless as the current exchange clearly shows what the poster is intending.

There is NO need for apology rather a re-evaluation of Mark's intentions.

Ed - I'm sure you couldn't give a rat's *** what I do for a living and care where to get the
cheapest Ti bent frame - Gin

Buck wrote:

> "Ed Gin & Shirleen Kajiwara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > AA,
> >
> > No hills, rollers, or climbs, with the exception of driveways at best in his neighborhood.
> >
> > Mark's basis for hypothesis is pure conjecture with unsubstantiated premises.
> >
> > I'm sure his comments will develop a growing clientele in his frame building business,
> > considering 99% of bent riders previously or concurrently ride uprights........NOT
> >
> > Mark needs to re evaluate his business and marketing plan, especially on the net!
> >
> > Ed - surely will recommend Litespeed and Merlin over a "hot air mouthed" Company like
> > Habernero - Gin
>
> Ed,
>
> There you go shooting your mouth off again. If you would take a little time to ask a question
> instead of making assumptions (or even do a little newgroup search on google), you could keep from
> looking like such an ass. Follow the link below and you will learn a little something about Mr.
> Hickey that you didn't know.
>
> http://www.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=mark+hickey+phoen
> ix+group%3Arec.bicycles.misc
>
> And the short version: http://tinyurl.com/9828
>
> I suggest that you owe somebody an apology.
>
> -Buck

--------------A15223E87C7E7FCB1E4CD32E Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"> <html> Buck, and this message
is Mark too,
<p>When someone attaches TO his signature a manufacturer's site, an association <br>may be
construed. And when he clearly, shows disparaging and disdain for <br>the bent
platform, one can assume for possibly a second, this may be what <br>"Habernero
Cycles" believes? I'm sure you've seen the many disclaimers from <br>the media not
associating themselves from reports or programs prior to broadcasting?
<q>Mark OTOH, in additional to his association with "Habernero" then adds a self <br>promoting
marketing phrase to the effect, the place to get the cheapest Ti frame <br>in existence.
<r>Now clearly the net is for exchange of information, and this IS a discussion group, <br>perhaps
he should modifiy his signature because his comments has been a disservice <br>for Habernero
cycles. After all this IS rec.bicycles.misc NOT rec.bicycle.marketplace
<s>And finally, NO Buck, I as well as YOU do not do a Google seach on everyone <br>you
correspond with. It is pointless as the current exchange clearly shows what <br>the poster
is intending.
<t>There is NO need for apology rather a re-evaluation of Mark's intentions.
<u>Ed - I'm sure you couldn't give a rat's *** what I do for a living and care where <br>to get the
cheapest Ti bent frame - Gin <br> <br> <br>
<v>Buck wrote: <blockquote TYPE=CITE>"Ed Gin & Shirleen Kajiwara" <[email protected]>
wrote in message <br><a
href="news:[email protected]">news:[email protected]</a>... <br>> AA,
<br>> <br>> No hills, rollers, or climbs, with the exception of driveways at best in <br>> his
<br>> neighborhood. <br>> <br>> Mark's basis for hypothesis is pure conjecture with
unsubstantiated <br>> premises. <br>> <br>> I'm sure his comments will develop a growing
clientele in his frame <br>> building business, considering 99% of bent riders previously
or <br>> concurrently <br>> ride uprights........NOT <br>> <br>> Mark needs to re evaluate his
business and marketing plan, especially on <br>> the net! <br>> <br>> Ed - surely will
recommend Litespeed and Merlin over a "hot air mouthed" <br>> Company like Habernero - Gin
<w>Ed,
<x>There you go shooting your mouth off again. If you would take a little time <br>to ask a question
instead of making assumptions (or even do a little <br>newgroup search on google), you could keep
from looking like such an ass. <br>Follow the link below and you will learn a little something
about Mr. Hickey <br>that you didn't know.
<y><a href="http://www.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=mark+hickey+phoen">http://ww-
w.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=mark+hickey+phoen</a>
<br>ix+group%3Arec.bicycles.misc
<z>And the short version: <a href="http://tinyurl.com/9828">http://tinyurl.com/9828</a>
<z>I suggest that you owe somebody an apology.
<z>-Buck</blockquote> </html>

--------------A15223E87C7E7FCB1E4CD32E--

Mark,

You really need to change your signature, with all of your "witty" post disparaging bents, readers
may assume this is Habernero's position. And in a breach of netetiquette, your constant reminder of
where to buy a cheapie Ti frame is better suited for rec.bicycles.cheapstuff.

