Unfaired recumbent hour record vs. upright

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Jim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Let's examine Ed Gin's assertion (polite word for prevaricaton). a legend in his own mind and
> Peter Pan of the recumbent set ... "HEAD" Gin! -
>

Well I'm willing to believe him, I would hate to think that some posters in here aren't being up
front, otherwise the whole thing with posting in here would be all for naught.

Saying that, I have on occasion been a bit suspect about some of the things Jon Isaacs has said in
here, no one can be really that lame, can they?

Those whom doubt....

Thank you so much for doing the math. You bet I did over 21,000 miles this last season. I saw no
reason to post this on the website as it is not all that much mileage in comparison to my many years
racing when younger.

Ed - enjoying cycling more than ever - Gin

Jim McNamara wrote:

> Ed Gin & Shirleen Kajiwara <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > Yes Bluto,
> >
> > You couldn't have stated it better, "limited experience" is the key. And have you considered
> > your friend didn't want you to find out how fast lowracers really are?
> >
> > Utility is a non issue as track bikes by definition has a specific arena, where as the "race
> > specific lowracers" are ridden thousands of miles on roads throughout the world.
> >
> > Ed - going on 60,000 miles in 4 years on my Festina lowracer - Gin
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Let's examine Ed Gin's assertion (polite word for prevaricaton). The following figures are derived
> directly from Ed's website where he lists his annual mileage as follows: 12,268 miles in 1999,
> 11,014 in 2000, and 14,857 in 2001. Whereas these are impressive figures, they pale in comparison
> to Ed's stellar performance 2002 season. Follow along as I do the math. 12,268 + 11,014 + 14,857 =
> 38,139 miles. Ed claims to have ridden 60,00 miles in 4 years. That means Ed rode an astounding
> 21,861 miles in 2002 (60,000 - 38,139 = 21,861). Allow me to extend my congratulations to Ed for
> single handedly undermining his own credability. This begs a question though. Just what can we
> expect Ed Gin do for an encore in 2003? I've think I've got it ... fabricate a new all-time best
> 25,000 mile season! Stay tuned for more of the same bullhsit from the man who does it best, a
> legend in his own mind and Peter Pan of the recumbent set ... "HEAD" Gin! - Jim McNamara
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> > Bluto wrote:
> >
> > > Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >
> > > > These "Superman" uprights appear to be significantly more limited in utility than the
> > > > highest performance recumbent lowracers such as the Razz-Fazz, M5 Carbon Lowracer, and Birk
> > > > Comet.
> > >
> > > That's a tall order. I'm certainly not one to claim that track funnybikes of any kind are
> > > practical or easy rides, but my limited experience with lowracers suggests they may be no
> > > better.
> > >
> > > One of my buddies in Austin bought a Dutch supine bike (a Challenge Hurricane), and had been
> > > riding it for a few weeks when one day he came by my house. One of my housemates was
> > > predictably freaking out over the bike and asked, "can I ride it?" My friend said, "No--
> > >
> > > "--and it's not because I won't let you, either!"
> > >
> > > Chalo Colina

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Jim
McNamara) wrote:

> Stay tuned for more of the same bullhsit from the man who does it best, a legend in his own mind
> and Peter Pan of the recumbent set ... "HEAD" Gin! - Jim McNamara

You got it all wrong Jimmy, You are the one who is full of nothing but BS with all your self
righteous, self serving, boring dribble you post on the HPV list. At least Ed takes an active part
in the local HPV community, he has helped a lot of people get started with recumbents, he has
organized rides and social events, he has been involved with the HPV racing circuit and also has a
web site with a lot of documented information about fairings, projects and data regarding many
recumbent models.

You on the other hand have done nothing of benefit for the bent community.

Jimmy you are just a bag of hot air on the HPV list who spends more time at the keyboard than riding
his bike. Save your big stories about all the world class cyclist you ride with on the North Branch
trail for Ripley's Believe It or Not. Looks like you are the one full of BS Jimmy.

