unfortunately "lycra louts" *do* exist :(

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mr [email protected] \ -Lsqco, Feb 12, 2003.

  1. A few days ago I was riding home from work. One part of the route is a non-segregated shared-use
    path by the Thames, on which the tarmac is in a bad state of repair.

    I was proceeding along this at about 16mph - this being as fast as I felt was a safe speed due to
    the amount of potholes at this part of the path, and the presence of an old granny-lady who was
    walking along on the opposite side of the path (nearest to the river)

    Behind me was a chap on a decent road bike - wearing lid, racers' jacket, b*bt*ghts. Obviously a
    "Real Cyclist" - I would expect this chap may even have won a trophy or two!

    But he obviously considered 16mph *far too slow* - and decided to overtake me at speed so he could
    get ahead on to a better bit of the path, nearly running straight into the granny and having to
    swerve sharply to avoid coming off!

    Isn't this just *loutish behaviour?* The old lady looked quite intimidated, and had there been a
    collision at worst one or both of them could have ended up in the cold, deep and filthy river; at
    the least they would both have had a painful crash and he would have bent his forks and front wheel.
    There's a good reason why British Waterways warn cyclists to be careful on shared paths via
    riverbanks - and *not* to try and "race" other cyclists!

    Furthermore he didn't gain *that* much ground on me (following in a street-converted MTB [semi-slick
    tyres, rack etc] with loaded panniers), for the risk he took. And he if he was training (hence the
    big hurry) he could have gone just 2 miles further into S.Oxfordshire onto an open road where he
    could go as fast as he pleased without grannies "in his way" (after all, surely she has a right too
    for a walk by the river?(

    We moan (rightly) at cagers, but it seems some cyclists are just as bad with their "me first"
    personality. Are some people just *incapable* of sharing a community resource (such as a riverside
    path) these days?

    Alex

    Tags:

  2. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Wed, 12 Feb 2003 20:32:03 -0000, "Mr [email protected] \(2.3 zulu-alpha\) [comms room new build]"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >A few days ago I was riding home from work. One part of the route is a non-segregated shared-use
    >path by the Thames, on which the tarmac is in a bad state of repair.

    Bad bad boy. Keep clear of sh*r*d *s* p*ths!

    Of course Lycra louts exist. They are as representative of typical cyclists as minicab drivers are
    representative of typical drivers.

    I hope you slowed down and asked the old dear if she was alright, to restore her faith in cyclists.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  3. In news:[email protected], Just zis Guy, you know?
    <[email protected]> typed:

    > Bad bad boy. Keep clear of sh*r*d *s* p*ths!

    I normally *do* (especially the really dodgy ones in the town centre) but this part is usually
    genuinely quicker (and safer) than the roads.

    > I hope you slowed down and asked the old dear if she was alright, to restore her faith in
    > cyclists.

    I have to admit I didn't :( - I feared she would only think I was taking the piss, or that we *both*
    had hatched up a ploy to frighten her and then nick her handbag for heroin money. (there have been
    several bag snatches by scally cyclists in that area). This *is* Reading after all....

    Alex

  4. Graeme Dods

    Graeme Dods Guest

    > Of course Lycra louts exist.

    Every time I hear the term "Lycra Louts" the image that comes to mind is not one of inconsiderate
    cyclists but of a mob clad in leg warmers and multi coloured leotards fresh from their aerobics
    session, rampaging down the street, shouting and swigging from beer bottles.

    Should I see a doctor? ;-)

    Have fun!

    Graeme

  5. Rory

    Rory Guest

    Mr [email protected] wrote

    > We moan (rightly) at cagers, but it seems some cyclists are just as bad with their "me first"
    > personality. Are some people just *incapable* of sharing a community resource (such as a riverside
    > path) these days?

    Sadly it's true: you know that "moral high-ground" that some cyclists like to inhabit (PCEOC)
    regarding environment, pollution and stuff? We go to to realise that the humble pedestrian lives
    further up the hill - unless they've just parked-up their 4x4, in which case they are still enemy
    combatants and are fair game.

  6. Tony Woods

    Tony Woods Guest

    "Graeme Dods" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Every time I hear the term "Lycra Louts" the image that comes to mind is not one of inconsiderate
    > cyclists but of a mob clad in leg warmers and multi coloured leotards fresh from their aerobics
    > session, rampaging down the street, shouting and swigging from beer bottles.
    >
    > Should I see a doctor? ;-)

    No -- but you should avoid these types. They are fit b*stards, you know!!