Unfriendly Pubs

Sam Salt

Guest
Just returned from a few days touring.Was not impressed by the reception we received at ' The Three
Horseshoes ' Madingley,near Cambridge.Sat out in beer garden but very quickly asked to move bikes as
they ' were going to be serving food shortly '( the pub not the bikes ).In other words we might have
lowered the tone in front of the BMW owners.

Sam Salt

---

>Was not impressed by the reception we received at ' The Three Horseshoes ' Madingley,near
>Cambridge.

One to avoid then!

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$**o$l.c$$*o$*m*$ by getting rid of the
overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~

In news:[email protected], Sam Salt <[email protected]> typed:
> Just returned from a few days touring.Was not impressed by the reception we received at ' The
> Three Horseshoes ' Madingley,near Cambridge.Sat out in beer garden but very quickly asked to move
> bikes as they ' were going to be serving food shortly '( the pub not the bikes ).In other words we
> might have lowered the tone in front of the BMW owners.

Its more of a posh restaurant than a pub. Nice food though.

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

On 12 Jul, wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX <[email protected]> wrote:

> >Was not impressed by the reception we received at ' The Three Horseshoes ' Madingley,near
> >Cambridge.
>
> One to avoid then!

Well, that's a tough one, actually, 'cos last I was in teh vicinty it was very, very good food they
served there.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

wrote:

> > >Was not impressed by the reception we received at ' The Three Horseshoes ' Madingley,near
> > >Cambridge.
> >
> > One to avoid then!
>
> Well, that's a tough one, actually, 'cos last I was in the vicinity it was very, very good food
> they served there.

We could take the scientific approach and repeat the experiment by having a URC members gathering
there sometime soon. It certainly sounds like there are several posting here who are within easy
cycling distance.

--
Mark South: Citizen of the World, Denizen of the Net "I wonder why so many Finnish traditions are
related with booze?"

In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the
keyboard of "Mark South" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > One to avoid then!
>>
>> Well, that's a tough one, actually, 'cos last I was in the vicinity it was very, very good food
>> they served there.

Cambridge has a few places that don't want students (in my time there was something called the
Ancient Shepherds that went out of its way to be unpleasant to students). Perhaps the OP and his
friend(s) looked student-like?

> We could take the scientific approach and repeat the experiment by having a URC members gathering
> there sometime soon. It certainly sounds like there are several posting here who are within easy
> cycling distance.

Why? Cambridge isn't short of places that'll serve good food without being unpleasant about it.

Hmmmm ... I could almost be tempted to tell the one about the moped and the ferrari at this point
... that was a very nice restaurant.

--
Axis of Evil: Whose economy needs ever more wars? Arms Exports $bn: USA 14.2, UK 5.1, vs France 1.5,
Germany 0.8 (The Economist, July 2002)

The food may be good,just don't go on your bike.

Sam Salt

Ian Smith wrote:
> On 12 Jul, wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>> Was not impressed by the reception we received at ' The Three Horseshoes ' Madingley,near
>>> Cambridge.
>>
>> One to avoid then!
>
> Well, that's a tough one, actually, 'cos last I was in teh vicinty it was very, very good food
> they served there.
>
> regards, Ian SMith

---

In news:[email protected], Nick Kew <[email protected]> typed:

> Hmmmm ... I could almost be tempted to tell the one about the moped and the ferrari at this point
> ... that was a very nice restaurant.

We were doing a family tandem tour in France a few years ago and mistakenly read the campsite guide
turning up late in a small village to find a small empty field instead of somewhere bigger with a
shop etc. With no food and hungry kids we set off to find a local cafe. The only place in town was a
very posh hotel/restaurant with BM's & Mercs parked outside. We parked up the tandems and ventured
in to ask if they had a table for four. We were whisked into the restuarant where we had a superb
meal surrounded by people dining in suits, smart evening wear & jewelery while we sat in shorts,
somewhat grubby teeshirts and reeking of DEET. Nobody batted an eyelid.

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

Tony Raven wrote:

>We were doing a family tandem tour in France a few years ago and mistakenly read the campsite guide
>turning up late in a small village to find a small empty field instead of somewhere bigger with a
>shop etc. With no food and hungry kids we set off to find a local cafe. The only place in town was
>a very posh hotel/restaurant with BM's & Mercs parked outside. We parked up the tandems and
>ventured in to ask if they had a table for four. We were whisked into the restuarant where we had a
>superb meal surrounded by people dining in suits, smart evening wear & jewelery while we sat in
>shorts, somewhat grubby teeshirts and reeking of DEET. Nobody batted an eyelid.

