Unfit...out of shape...uninspired

worldtourjon

Apr 7, 2010
Hi guys
I'm new here (and to this forum format etc.) but am looking for some training advice. I love being out on the bike however I'd put myself on the bottom rung of experience. I used to go out sometimes daily and cycle for an hour or so 20-60 miles a day just to mess around and get fit.

Due to many different factors the bike has been shelved for well over a year but with summer approaching I want to get back and get fit. I'd say I'm probably about 3 stone overweight (given im 5' 8" and about 13 stone you can imagine) I used to play rugby so I'm not small up top but thats very quickly been replaced by nothing but lard!! I digress...

I'm looking to get back onto the bike and if I was to go back to my previous method of just getting up and going out on the bike it would not work for me with my lifestyle (i used to be a student with endless free days) or in terms of a routine as obviously I never really took it up previously, therefore never kept going.

I work pretty much 9-5 or 8-4 - 5 days a week. Takes about an hour to get home and there are no showering facilities in or near work which means I can only cycle after work and can't cycle into work. What kind of traning pattern would you lot suggest? I'm happy to go intensivley I'm still quite fit (still run and always maintain a good level of natural fitness) but with time constraints I really do wonder how and when people fit the time in. I've tried getting up early to run which I don't mind, but too early and there's no light which for running I can get away with but biking I can't imagine is so enjoyable. I really want to get fit this summer (or starting today really) but I'm not sure how to go about doing it because I really want to get into a routine.

The second point really would be that I live bang smack in the middle of a big city. I probably have to do 5 miles to get into anywhere that's slightly rural so thats 10 miles of what in the past has been a 20 mile trip on very busy roads. I have a local woods near me where I usually go instead but its a 5 mile trip there, round and then back so I don't really fancy doing that 20 odd times. How do you lot motivate yourself in urban conditions to keep going?

Finally I'm pretty enthusiastic and stubborn so I usually just end up going out and doing as much as I can in a day and then knackering myself out. Is it best potentially to do 2 or maybe 3 trips in a day over shorter distance than doing one long haul (obviously in the mean time to build fitness) or is it better to restrain myself and try build it up gently (which will leave me frustrated the first few times that i've not done enough), or i suppose just have the balls to get back on the bike everyday and keep wearing myself out at the end and doing my best to sleep and eat properly in between so as to rest up properly?

Hope someone can help and give me the inspiration I need

Jon

Hi Jon,

First of all, good for you for taking up cycling again. Trying to come back after losing some fitness is challenging (and painful), but so many people have done it, myself included, that I am confident that you can too.

Living in chicago, I am well aware of the challenges of cycling and training in an urban area. For my morning rides, I usually ride on a multi-use path (MUP) usually at the crack of dawn (literally, I see the sun come up shortly into my ride). This is not a best-case scenario as MUPs are notorious for runners not paying attention and roller-bladers taking up the whole width of the path, but I have found a time/place that isn't too crazy and can usually get in 30mi in the morning on the MUP before work and before the crowds come up. I usually do this 2-3xs/week. When you make a habit of this, it starts to feel really great to get in a good workout before work.

I usually try to get at least one day of intervals in during the week and another on the weekend (sat). Weekday intervals are usually after work. This works because the workouts don't take too long (to be absolutely exhausting) and can therefore be done in a short block of time before the sun goes down.

Weekends are some combination of intervals, races, and a long club rides (depending on the race calendar and weather).

Since you are just getting started, I don't suggest the sort of volume or intensity I described for myself. I just wanted to let you know that it is possible to balance intensive training with work and the hours in a day.

For you, I would start by riding a distance or time that you are comfortable with. You should be tired at the end, but able to go on if you had too, and not too sore the next day that you couldn't ride. Ride that distance or time 2-3 weekdays/week. Don't do any intensity, just keep it steady and comfortable.

On the weekends, try to go longer one day (sat or sun), and slowly build more miles into that longer day (10% increments is the rule of thumb for increasing mileage).

Basically, I want you to build a fitness base and to get your body accustomed to cycling. This won't take as long as you fear, but you need to stick to your training plan. And don't overdo it, because then you risk injury, time off the bike, and starting from square one again.

And don't say that you are uninspired. If you say that, you will never reach your goals. Go out there with a positive attitude, a little determination, and your inner child reminding you how much fun it is to ride a bike :)

If you are still having trouble sticking to your training plan, find partners to ride with you who are at, or a little bit above, your fitness/skill level. When you commit to meeting someone before dawn for a ride, you better be there! It will get you out of bed, and be fun/social instead of just work of logging the miles.

Good luck and have fun!

Great advice by Calico, so I'll just add: Welcome to the forum, Jon. I hope you're able to find a riding schedule that will mesh well with your work and your other activities.

My advice would be to forget about "ideal training" and just figure out a way of getting out regularly. It sounds like you could easily fit in 1-1:30 after work a couple times a week. Try to find a route where you can keep a steady pace, but don't worry too much about it. Then add one long or two short rides on the weekend and you will have a pretty good schedule. Keep that up for a couple months and you will start to feel fit and can go from there.

Jon,

I see from your profile that you're in the UK somewhere. What city?

There's probably a few bike shops that cater to the racing crowd - the next time you need something for the bike, just ask one of the folks behing the counter where good places are to to ride.

I think there's a function in My Map Ride (mapmyride.com) where you can see other peoples training rides.

swampy1970 said:
Jon,

I see from your profile that you're in the UK somewhere. What city?

There's probably a few bike shops that cater to the racing crowd - the next time you need something for the bike, just ask one of the folks behing the counter where good places are to to ride.

I think there's a function in My Map Ride (mapmyride.com) where you can see other peoples training rides.

Bibendum finally found a thread he can relate to...OP, be careful in heeding his advice as it obviously hasn't helped him in the least...:p

Unfortunately for you, even being unfit last year yielded a higher P/W than you...

Let's keep this in the other thread - the one where you received 1st place non-podium finshers award.

swampy1970 said:
Unfortunately for you, even being unfit last year yielded a higher P/W than you...

Let's keep this in the other thread - the one where you received 1st place non-podium finshers award.

Keep on waxing your nostalgia, bigboy...:D

With summer coming and longer lighter nights it's the perfect time for you to start cycle training. The traffic clears at night so try to get out for an hour on an evening. you will need to find the best route out of the city but with practice you'll soon find some quick ways out. I live in the city but have discoved some quick ways into the countryside. it may take you thirty minutes to get out but this is all training and your fitness will be improving all the time.

Try to fit an hour in early evening when the traffic is low. use this training time to recce good routes. they'll be some good cycling routes around you you just won't be aware of them I didn't know there was so many round me until i started looking.

Good Luck

decca

You said getting up early for a run was workable for you, I like the early morning with its lighter traffic and 'flexible' traffic controls plus coming back in as the traffic picks up you are tired so slowing down and being careful dont hold you up really... In the early and late seasons reflective material and lights are important safety measures at dawn. Getting out the door after work for me was always rushed and the traffic was stressful trying to get out of the city...

stay safe,

curby