Yeah, I'm sure you like the "National Trail," my invitation is to you AND all your hero's, come on
out and ride the hundreds of miles of Road courses in the upper Illinois and lower Wisconsin area.
We'll ride our "race specific bents" giving your pack, paceline, double led tandem group, or any
other configuration, a 10 minute lead on a marked 50-100 mile course and we'll see what happens?

And we're in for a string of nice day's, see you all later in a week or so....gotta ride my bike!

Ed - couldn't give a rats a** about Habernero's cheapie Ti upwrong frames - Gin

Mark Hickey wrote:

> Ed Gin & Shirleen Kajiwara <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >AA,
> >
> >No hills, rollers, or climbs, with the exception of driveways at best in his neighborhood.
>
> Then those "clouds" on the horizon are awfully stationary.
>
> >Mark's basis for hypothesis is pure conjecture with unsubstantiated premises.
> >
> >I'm sure his comments will develop a growing clientele in his frame building business,
> >considering 99% of bent riders previously or concurrently ride uprights........NOT
> >
> >Mark needs to re evaluate his business and marketing plan, especially on the net!
>
> You misunderstand me. I have NO problem with 'bents (as anyone who's been around here for years
> will attest). There have been many times where light-hearted banter has been exchanged, and a
> mutual respect developed.
>
> You're not one of those cases though. You really need to develop a sense of humor, though I do
> find it funny that someone who writes posts like yours would lecture anyone about their posts.
>
> >Ed - surely will recommend Litespeed and Merlin over a "hot air mouthed" Company like
> >Habernero - Gin
>
> Well, c'mon out then. Let's you and me race up National Trail. You can use any 'bent you like.
> You can see how much of my claim was "hot air" and how much of that "hot air" you'll be
> breathing. Heh.
>
> Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame
>
> >FasterthanUR wrote:
> >
> >> In article <[email protected]>, Mark Hickey <[email protected]>
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >> > Oh here's another short book for you... Bents I've seen riding trails in Arizona.
> >>
> >> Mark, Have you seen bents on trails while in AZ on vacation? Or are you referring to FL bike
> >> trails located in the area of your frame building business?
> >>
> >> I thought you were a hill climbing rider from AZ due to your post but after going to your site
> >> I see you are located in FL. Not too many big climbs out in FL. Does it ever get boring
> >> training on a relatively flat area like FL?
> >>
> >> A faired lowracer would be a blast to ride down there. Do you do any big organized rides or
> >> races in the FL area?
> >>
> >> Regards AA

"FasterthanUR" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:FasterthanUR-
> Buck, BB is a very significant factor for climbing. It is not good to push the seat doing a hard
> long mountain streep grade climb. There is always a trade off. lot of touring bents have low BB
> height which reduces the chance of stressing the knees. Performance speed bents have high BBs to
> create a narrow front rider profile and incerase aero efficiency. With the knees at a high level
> the rider is positioning the knee joint at angle that extends forward more than a DF positiion. it
> is rare that a performance race bent allows for a low BB height. both of the bikes that Ed and i
> ride have low BB's which allow for efficient climbing with reduced knee strain.

I'm still trying to picture the differences in body positions. Let's talk in term of angles between
lines defined by three points, the BB, the rider's hips and the rider's shoulders. I'll call this
the rider angle. On grandma's 3-speed, the rider angle should be almost 180°. For someone in the
drops on an upright, the angle is nearly 90°, possibly lower. Rotating the body around the hips puts
us in the recumbent position. From most of the 'bents I have seen, the rider angle ranges from 120°
on recreational recumbents to nearly 180° on lowracers. By using the rider angle as the measure, I
see no way that raising the BB on a 'bent could move the rider angle anywhere near the setup on
diamond frames.

As I understand it, positions closer to 90° allow for greater force to be applied to the pedals as
well as a better aerodynamic position. The approach is just the opposite on recumbents - the rider
angle is pushed out to 180° to improve aerodynamics but isn't this significantly reducing the
maximum amount of force that can be applied to the pedals? You suggest that raising the BB is to
improve aerodynamics, but might the perceived increases in performance be due to lowering the rider
angle, thus improving the amount of force being applied to the pedals?

Measuring another angle might be useful. The angle between the BB, the hip and true horizontal,
which I suggest we call the BB elevation, may play a role here. I have suggested before that there
might be physiological reasons that factor into climbing on a 'bent because of rider position. On a
'bent with a higher BB on level ground, the BB elevation angle will be somewhere around 25°. When
the road goes up, the BB elevation goes up significantly. Perhaps there is a maximum BB elevation
beyond which our bodies just don't like to perform? Taken to the extreme, remember the old "bicycle"
exercise? Lie on the floor, elevate your feet and support your lower back with your hands, then
"pedal" the air like riding a bicycle. I always hated that one. The blood just rushes to your head.
Perhaps by lowering the BB on the bicycle, you are keeping the BB elevation angle below that
threshold when climbing, thus making climbing a more comfortable affair.