Fastrider

Fastrider,

Jimmy's favorite pastime is boasting to fellow cyclists "how expensive AND light" his bikes are.
Many of my fellow riders have always asked me why he brags about his bikes so often and mentions
whom he USED to ride with. Their perception is he is one ego centered braggart and right they are.

Recently others have mentioned to me, "every time I see Jimmy on the North Branch Trail, he isn't
riding, just jabbing away," as is the case the last 3 times I've seen him. No need to guess what he
is boasting about now, is there? ;-)

I OTOH along with a couple of his "past" friends all wish him well with his retirement and may he
"find peace with himself." :)

Fair warning though, if you EVER see a black P-38 sitting on the side of the Chicago North Branch
trail with a older gray haired fellow looking for companionship, think twice about stopping!

But if you do, tell him Ed sent you.... :)

Ed - http://www.2ni2.com/emoticon/grupos/ola.gif - Gin

fastrider wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Jim
> McNamara) wrote:
>
> > Stay tuned for more of the same bullhsit from the man who does it best, a legend in his own mind
> > and Peter Pan of the recumbent set ... "HEAD" Gin! - Jim McNamara
>
> You got it all wrong Jimmy, You are the one who is full of nothing but BS with all your self
> righteous, self serving, boring dribble you post on the HPV list. At least Ed takes an active part
> in the local HPV community, he has helped a lot of people get started with recumbents, he has
> organized rides and social events, he has been involved with the HPV racing circuit and also has a
> web site with a lot of documented information about fairings, projects and data regarding many
> recumbent models.
>
> You on the other hand have done nothing of benefit for the bent community.
>
> Jimmy you are just a bag of hot air on the HPV list who spends more time at the keyboard than
> riding his bike. Save your big stories about all the world class cyclist you ride with on the
> North Branch trail for Ripley's Believe It or Not. Looks like you are the one full of BS Jimmy.
>
> Fastrider

Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:

> Bluto wrote:
> > Choppers, like 'bents, do fine on open pavement that isn't too steep or rough. But you won't see
> > choppers or 'bents undertaking observed trials, bike polo, stunt riding or any other activity
> > that requires precise, affirmative maneuvering.
>
> And how much time do most cyclists spend on the above activities?

Funny to hear this question coming from a 'bent rider!

Chalo Colina

Jay <[email protected]> wrote:

: The superman bike is for track racing only. It is a rare bike and barely worth discussion as an
: abstraction form the main array of recumbents.

Can you put a tailfairing on the superman bike? You can on a lowracer...

Maybe you should compare the superman bike to a dedicated track recumbent?

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/ varis at no spam please iki fi

fastrider wrote:
>
> You got it all wrong Jimmy, You are the one who is full of nothing but BS with all your self
> righteous, self serving, boring dribble you post on the HPV list. At least Ed takes an active part
> in the local HPV community, he has helped a lot of people get started with recumbents, he has
> organized rides and social events, he has been involved with the HPV racing circuit and also has a
> web site with a lot of documented information about fairings, projects and data regarding many
> recumbent models....

Ed is a recumbent pusher who goes around getting people addicted to riding lowracers. ;)

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

Bluto <[email protected]> wrote:

: It's not like a 'bent uses different principles to stay up or turn corners than a regular bike.

Hmm I think it does. You have to sit straight or something ;p Maybe it's like with skis vs
snowboard. Having done some cross-country skiing was no help when learning to snowboard. Different
principle of balance.

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/ varis at no spam please iki fi

: If one rides recumbents exclusively for a couple of years, upright bikes start to feel odd - the
: amount of control force needed and the amount the rider has to move his/her body around is
: disturbing.

Dunno, my upright felt scary after a few days of bent riding... so high sitting position, not ground
hugging like on Vision R-40... Fortunately I can readjust in just a few hours.

: In my opinion, a lot of lowracers handle better than a BikeE does. The BikeE has a heavy rear
: weight distribution and lacks tiller in the steering.

