unfortunately "lycra louts" *do* exist :(

Mr R@T \ -Lsqco

Guest
A few days ago I was riding home from work. One part of the route is a non-segregated shared-use
path by the Thames, on which the tarmac is in a bad state of repair.

I was proceeding along this at about 16mph - this being as fast as I felt was a safe speed due to
the amount of potholes at this part of the path, and the presence of an old granny-lady who was
walking along on the opposite side of the path (nearest to the river)

Behind me was a chap on a decent road bike - wearing lid, racers' jacket, b*bt*ghts. Obviously a
"Real Cyclist" - I would expect this chap may even have won a trophy or two!

But he obviously considered 16mph *far too slow* - and decided to overtake me at speed so he could
get ahead on to a better bit of the path, nearly running straight into the granny and having to
swerve sharply to avoid coming off!

Isn't this just *loutish behaviour?* The old lady looked quite intimidated, and had there been a
collision at worst one or both of them could have ended up in the cold, deep and filthy river; at
the least they would both have had a painful crash and he would have bent his forks and front wheel.
There's a good reason why British Waterways warn cyclists to be careful on shared paths via
riverbanks - and *not* to try and "race" other cyclists!

Furthermore he didn't gain *that* much ground on me (following in a street-converted MTB [semi-slick
tyres, rack etc] with loaded panniers), for the risk he took. And he if he was training (hence the
big hurry) he could have gone just 2 miles further into S.Oxfordshire onto an open road where he
could go as fast as he pleased without grannies "in his way" (after all, surely she has a right too
for a walk by the river?(

We moan (rightly) at cagers, but it seems some cyclists are just as bad with their "me first"
personality. Are some people just *incapable* of sharing a community resource (such as a riverside
path) these days?

Alex

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003 20:32:03 -0000, "Mr R@t \(2.3 zulu-alpha\) [comms room new build]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>A few days ago I was riding home from work. One part of the route is a non-segregated shared-use
>path by the Thames, on which the tarmac is in a bad state of repair.

Bad bad boy. Keep clear of sh*r*d *s* p*ths!

Of course Lycra louts exist. They are as representative of typical cyclists as minicab drivers are
representative of typical drivers.

I hope you slowed down and asked the old dear if she was alright, to restore her faith in cyclists.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

In news:[email protected], Just zis Guy, you know?
<[email protected]> typed:

> Bad bad boy. Keep clear of sh*r*d *s* p*ths!

I normally *do* (especially the really dodgy ones in the town centre) but this part is usually
genuinely quicker (and safer) than the roads.

> I hope you slowed down and asked the old dear if she was alright, to restore her faith in
> cyclists.

I have to admit I didn't :( - I feared she would only think I was taking the ****, or that we *both*
had hatched up a ploy to frighten her and then nick her handbag for heroin money. (there have been
several bag snatches by scally cyclists in that area). This *is* Reading after all....

Alex

news:<[email protected]>...

> Of course Lycra louts exist.

Every time I hear the term "Lycra Louts" the image that comes to mind is not one of inconsiderate
cyclists but of a mob clad in leg warmers and multi coloured leotards fresh from their aerobics
session, rampaging down the street, shouting and swigging from beer bottles.

Should I see a doctor? ;-)

Have fun!

Graeme

Mr [email protected] wrote

> We moan (rightly) at cagers, but it seems some cyclists are just as bad with their "me first"
> personality. Are some people just *incapable* of sharing a community resource (such as a riverside
> path) these days?

Sadly it's true: you know that "moral high-ground" that some cyclists like to inhabit (PCEOC)
regarding environment, pollution and stuff? We go to to realise that the humble pedestrian lives
further up the hill - unless they've just parked-up their 4x4, in which case they are still enemy
combatants and are fair game.

"Graeme Dods" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Every time I hear the term "Lycra Louts" the image that comes to mind is not one of inconsiderate
> cyclists but of a mob clad in leg warmers and multi coloured leotards fresh from their aerobics
> session, rampaging down the street, shouting and swigging from beer bottles.
>
> Should I see a doctor? ;-)

No -- but you should avoid these types. They are fit b*stards, you know!!