I had several similar experiences in the Pyrenees last year. Turn up at the door looking as scabby
as can be. No room at the inn. However, as soon as Madame sees you are on bikes rooms suddenly
materialise. At one place, Biert - just east of Massat, we arrived at a hotel just as the rain was
starting. When Monsieur saw us he immediately told us he had no room - however, his mother had seen
us arrive on bikes and said we could use Monsieur's room and he would sleep on the floor! We were
led with our bikes through the busy restaurant, up the stairs to the junk room to deposit our bikes
securely, then sat down in the restaurant to a truly excellent meal. No one seemed to care that we
had not washed.
--
remove remove to reply

"Gonzalez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Tony Raven wrote:
>
> >We were doing a family tandem tour in France a few years ago and
mistakenly
> >read the campsite guide turning up late in a small village to find a
small
> >empty field instead of somewhere bigger with a shop etc. With no food
and
> >hungry kids we set off to find a local cafe. The only place in town was
> >very posh hotel/restaurant with BM's & Mercs parked outside. We parked
up
> >the tandems and ventured in to ask if they had a table for four. We were whisked into the
> >restuarant where we had a superb meal surrounded by
people
> >dining in suits, smart evening wear & jewelery while we sat in shorts, somewhat grubby teeshirts
> >and reeking of DEET. Nobody batted an eyelid.
>
> I had several similar experiences in the Pyrenees last year. Turn up at the door looking as scabby
> as can be. No room at the inn. However, as soon as Madame sees you are on bikes rooms suddenly
> materialise. At one place, Biert - just east of Massat, we arrived at a hotel just as the rain was
> starting. When Monsieur saw us he immediately told us he had no room - however, his mother had
> seen us arrive on bikes and said we could use Monsieur's room and he would sleep on the floor! We
> were led with our bikes through the busy restaurant, up the stairs to the junk room to deposit our
> bikes securely, then sat down in the restaurant to a truly excellent meal. No one seemed to care
> that we had not washed.
> --
> remove remove to reply

Does seem to be a peculiarly English approach...although having said that when I did my E2E (sorry -
<yawn>), in March, I experienced only 'good vibes' at each stop, no matter what my condition.
Pleasantly suprised to say the least. Maybe it's specifically 'posh Suvern' areas, which I
avoided.... Dave.

news:<[email protected]>...
> In news:[email protected], Sam Salt
> <[email protected]> typed:
> > Just returned from a few days touring.Was not impressed by the reception we received at ' The
> > Three Horseshoes ' Madingley,near Cambridge.Sat out in beer garden but very quickly asked to
> > move bikes as they ' were going to be serving food shortly '( the pub not the bikes ).In other
> > words we might have lowered the tone in front of the BMW owners.
> >

> Its more of a posh restaurant than a pub. Nice food though.
>
> Tony
The only time I ever did Lon-Cambridge there was a pub with a very large blackboard up "Only regular
customers will be served" with about 50 riders sat outside on grass at 1130 (Sunday remember)eating
their sarnies. A shame becuase the village had actually put up a TDF style

across the road. Best bike ride pub in the world is the Red Lion Turners Hill on L2B (off route to
the right, follow the cars and tell the plod you are meeting people at pub; you also get to ride up
the hill unlike the main route, and it's steeper. And it's Harveys. And it's 25 miles before the
Mother so plenty of time to ride off that pint.

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 19:44:43 +0000 (UTC), "Sam Salt"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Just returned from a few days touring.Was not impressed by the reception we received at ' The Three
>Horseshoes ' Madingley,near Cambridge.Sat out in beer garden but very quickly asked to move bikes
>as they ' were going to be serving food shortly '( the pub not the bikes ).In other words we might
>have lowered the tone in front of the BMW owners.

Hi Sam

Funny how a bike costing £2,500+ is unacceptable whereas a beaten up car worth a few quid is
considered to be OK. I don't know what sort of bike you have but I do so enjoy playing the
Devil's Advocte.

James

"Gonzalez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I had several similar experiences in the Pyrenees last year. Turn up at the door looking as scabby
> as can be. No room at the inn. However, as soon as Madame sees you are on bikes rooms suddenly
> materialise. At one place, Biert - just east of Massat, we arrived at a hotel just as the rain was
> starting. When Monsieur saw us he immediately told us he had no room - however, his mother had
> seen us arrive on bikes

Theres a general french thing about bikes. I just played host to a pair of French blokes who I had
never ever heard talking about bikes. On goes the TdF (for once in English on analogue - not that
its any use for them) and they're on about it, (esp. as there was that "old" frenchman winning
things yesterday). Mentioned last night to another (french) guy going to move to Grenoble, and he
suggested that I should visit some time to go and see a mountain stage - again I've never talked
bike with him, but have seen a photo of him in his youth decked out like a roadie. A fourth bloke
had to pick his car up. Despite being 50+, a heavy smoker and drinker, likely to be impaired with
a hangover and doesn't ride his road bike because "he cannot get the right size of metric tyres in
britain" [1] - he warmed to the idea of me going to pick him up on the tandem to bring him back
for his car.