Well lowracers are made for sports... I guess you can see the same in cars? :-/

: Upright bikes have poor handling for those who have not ridden them before. The same is true of
: recumbents. Recumbent handling is only "difficult" because most people learned upright riding
: skills as children and recumbent riding skills as adults.

Sounds quite plausible that one picks up some motor skills over the decades.

Should someone mention that it takes only about 10 s of learning to ride a bent trike? Those
two-wheelers *are* squirrely! ;p

--

Buck <j u n k m a i l @ g a l a x y c o r p . c o m> wrote:
: machine. Again, there is nothing wrong with that. I wouldn't get my hackles up if people told me
: that my road bike was not as versatile as a mountain bike. They're right! I can't take it off-road
: comfortably. I can't mount a set of racks on it. I can't mount a set of large tires on it to make
: it more comfortable. It is a purpose-built machine. It was made to go fast over smooth roads, much
: like your carbon fiber recumbent.

It is my understanding that you can have a rack on some low racers, as well as mount larger tires
(clincher rims after all). The Optima Baron comes into mind particularly. Anecdotal evidence has it
that some people use it for touring and commuting.

There are some upright race bikes that can take rear and front panniers. I am saying that there are
compromises to feed many tastes in both upright and bent categories.

: at home, and on supported weekend tours. My most versatile bike is a mountain bike that has a rack
: for hauling stuff, a hitch for the trailer, fenders for staying dry, two sets of wheels for road
: or dirt, a beat-up paint job for undesirability, and an easy way to lock it up.

: There is no difference in the rideability of any of these bikes, mine or yours. However, there is
: a huge difference in versatility between all of them. That is part of what we are discussing
: around here. So don't get all

Bents add more variety. Trikes and fairings can be practical and versatile in unexpected ways.

: This is a question about the theories behind recumbent design. Which is more important to unfaired
: recumbents, maximum power from the rider or aerodynamics? If it were maximum power, then perhaps
: the position needs to be readjusted so the rider angle is closer to 90°. Are the aerodynamics that
: much better in the prone position as we see on some of the extreme lowracers? If power goes down
: as the rider angle approaches 180°, then what do you think might be the best compromise between
: the rider angle and aerodynamics? Finally, do you believe that the body position relative to earth
: has anything to do with it?

If you are really interested, you should go to the bent forums. Issues like this are discussed over
and over on the IHPVA mailing lists - http://www.ihpva.org/

--

AA <[email protected]> wrote:

: I do not understand why cost is an issue with you. After all this is a fun hobby and if I prefer
: to spend my money on something I like doing I see it as no problem.

Sure. If you didn't have the money you would see a problem. If you have $5000 extra, you can spend
it on a time trial/triathlon bike or a carbon lowracer with fairings. If you have only $1000, you
can spend it on a decent road bike...

Sure bents are expensive, because frame design and manufacturing is almost-custom-made carage type
business. However, it is my understanding that aerodynamic aids like wheel disks get very expensive
on time trial bikes, as well as topline components in general... Maybe carbon is cheaper - after all
it's just a material and nowadays the working methods are fairly well known.

--

: understand why he rides the types of bikes he does, there are a few more practical lowracers that
: are still very fast such as the Challenge Taifun, Optima Stinger, and regrettably out of
: production Earth Cycles

... which some people would prefer to call semi-lowracers, while still insisting on calling bikes
like Optima Baron (same seat height as Taifun for the normal frame) lowracers.

--

[email protected] wrote:
>
> Jay <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> : The superman bike is for track racing only. It is a rare bike and barely worth discussion as an
> : abstraction form the main array of recumbents.
>
> Can you put a tailfairing on the superman bike? You can on a lowracer....

Here is a picture of the great cyclist Oscar Egg [1] on an upright with a tailcone. <
http://www.velorizontal.com/images/mochet/oeufdeberthet.jpg >

Oscar Egg on a recumbent with a very interesting drivetrain. <
http://www.velorizontal.com/images/mochet/info-potomochet/oscaregg/oscaregg.jpg
>

[1] Whose bicycle racing achievements outstrip even those of Fabrizio Mazzoleni. ;)

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

[email protected] wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> AA <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> : I do not understand why cost is an issue with you. After all this is a fun hobby and if I prefer
> : to spend my money on something I like doing I see it as no problem.
>
> Sure. If you didn't have the money you would see a problem. If you have $5000 extra, you can spend
> it on a time trial/triathlon bike or a carbon lowracer with fairings. If you have only $1000, you
> can spend it on a decent road bike...

