Uni dog backpack

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by Erin, Jan 28, 2006.

  1. Erin

    Erin Guest

    I've got a crazy scheme in mind. And being that its pretty crazy, I
    thought I better run it by a few sane people here (ok, so that means
    only sane peeps need reply :) .... humm, that kind of narrows it down,
    eh?! :p )

    I like to roll around town with the company of my wee dawg. He is only
    11 lbs of spit and snarl - he is a 'pitPom'. Generally we go longboard
    skateboarding together. And we like to go a long ways for a long time.
    When he gets a bit weary he begs a ride and then, comfortably settled
    in my arms as I kick and glide, we continue on our way.

    So recently I figured: "Why not take him uni'ing with me"? along the
    same routes as I skate: bike paths, the seawall, etc? Say I'm on a 20
    inch uni, not too fast for his wee paws, right? And say he gets tired?
    A little awkward to scoop him in my arms, maybe say I plop him into a
    doggie backpack...he rides for a while and then paws meet pavement
    again.

    I don't know if 11 lbs in a doggie back pack might be a bit much on a
    uni. What do you think?

    --
    Erin
    Erin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2036

  2. silverfridge

    silverfridge Guest

    should be fine, u will have to adjust to the weight a bit, just practice
    riding about with him in, sounds like a bloody good idea
    think i could get a squid bag for my eight foot long, korean whale
    hunter?:D

    (hey, u said i was sane, jj):p

    --
    silverfridge

    GOD SPEED!
    silverfridge's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11533

  3. koebwil

    koebwil Guest

    if you could get your dog to ride on the front of your longboard it
    would be the most adorably cool thing I have ever seen. I would work
    on that if I were you.
    The uni thing, it would probably work, but your dog might move around
    which would make it tough.

    --
    koebwil
    koebwil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11308

  4. Erin

    Erin Guest

    koebwil wrote:
    > if you could get your dog to ride on the front of your longboard it
    > would be the most adorably cool thing I have ever seen. I would work
    > on that if I were you.
    > The uni thing, it would probably work, but your dog might move around
    > which would make it tough.

    ....not a great pic but you get the idea.....

    |Filename: jamie cr pin.jpg |

    Erin
    Erin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2036

  5. koebwil

    koebwil Guest

  6. Erin

    Erin Guest

  7. koebwil

    koebwil Guest

  8. onewheeldave

    onewheeldave Guest

    As another alternative for your dog, check this site out-

    http://www.skateboardingbulldog.com

    it's no gimmick, the dog really can skateboard and clearly loves to do
    so- if you go to the 'movies' page there's some excellent clips of
    Tyson in action.

    |Filename: tyskate014.jpg |

    onewheeldave

    "You can't outrun Death forever.
    But you can make the Bastard work for it."

    --MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
    "Last of The Lancers"
    AFC 32
    onewheeldave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/874

  9. Erin

    Erin Guest

    onewheeldave wrote:
    > As another alternative for your dog, check this site out-
    >
    > http://www.skateboardingbulldog.com
    >
    > it's no gimmick, the dog really can skateboard and clearly loves to do
    > so- if you go to the 'movies' page there's some excellent clips of
    > Tyson in action.

    Yes, Tyson is one amazing skateboarding dog! He is well known and
    respected in the skateboard community.

    --
    Erin
    Erin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2036

  10. Probailer2

    Probailer2 Guest

    onewheeldave wrote:
    > As another alternative for your dog, check this site out-
    >
    > http://www.skateboardingbulldog.com
    >
    > it's no gimmick, the dog really can skateboard and clearly loves to do
    > so- if you go to the 'movies' page there's some excellent clips of
    > Tyson in action.

    I saw him on TV.
    What a cool dog:cool:

    --
    Probailer2
    Probailer2's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11034

  11. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Erin wrote:
    > I don't know if 11 lbs in a doggie back pack might be a bit much on a
    > uni. What do you think?

    I think if you happened to fall off backwards then at least you'd have a
    soft landing.

    Have you thought about using a cat carrier for your dog?
    <URL:http://www.6v6gt.com/humor/catcarrier.jpg>

    Subscribe to PlusNet <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/referral/>

  12. leo

    leo Guest

    Erin wrote:
    > What do you think?

    If you are serious, don't mind spending money on quality, then let me
    introduce you to the ppl of 'RadicalDesign'
    (http://www.radicaldesign.nl), who are making stuff for Brompton and
    Semcycle.