As I sit here and think about this, I keep coming back to the idea of rider position. Perhaps the
position of the rider relative to the earth is more significant than we realize. As a species, we
were meant to be upright when active, prone when resting. How does that factor into the performance
of 'bents, especially when climbing?

> But in the real
> > world, bicycle weight is a non-issue.
>
> I used to preach the same thing to a fellow racer till I rode in a severe hill race in WI in his
> area. Pushing a nearly 40 lb bike up steep long grades in a race was not good. Now that I've
> reduced t"he total bike weight by nearly half I know that in my current "real world of riding the
> weight reduction is a huge factor in climbing efficiency. that's just my opinion but there is
> vsome validity to that as some of the serious pro DF racers are riding sub 15 lb bikes instead of
> 20+ lb frames. the weight weinnies site even has a race bike listed that is 10 lbs.

I guess this goes back to the idea of all riders being equal. How many roadies do we see racing
professionally that weigh over 200lbs? When all of your competitors weigh 150 lbs, a five pound
difference in bike weight (3% of the total bike plus rider package) can be significant when riding
in the hills. For the rest of us, a ten pound difference (4.5% difference with a 180lb rider and
40lb bike) isn't going to mean much. I think I've sweated off nearly that much on some of my
longer rides!

> > Or is it more a function of the tendency to mash bigger gears because there is a support to push
> > against?
>
> I can't answer that one Buck. I only use gears I can spin. I know from my expoerience of racing
> some guys in the mountains in AZ on PACtour and then doing a severe hill race in WI that pushing
> big gears on a heavy bike is not effective and will ultimatley lead to an overuse injury. again
> this is partially due to the overall weight of the entire bike.
> >

I spin up hills also. I injured my knees while running and mashing big gears makes the pain come
back. Any other 'bent riders have a handle on how most 'bent riders climb?

> I can jump obstacles.

Really? How? I'll admit to limited experience, but I found that I could get the front wheel high
enough to clear the curb on a few 'bents although I was at a total loss on how to get the rear wheel
off the ground.

> Buck I just use the lowracer to train for racing. If I were to do a social ride with kids or
> family members I'd be using a MTB bike as there is more versatility for going over curbs and rail
> trails compared to my racing bent. There are some bents out there that have suspension and can
> ride up curbs and on gravel roads but they are very heavy weight bikes.

Ah.

> Is this just an overall average, or are you comparing heart rates when you
> > were climbing on the two different platforms? I would expect heartrate
to be
> > lower for a given speed on the flats, but what happens when the road
goes
> > up?
>
> Buck, when I train to race my HR is always higher than a longer distance or social ride. I'll push
> the hills aggressivley and will redline at times. It's similar to what I was doing when I raced
> DF's. Its just a different bike at this point in time.

For a given heart rate and angle of elevation, how do the speeds compare? When you are climbing a 6%
grade on your 'bent, do you have to put out a greater effort than on a DF?

> > More about the BB height! Maybe you can share your knowledge about the effects of BB height.
> > Have you ridden a machine that allows you to
adjust
> > the BB height as well as the length? Does such a bike exist?
>
> I do not know of any bents that allow for adjustable BB height. Makes it difficlut to find the
> right bent for your needs. One of the reasons I went through 7 bents prior. I was always looking
> for the most effficient, best handling, proper BB height bike for my need to race. I would not use
> my bike to commute as some of the roads where I live have no shoulder. I train durring the day
> when my schedlule permits and traffic is at low volume. However the guy that built the bike uses
> it to commute all over Europe as he owns no car.
>
> Unlike me, Ed rides his bike daily with no less than 60 mi per ride and most rides usually being
> 100 mi per day 7 days per week. He rides on all types of roads even in downtown Chicago traffic.
> Its all a matter of what the rider wants out of it all. I just prefer to ride for speed and not to
> use a bike for commuting. I've got my training routes and enjoy occassionally traveling to a race
> that will allow bents to participate.

Yeah, at this point we are running into the different uses issue. That's why I suggested in another
post that I would need two 'bents much like I have several DFs. If I want to go really fast, I pull
out the road bike. For most commuting and pleasure rides, I use a mountain bike. For off-road, I use
a full-suspension mountain bike. Once I had only one bike and two sets of wheels. One for commuting,
one for off-road. Now I am spoiled! :)

<snip>

> I might not be the best source for commuter style riding. If you go to this site:
> http://www.bentrideronline.com/ you will learn a lot form other riders who are not into speed like
> I am. As I've said earlier, the stuff I'm interested in is a rather small niche and I'm enjoying
> it at this point in time but its not for everyone out there.