And if you have less than US$ 1,000, you're in a bit of a pinch.

In a cost/utility calculation, the recumbent loses, fast. My US$450 bought me a useable bicycle that
was comfortable and could get me around town and a little beyond. Double that might have gotten me a
good recumbent--but then there's parking it, etc.

and for people with still less to spend, there simply is no recumbent to be found. When Flying
Pigeon goes 'bent, then that will cease to be a factor.

-Luigi

Yes Tom,

And you do ride your Sunset lowracer rather well, especially on the Easter ride invitational!

Ed - just ask Tom Smith? :) - Gin

Tom Sherman wrote:

> fastrider wrote:
> >
> > You got it all wrong Jimmy, You are the one who is full of nothing but BS with all your self
> > righteous, self serving, boring dribble you post on the HPV list. At least Ed takes an active
> > part in the local HPV community, he has helped a lot of people get started with recumbents, he
> > has organized rides and social events, he has been involved with the HPV racing circuit and also
> > has a web site with a lot of documented information about fairings, projects and data regarding
> > many recumbent models....
>
> Ed is a recumbent pusher who goes around getting people addicted to riding lowracers. ;)
>
> Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

In article <[email protected]>, "Fabrizio Mazzoleni"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I would hate to think that some posters in here aren't being up front

Fabs posts are really funny. Up front in a comedic way and better than most standup routines in the
comedy clubs.

Keep us laughing Fab. You can do the comedy club circuit wearing that fancyboy kit. That alone will
get the gals in the audience laughing at you.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha Fabio

Fastrider

Hi Fastboy, Fastrider, FasterthanUR,

... or whatever moniker you happen to choose to conveniently hide behind ... at least I have the
testicular fortitude not to obscure my identity. Isn't it about time to muster up the courage to
crawl out of the woodwork and identify yourself to your adoring public? What are you afraid of? For
a Fastboy, you're not to swift are you? You someone entirely misconstrued what was being called into
question, but I'll address what you had to say, anyways. I happen to be far more fair that either
you or Ed when making an assessment. I don't stretch the truth or out an outright lie. I'm more than
willing to give credit where credit is due and I agree with you that that Ed has done much to
benefit the HPV community. It is what he happens to like to
do. I have done lots to benefit the community in which I live. It is one of the things that I like
to do. Call it personal preference. We are all entitled to use our available time as we see
fit. How we chose to devote our time is a personal decision, and, as such, is a preference that
is not subject to debate. I realize that you and Ed have this passionate mutual admiration
society thing going, but I don't understand your compulsion to defend him. He's a big boy and
he doesn't need a stand-in who prefers to enter into combat arena incognito. Since you employ
the initials "AA", I have a pretty good idea who you are. As concerns Ed, I happen to have
about as high an opinion of him as you do of me. I have good reason to dislike Ed, although I'm
puzzled why you have such disdain for me. Perhaps Ed's got you brainwashed. Regardless, I have
no particular bone to pick with, but I will defend myself. I take issue with your assessment
that all my HPV posts as "dribble", but you are entitled to your opinion. I have had many an
HPV responder, compliment me on many of my posts, aside from those that were devoted to brief
skirmishes Ed and I participated in for which we both took some heat. As far as riding with
world class cyclists go, yeah I've done that, but Ed has too, and I presume you have as well.
I'm not sure why you're making such a big deal about this. Riding with this class of cyclist
(not just on the North Brach trail by the way) allows one to testing his or her metal and one
can profit by the challenge and can learn a few things in the process. As concerns my keyboard
versus bike time, judging from you many posts, you put in a bit of keyboard time yourself, so
what basis do you have for your accusations? You have no way of knowing how much time I spend
at a keyboard or on a bike, for that matter. Although I don't put in Ed's mega-miles, I have
ridden 5,000, 6000, and 7,000 mile seasons and rode 5,000 miles this past year. Understand that
although cycling is an essential part of my life, I have not allowed for it to take over my
life. I have other things that demand my attention and I have consciously chosen not to devote
every available moment that I have to clocking miles. That's my personal choice and, as such,
it is not open to debate. A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do ... it's that simple. Now I'll
take a shot at addressing Ed's fictitious babble.