    One other article that came from customer-requests, you like to see:
    http://www.radicaldesign.nl/en/products/dog/dogpacks.html

    Further I know these back-packs a French SWAT Squad is using for
    parachute jumps. I know these are also made by a Dutch campany as well.
    But I don't know any name or address.

    |Filename: frenchD18.jpg |

    leo

    leo vandewoestijne
    *'+1 866-uni-cycl' (callto://+18668642925)
    'unicycle.net' (http://www.unicycle.net/)

    'subscribe' (http://www.unicyclist.org/cont/subscribe.cfm) to
    'unicyclist.org' (http://www.unicyclist.org/)!*
    leo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/224

  13. lleberg

    lleberg Guest

  14. Tellurider

    Tellurider Guest

    I have a chow lab mix named Uni, and a maltese (Chloe) and when we go
    for rides or cross country skiing I wear a pack for carying the little
    one when she gets tired or when the snow is deep. I have a pack that
    she can sit comfortably in with just her head sticking out it works
    great. She is a only seven pounds and I hardly even notice she is
    there. I definitly ride a little more carefuly when she is on my back
    and I take her out if I am doing something where I am more likely to
    take a tumble. The only thing I haven't worked out is the camel back
    and dog but I dont take her on long rides anyway.

    --
    Tellurider

    There's a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".
    Tellurider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4972

  15. Erin

    Erin Guest

    Leo, thanks for the links, the Radical products do look really top of
    the line. As for a doggie backpack, perhaps I confused you, it isn't
    something for the dog to wear but rather for me to wear so that I can
    carry the dog on my back when he gets tired on a long ride.

    Tellurider, its helpful to hear from someone who has tried this idea
    out. Did your dog take to the pack right away or were there some things
    you did first to help her get comfortable riding in there? Any tips or
    suggestions would be appreciated.

    BTW, today I picked up a light duty trials uni and was able to walk the
    dog on the leash while I rode the 20 incher. I also looked at dog
    packs and tried him in a couple. So I'm on my way with this project
    and so far its looking hopeful.

    --
    Erin
    Erin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2036

  16. habbywall

    habbywall Guest

    dont fall backwards, maybe you should put the pack in front so if you
    fall, your hands can brace you and protect the dog, cause if you fell
    backwards on the dog it would hurt him

    --
    habbywall

    'Nick.Jantz' (http://www.nickjantz.2ya.com)
    Most Replys: 'page 3000!!' (http://tinyurl.com/cy3vc)
    PM about advertising here!
    kristine did it! you should too!
    '\"Ninjas. Unicycles. Yeah.\" Shirts are out!'
    (http://tinyurl.com/954wy)
    habbywall's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10260

  17. tholub

    tholub Guest

    I've ridden good distances (20 miles in a day) with a 50 pound pack.
    Falling over backwards really isn't an issue, if you're doing
    street/sidewalk riding. Mounting and idling are more challenging, but
    riding is not much different, even with significant weight.

    --
    tholub

  18. harper

    harper Guest

    Erin, that "dog" looks more like a power bar to me. I think it would
    come in particularly handy when you're hungry from pushing that
    longboard. Are you back on the trials cycle again yet?

    --
    harper

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    This is still my nth post....*AWESOME!!!*

  19. Erin

    Erin Guest

    harper wrote:
    > Erin, that "dog" looks more like a power bar to me. I think it would
    > come in particularly handy when you're hungry from pushing that
    > longboard. Are you back on the trials cycle again yet?

    Hi Greg! Power Bar! Ha, that's just cause you've got a dog that would
    the equivalent to a side of beef!!! :p

    Yeah, I just scored a little powder puff trials machine today. No big
    flying leaps for me anymore but I was missing my wee hop-skip-and-jumps
    moves of year's past.

    here's a pic of the new ride:

    |Filename: Tuni 2.jpg |

    Erin
    Erin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2036

  20. Tellurider

    Tellurider Guest

    Erin wrote:

    > Tellurider, its helpful to hear from someone who has tried this idea
    > out. Did your dog take to the pack right away or were there some things
    > you did first to help her get comfortable riding in there? Any tips or
    > suggestions would be appreciated.

    Hi Erin, our dog Chloe has been carried around in many diffrent types
    of bags and is very easy going. She has been smuggled onto air planes
    (pre 911) and into movie theaters and restaraunts so she took to the
    backpack with ease.

    The main thing would be to find a pack that is comfortable for your
    dog so he can sit up comfortably and can have his head out. The pack we
    use is an old Edie Bauer pack with an upper and lower compartment that
    is kind of pear shaped and we put her in the lower compartment and with
    nothing in the top compartment.

    I put her in before putting the pack on when I am by myself but it
    works better if I put the pack on then have someone else put her in.
    All I have to do to get her out is to sit down on the ground and she
    can hop out unasisted.

    Let us know how it works out, and good luck.

    Dan.