Its a thing about the French - for all the car-phillia and the realative lack of bike commuting,
they have a great deal of respect for cycling.

[1] **** excuse. When the B.H. was there a lack of tyres for common formats in the UK on a bike
bought in France. Perhaps Sheldon Brown would know. Do you think he'd materialise if I said
"Sheldon Brown" often enough?

"W K" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Perhaps Sheldon Brown would know. Do you think he'd materialise if I said "Sheldon Brown"
> often enough?

I think you have to say his name three times in front of a mirror. Then he appears with a spoke key
in his hand. Or am I getting that mixed up with some crappy film? :)

Have fun!

Graeme

P.S. No disrespect intended to Sheldon in the above. He is the cycling Oracle!

Quoth W K:

> A fourth bloke had to pick his car up. Despite being 50+, a heavy smoker and drinker, likely to be
> impaired with a hangover and doesn't ride his road bike because "he cannot get the right size of
> metric tyres in britain" [1] - he warmed to the idea of me going to pick him up on the tandem to
> bring him back for his car.
>
> Its a thing about the French - for all the car-phillia and the realative lack of bike commuting,
> they have a great deal of respect for cycling.
>

> [1] **** excuse. When the B.H. was there a lack of tyres for common formats in the UK on a bike
> bought in France. Perhaps Sheldon Brown would know.

There was a time, as recently as the 1970s, when 622 mm / 700c tyres were difficult to find in
English speaking countries. This is obviously no longer the case.

Do you think he'd materialise if I said
> "Sheldon Brown" often enough?

You need the incense, not just the incantation.

Sheldon "Shazam!" Brown +-------------------------------------------------+
| Search the Quality Bicycle Products Catalog | and order on line: |
| http://sheldonbrown.com/quality |
+-------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

Sheldon Brown wrote:

> There was a time, as recently as the 1970s, when 622 mm / 700c tyres were difficult to find in
> English speaking countries. This is obviously no longer the case.

And even unto the eighties in this English-speaking country. You *could* get 622's but they were all
skinny lightweight things and Not To Be Trusted for touring, which is why my Revell Romany, circa
1985, still runs on 630's.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

I observed:

>>There was a time, as recently as the 1970s, when 622 mm / 700c tyres were difficult to find in
>>English speaking countries. This is obviously no longer the case.

Dave Larrington added:

> And even unto the eighties in this English-speaking country. You *could* get 622's but they were
> all skinny lightweight things and Not To Be Trusted for touring, which is why my Revell Romany,
> circa 1985, still runs on 630's.

Back in the '70s, before I knew her, my wife was living and teaching in France, riding with a French
club, but also visiting That Sceptred Isle fairly regularly.

You couldn't get 622s in the U.K, and you couldn't get 630s in France, so she, like many others back
in the day, toured on tubs, which were available on both sides of the Channel.

She used to ride her Holdsworth up from Paris, take the ferry across, and buy half a dozen Pletscher
racks to bring home for her French friends...back then, decent, inexpensive rear racks weren't
available there.

Sheldon "Harriet's Hubby" Brown +----------------------------------------------+
| Check out my wife's tale of her experience |
| in the 1975 Paris-Brest-Paris at: |
| http://harrietfell.com/PBP1975.html |

Sheldon Brown wrote:

> Back in the '70s, before I knew her, my wife was living and teaching in France, riding with a
> French club, but also visiting That Sceptred Isle fairly regularly.
>
> You couldn't get 622s in the U.K, and you couldn't get 630s in France,

The first time I went touring in France, in 1982, I was on a Claud Butler Majestic, which had skinny
little 28-630 Things on. I was perturbed to discover, on about the second or third day, the rear one
had worn down to the canvas. We took the bus into Nantes and toured every bike shop in the city, to
no avail. On the verge of giving up we found one final shop buried in the back streets which,
improbably, had a fine and shiny Michelin buried in the depths of the cellar and which Madame was
happy to part with for a nominal fee. I think she was just glad to get rid of it, while we were
ecstatic at the prospect of not having to walk back to St. Malo...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/