Jim McNamara

fastrider <[email protected]> wrote in message
> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Jim
> McNamara) wrote:
>
> > Stay tuned for more of the same bullhsit from the man who does it best, a legend in his own mind
> > and Peter Pan of the recumbent set ... "HEAD" Gin! - Jim McNamara
>
> recumbent models.
>
> You on the other hand have done nothing of benefit for the bent community.
>
> Jimmy you are just a bag of hot air on the HPV list who spends more time at the keyboard than
> riding his bike. Save your big stories about all the world class cyclist you ride with on the
> North Branch trail for Ripley's Believe It or Not. Looks like you are the one full of BS Jimmy.
>
> Fastrider

Ed,

Allow me to preface my remarks by stating that your constant distortion of the truth renders much of
what you have to say as suspect. Your rhetoric is ripe with equivocation. Let me help you with that
one, Ed. Equivocation is falsification by employing language that is intentionally vague or
ambiguous. You have mastered of equivocation to eether mislead or avoid an unpleasant truth. You
have managed to deceive some people. I just happen not to be one of them. With that said, I'll
address the twisted notions that you attempted to pass off as dogma, accorigin to Ed. OK, I'll help
you with that one too. Dogma is a doctrine accepted as authoritative without any requirement of
proof. This is precisely what you demand from everyone whenever you open you big mouth isn't it? As
concerns my favorite pastime, I'll admit that when I first built up my bikes I was understandably
enthused about, I was proud of what I had accomplished and yes, I did initially talk quite a bit
about them, and yes ... their weight and their cost, but also their components, wheel building,
etc., but this was more often than not in direct response to an inquiry. What's the crime in that? I
recall you doing much the same and never thought poorly of you for doing so. Even your website had
topics devoted to your bikes. As far as "USED" to ride with, my main "USED" to ride with "world
class" training partner stopped riding for a while after he retired from the pro ranks and then he
moved, a fact that you know and conveniently (read deliberately) omitted. Deceit ... you do love it
so don't you? Have you no sense of fair play? Now, lets not even get into ego or bragging, shall we.
I'll concede immediately knowing full well that I cannot begin to compete with you in that
particular arena. When it comes to ego and bragging, nobody does is better Ed Gin. As concerns our
North Branch trail encounters, I do my best to ignore you, but I recall having seen you 4 times.
Only once was I stopped having a conversation with two cyclists at my day's designated turnaround
point. You also stopped to engage these same two cyclists in conversation and immediately went on
and one about your previous days cycling exploits. I rest my case. As concern "past" friends, you
needn't fabricate rhetoric for them. No one I know talks remotely like that except you. As concerns
the number of past friends, in the past five years, I have parted company with two people, one being
you and the other is someone we have in common and he recently called me and expressed his desire to
ride with me again. By the way, he had some unpleasant things to say about you, as did another
riding companion that linked up with yesterday. You like to throw out numbers. I'd suggest that if
we were to count who has lost more friends in the past five years, you know very well how the
numbers would play out, so why do you persist in publicly setting yourself up for embarrassment
yourself? As concerns my prior post that precipitated all of this banter, if I am mistaken, unlike
yourself and your buddy above, I would be man enough to step forward, say that I'm wrong and offer
my apology. Let's face facts though; insecure as you are, you don't pass up a single opportunity to
seize center stage in order to bask in the limelight. By your own admission, you are a publicity
hound. If your claimed of 21,861 miles is accurate, it would be extremely uncharacteristic of you to
pass up the chance to conduct your annual mileage survey in order to inscribe your feat on your
website. You know it, and all of cyberspace knows
it ... self-promotion is your specialty and no one is more accomplished at tooting his own horn than
you are. With feigned humility, you asserted, "I saw no reason to post this on the website as it
is not all that much mileage in comparison to my many years racing when younger." If I am to
take you at your word, then I also have to call into question the reason why you were compelled
to post your three previous year's mileage figures (12,268, 11,014 and 14,857). Is it just me or
is this a mixed message that flies in the face of your "logic"? As concerns the picture you
portrayed of me ... in fact, you are a year my senior ... I'm not lonely in search of
companionship ... my hair has yet to turn gray. Have you no integrity, at all? I forgot ...
liars don't have integrity!