Thanks for the reference, I'll look into it a bit more.

-Buck

Ed Gin & Shirleen Kajiwara wrote:

> Mark,
>
> You really need to change your signature, with all of your "witty" post disparaging bents, readers
> may assume this is Habernero's position. And in a breach of netetiquette, your constant reminder
> of where to buy a cheapie Ti frame is better suited for rec.bicycles.cheapstuff.

With all due respect, a lecture on netiquette coming from you seems somewhat hypocritical, with
your flying off the handle at the slightest provocation, and your top-posted untrimmed posts. You
seem to perceive an actual animosity towards recumbent riders which in most cases does not exist in
this forum.

I, for one, would love to try out a recumbent sometime . . . but not because of angry posts
like yours.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent. -- Walt Kelly

In article <[email protected]>,
"Buck" <j u n k m a i l @ g a l a x y c o r p . c o m> wrote:

> I guess this goes back to the idea of all riders being equal. How many roadies do we see racing
> professionally that weigh over 200lbs? When all of your competitors weigh 150 lbs, a five pound
> difference in bike weight (3% of the total bike plus rider package) can be significant when riding
> in the hills. For the rest of us, a ten pound difference (4.5% difference with a 180lb rider and
> 40lb bike) isn't going to mean much. I think I've sweated off nearly that much on some of my
> longer rides!

Buck, If weight is not a factor then why are DF builders making 2.3 oz frames with carbon and
titanium components?

A sub 20 lb. racing bent is going to be more efficient for climbing in a race or fast training rides
than 35+ lb heavier bent. The lighter the bike the faster one will climb.

AA

Buck wrote:
>
> ... I spin up hills also. I injured my knees while running and mashing big gears makes the pain
> come back. Any other 'bent riders have a handle on how most 'bent riders climb?...

I prefer to climb at a cadence of around 110 rpm - this is possible on many hills (most hills if I
were in decent condition) on my Sunset Lowracer since my gear range is 19-120 gear inches.

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

AA <[email protected]> wrote in message news:

> [email protected] (Bluto) wrote:
>
> > One of my buddies in Austin bought a Dutch supine bike (a Challenge Hurricane
>
> A Challenge Hurricane is a recumbent touring bike and not a lowracer.

At the time, it was the lowest, most supine bike I'd ever seen, and the first I'd seen with a
tail-only fairing. It's still way lower and more horizontal than most 'bents.

Anyway, I don't understand your point. My friend's implication was that the Hurricane was
difficult to ride to the extent of being unrideable by a beginner. Do you suggest that lowracers
of even more extreme riding position are _easier_ to handle? Because this would be the first time
I've heard that.

Chalo Colina

"AA" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

<snip>

> Buck, If weight is not a factor then why are DF builders making 2.3 oz frames with carbon and
> titanium components?

Go back and re-read my original reply. The weight difference can be significant when you are
discussing the uppermost eschelon of riders. But for us real-world folks, a pound or two here or
there isn't going to be that big of a deal. I can shed a lot more weight from my body than I ever
will from my bike and it won't cost me nearly as much to do it.

> A sub 20 lb. racing bent is going to be more efficient for climbing in a race or fast training
> rides than 35+ lb heavier bent. The lighter the bike the faster one will climb.

But remember that we are talking about more here than sheer speed. We are talking about useability,
cost, rider position, aerodynamics, etc. I'm sure your 'bent cost quite a bit more than the average.
It also isn't the most useable platform (unless you convert that tailbox into a big trunk). You have
made sacrifices to gain the ultimate in high-speed performance. How much did that cost you in $ per
mph gain, or $ per lb?

Will the average rider notice a 5 lb difference in their bike? I doubt it. I hardly notice a five
pound difference in the backpack I use for commuting. When it gets down to ounces of difference, the
only people who will notice are those using a scale to measure. The only people who really want
those bikes are professional riders and those who want bragging rights. As for the rest of us, it
gets silly-expensive for an imperceptible difference.

-Buck

Bluto wrote:
> ... Anyway, I don't understand your point. My friend's implication was that the Hurricane was
> difficult to ride to the extent of being unrideable by a beginner....

Actually the same may be said of upright bikes. Find an adult who has never ridden a bicycle and put
him or her on a standard road bike and see how well he/she does at first.

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

Status
Not open for further replies.