P.S. By the way, when are you going to learn the difference between "who" and "whom"? I suppose
when you are able discern the difference between "limescreen shavings" and "limestone
screenings" and "prowlness" and "prowess". Less time on the bike and more time hittin' the
books might benefit one who is so feverishly engaged in self-promotion.

Jim McNamara

Ed Gin & Shirleen Kajiwara <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Fastrider,
>
> Jimmy's favorite pastime is boasting to fellow cyclists "how expensive AND light" his bikes are.
> Many of my fellow riders have always asked me why he brags about his bikes so often and mentions
> whom he USED to ride with. Their perception is he is one ego centered braggart and right they are.
>
> Recently others have mentioned to me, "every time I see Jimmy on the North Branch Trail, he isn't
> riding, just jabbing away," as is the case the last 3 times I've seen him. No need to guess what
> he is boasting about now, is there? ;-)
>
> I OTOH along with a couple of his "past" friends all wish him well with his retirement and may he
> "find peace with himself." :)
>
> Fair warning though, if you EVER see a black P-38 sitting on the side of the Chicago North Branch
> trail with a older gray haired fellow looking for companionship, think twice about stopping!
>
> But if you do, tell him Ed sent you.... :)
>
> Ed - http://www.2ni2.com/emoticon/grupos/ola.gif - Gin
>
>
>
> fastrider wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Jim
> > McNamara) wrote:
> >
> > > Stay tuned for more of the same bullhsit from the man who does it best, a legend in his own
> > > mind and Peter Pan of the recumbent set ... "HEAD" Gin! - Jim McNamara
> >
> > You got it all wrong Jimmy, You are the one who is full of nothing but BS with all your self
> > righteous, self serving, boring dribble you post on the HPV list. At least Ed takes an active
> > part in the local HPV community, he has helped a lot of people get started with recumbents, he
> > has organized rides and social events, he has been involved with the HPV racing circuit and also
> > has a web site with a lot of documented information about fairings, projects and data regarding
> > many recumbent models.
> >
> > You on the other hand have done nothing of benefit for the bent community.
> >
> > Jimmy you are just a bag of hot air on the HPV list who spends more time at the keyboard than
> > riding his bike. Save your big stories about all the world class cyclist you ride with on the
> > North Branch trail for Ripley's Believe It or Not. Looks like you are the one full of BS Jimmy.
> >
> > Fastrider

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Jim
McNamara) wrote:

I take issue with your assessment
> that all my HPV posts as "dribble"

Same self righteous, long winded dribble that has been going on on that HPV list for years
form Jimmy.

My favorite HPV post of yours was the one about the MTB rider who you chased on the pedestrian bike
trail for saying something to you. You risked the safety, health and well being of children and
elderly folks on the pedestrian bike trail with your high speed antics all cause you had to go after
a MTB rider who said something to you. Guess you had to spare your fragile ego Jimmy.

Roads are for high speed rides Jimmy not pedestrian bike trails. So I suggest you stay on the road
when you need to chase someone in the future.

Perhaps you can get together with your elite buddy Fab for a ride. You two belong together.

Fastrider

OK,

Time to set the facts straight.....

Several years ago, it was I whom wrote to you terminating our friendship via email. And I emphasized
I would welcome a face to face meeting or even a phone call to discuss our differences. You emailed
back specifying those two options were not acceptable as you can write better????

Perhaps you were afraid to engage in a two way exchange face to face?

BTW, for the ensuing YEARS you were obsessed with continuing with sending me your string of emails
crying about my posts on the net. Why you even put letters in zip lock bags on my windshield in
addition to sending me Xmas cards with no return addresses hoping I'd read your dribble. Just to let
you know, many riders saw that silly note you left on my windshield which was destroyed as soon as I
read the first few words. The consensual opinion of the riders was you were and are a nut.
Unfortunately I had to field their many inquiries why you are the way you appear. The final
conclusion is always the same, we all hoped you well in your retirement years.

Integrity is an issue you shouldn't even bring up. There are things you have done which is
"criminal" and could be prosecuted in a court of law. And you were stupid enough to brag about
them to many of your neighbors and friends. Remember I said SOMEDAY what you say may come back to
haunt you?

Are you ready to divulge to the public what you have done to destroy someone's means of income and
livelihood? Or perhaps should I?

Yeah Jimmy, you are one fine person of upstanding stature in your neighborhood....NOT I'm waiting
for you to divulge your "reasoning" for "criminal behavior!"

BTW, there are many whom "know" about this incident! And all agreed you should have been prosecuted
to the full extent of the law!

Jimmy, try to EXPLAIN yourself out of this........OR PERHAPS YOU BETTER KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT as it
would be a clear admission to your behavior and the information and facts will be forwarded to the
victim for him to prosecute you!

BTW, if anyone wants to know what Jimmy did, just ask me IN PERSON!

Ed - just presenting the facts - Gin

Jim McNamara wrote:

> Ed,
>
> Allow me to preface my remarks by stating that your constant distortion of the truth renders much
> of what you have to say as suspect. Your rhetoric is ripe with equivocation. Let me help you with
> that one, Ed. Equivocation is falsification by employing language that is intentionally vague or
> ambiguous. You have mastered of equivocation to eether mislead or avoid an unpleasant truth. You
> have managed to deceive some people. I just happen not to be one of them. With that said, I'll
> address the twisted notions that you attempted to pass off as dogma, accorigin to Ed. OK, I'll
> help you with that one too. Dogma is a doctrine accepted as authoritative without any requirement
> of proof. This is precisely what you demand from everyone whenever you open you big mouth isn't
> it? As concerns my favorite pastime, I'll admit that when I first built up my bikes I was
> understandably enthused about, I was proud of what I had accomplished and yes, I did initially
> talk quite a bit about them, and yes ... their weight and their cost, but also their components,
> wheel building, etc., but this was more often than not in direct response to an inquiry. What's
> the crime in that? I recall you doing much the same and never thought poorly of you for doing so.
> Even your website had topics devoted to your bikes. As far as "USED" to ride with, my main "USED"
> to ride with "world class" training partner stopped riding for a while after he retired from the
> pro ranks and then he moved, a fact that you know and conveniently (read deliberately) omitted.
> Deceit ... you do love it so don't you? Have you no sense of fair play? Now, lets not even get
> into ego or bragging, shall we. I'll concede immediately knowing full well that I cannot begin to
> compete with you in that particular arena. When it comes to ego and bragging, nobody does is
> better Ed Gin. As concerns our North Branch trail encounters, I do my best to ignore you, but I
> recall having seen you 4 times. Only once was I stopped having a conversation with two cyclists at
> my day's designated turnaround point. You also stopped to engage these same two cyclists in
> conversation and immediately went on and one about your previous days cycling exploits. I rest my
> case. As concern "past" friends, you needn't fabricate rhetoric for them. No one I know talks
> remotely like that except you. As concerns the number of past friends, in the past five years, I
> have parted company with two people, one being you and the other is someone we have in common and
> he recently called me and expressed his desire to ride with me again. By the way, he had some
> unpleasant things to say about you, as did another riding companion that linked up with yesterday.
> You like to throw out numbers. I'd suggest that if we were to count who has lost more friends in
> the past five years, you know very well how the numbers would play out, so why do you persist in
> publicly setting yourself up for embarrassment yourself? As concerns my prior post that
> precipitated all of this banter, if I am mistaken, unlike yourself and your buddy above, I would
> be man enough to step forward, say that I'm wrong and offer my apology. Let's face facts though;
> insecure as you are, you don't pass up a single opportunity to seize center stage in order to bask
> in the limelight. By your own admission, you are a publicity hound. If your claimed of 21,861
> miles is accurate, it would be extremely uncharacteristic of you to pass up the chance to conduct
> your annual mileage survey in order to inscribe your feat on your website. You know it, and all of
> cyberspace knows
> it ... self-promotion is your specialty and no one is more accomplished at tooting his own horn
> than you are. With feigned humility, you asserted, "I saw no reason to post this on the
> website as it is not all that much mileage in comparison to my many years racing when
> younger." If I am to take you at your word, then I also have to call into question the reason
> why you were compelled to post your three previous year's mileage figures (12,268, 11,014 and
> 14,857). Is it just me or is this a mixed message that flies in the face of your "logic"? As
> concerns the picture you portrayed of me ... in fact, you are a year my senior ... I'm not
> lonely in search of companionship ... my hair has yet to turn gray. Have you no integrity, at
> all? I forgot ... liars don't have integrity!
>
> P.S. By the way, when are you going to learn the difference between "who" and "whom"? I suppose
> when you are able discern the difference between "limescreen shavings" and "limestone
> screenings" and "prowlness" and "prowess". Less time on the bike and more time hittin' the
> books might benefit one who is so feverishly engaged in self-promotion.
>
> Jim McNamara
>
> Ed Gin & Shirleen Kajiwara <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > Fastrider,
> >
> > Jimmy's favorite pastime is boasting to fellow cyclists "how expensive AND light" his bikes
> > are. Many of my fellow riders have always asked me why he brags about his bikes so often and
> > mentions whom he USED to ride with. Their perception is he is one ego centered braggart and
> > right they are.
> >
> > Recently others have mentioned to me, "every time I see Jimmy on the North Branch Trail, he
> > isn't riding, just jabbing away," as is the case the last 3 times I've seen him. No need to
> > guess what he is boasting about now, is there? ;-)
> >
> > I OTOH along with a couple of his "past" friends all wish him well with his retirement and may
> > he "find peace with himself." :)
> >
> > Fair warning though, if you EVER see a black P-38 sitting on the side of the Chicago North
> > Branch trail with a older gray haired fellow looking for companionship, think twice about
> > stopping!
> >
> > But if you do, tell him Ed sent you.... :)
> >
> > Ed - http://www.2ni2.com/emoticon/grupos/ola.gif - Gin
> >
> >
> >
> > fastrider wrote:
> >
> > > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Jim
> > > McNamara) wrote:
> > >
> > > > Stay tuned for more of the same bullhsit from the man who does it best, a legend in his own
> > > > mind and Peter Pan of the recumbent set ... "HEAD" Gin! - Jim McNamara
> > >
> > > You got it all wrong Jimmy, You are the one who is full of nothing but BS with all your self
> > > righteous, self serving, boring dribble you post on the HPV list. At least Ed takes an active
> > > part in the local HPV community, he has helped a lot of people get started with recumbents, he
> > > has organized rides and social events, he has been involved with the HPV racing circuit and
> > > also has a web site with a lot of documented information about fairings, projects and data
> > > regarding many recumbent models.
> > >
> > > You on the other hand have done nothing of benefit for the bent community.
> > >
> > > Jimmy you are just a bag of hot air on the HPV list who spends more time at the keyboard than
> > > riding his bike. Save your big stories about all the world class cyclist you ride with on the
> > > North Branch trail for Ripley's Believe It or Not. Looks like you are the one full of BS
> > > Jimmy.
> > >
> > > Fastrider

Status
Not open for further replies.