uni spin

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by nickvb123, Jun 7, 2004.

  1. nickvb123

    nickvb123 Guest

    Tags:

  2. darchibald

    darchibald Guest

    I;m working on that now. Can you give some tips. I can normallt get at
    least one foot on the pedal but the other just misses and I get a nice
    pedal whack to the shin. Any advice is welcome.

    David

    Ps. Congratulations!

    --
    darchibald - Unofficial level 4.5

    "Testacles still intact" ~ My mom's reaction after watching me do a
    suicide mount.
    darchibald's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6240

  3. thinuniking

    thinuniking Guest

    SWEETNESS! might fit the plastics and my 661's and learn sometime one on
    my freestyle to do list
    Ben

    --
    thinuniking - U don't be playing me cracker!

    I am heman with out the muscles or a cool sword
    thinuniking's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4294

  4. muniracer

    muniracer Guest

    i think the best tip anyone can give is to remember that if your feet
    land on the cranks, you will still land it. therefore, dont aim for the
    pedals, but just throw your feet out, spin the uni, then throw your feet
    in all the way against the wheel. once you get used to that you can
    start aiming for the pedals more and getting a smoother landing.

    --
    muniracer - Hell On Wheel

    The Hell on Wheel Unicycle Gang owns you!!

    http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuq25
    muniracer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4339

  5. zach_jucha

    zach_jucha Guest

    I've been witness to three -first unispins-: Jess Riegel, Sara Chastain,
    and Mike Middleton. I just told them they should "stick it".

    In other news, I was out practicing yesterday, and I was trying to land
    a 360 unispin, and I realized I had the spin/jump down enough to do a
    540 unispin even though I didn't land it and I got close to doing a 540
    suicide mount too.... I've still only landed a 360 unispin once though.
    I guess I should "stick it" more.

    --
    zach_jucha - Smilemaker

    -Don't ask me why I said it, because I already forgot.-

    - Homestar

    -I think I see way more penises then I should.-

    - Dan Heaton

    -God didn't give him brains but he sure gave him talent.-

    - Kris Holm's friend Chris as Kris did a huge drop
    zach_jucha's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4072

  6. nickvb123

    nickvb123 Guest

    > i think the best tip anyone can give is to remember that if your feet
    > land on the cranks, you will still land it. therefore, dont aim for
    > the pedals, but just throw your feet out, spin the uni, then throw
    > your feet in all the way against the wheel

    This is the best advice in my opinion. I just kept in mind that i had to
    stick my feet back in and i landed one within half an hour.

    --
    nickvb123 - Freestyler

    I think i'm going to kill the next person who mentions the word circus.
    nickvb123's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5926

  7. nickvb123

    nickvb123 Guest

  8. nickvb123 wrote:
    > *Oh yeah, wear shin pads as well.
    >
    > save unneccesary pain. *

    what, and miss out on all those battle scars!?!

    --
    Mistercookieface87 - Lv. 4

    shoots a gun at the feet the world dances.
    Mistercookieface87's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2871

  9. pete66

    pete66 Guest

    Well I nailed my first ever pedalgrab to rubber yesterday :cool: but
    I'd really like to get a unispin. I can't seem to get very close, I need
    tips on the ideal unispin seat height (I usually have my seat very low)
    and should I take pedal pins out?

    I've just taken half my pedal pins out but I'm not too sure if this is a
    great idea for getting the hang of unispins because the pedals seem to
    be weighted in such a way now that they always try to point themselves
    straight at the ground.

    I struggle quite a lot with just jumping off the uni and kicking my legs
    out and getting them back on the pedals (without spinning the uni),
    reckon I should get better at that first? I'm pretty solid at doin 180
    seat out jump mounts though.

    cheers
    Pete

    --
    pete66 - Level 4 Unicyclist
    pete66's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4812

  10. Hey its really weird and I look all awkward when I unispin this way,
    but:

    I have only gotten a 180 unispin like 5 times...but most of those times
    that I got it I used my own little special method. Here it is:

    Hold the seat (whichever way is easier and more comfortable) and start
    hopping seat out in front, tilting/turning the seat about 20 degrees in
    the direction that your about to spin it. This way, I only have to spin
    it 160 degrees. It just gives me the "head start" that I need to begin
    to unispin the "right" way. I also only practice on grass and with most
    of my armour on.

    Good luck everyone! And, just to let you know, it is the greatest
    feeling of satisfaction and contentment when you get your first
    unispin!!!

    L8er,

    --
    unipsychogirl

    ~Sara C.

    "I CAN JUMP OVER YOUR HONOR STUDENT ON MY UNICYCLE!!!" -me to old lady
    at festival

    "I BET YOU CAN!" -old lady, without a clue as to what a "unicycle" is

    ([email protected]) (A.I.M. S.N: "unipsychogirl" but mostly on
    as "violpunk") )--O

    My lame claim to the sorta-hall-of-fame (I'm in shame):
    http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/unicon11/results/IUF02_Juggling.html
    unipsychogirl's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4356

  11. shadowuni

    shadowuni Guest

    ive been doing unispins for a while, and i found out that when i do it,
    i compressthe tire a little, but use my hand to make the unicycle not
    follow me all the way. therefore, the unicycle leaves the ground, but
    does not stick to me. then after some moving of legs, you can spin it,
    hop on wheel, or whatever. i have a video of me doing a unispin if
    anyone wants me to send it to them. its not the right format for replies
    or something, but instant message me at [email protected] or reply to
    this thread and say that you want it, and ill gladly give it out. -Nick

    --
    shadowuni - Level 6.5 Unicyclist

    "No one is taller than the last man standing"
    "unless I'm catastrophically off-balance, in which I'll have to hop to
    stay up." - gerblefranklin
    "I like learning new mounts, they hide the fact that you previously just
    screwed up when you were showing off" - Special_liz
    shadowuni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4806

  12. doofe

    doofe Guest

    I stepped myself up to it. I have a background in BMX, and the
    no-footers really helped me with the ieda of foot placement. when you
    are on the uni, I assume you would want to land seat out. so, first,
    just practice jumping and taking your feet off the pedals, and putting
    them back on. once you get the hang of that, then you should have at
    least a vauge idea of how to do one. then, do the unispin. jump up,
    throw your feet out far enough to clear the wheel. typically about 3
    feet apart. then, when your feet are at that distance, not sooner, spin
    the uni. then, catch it when it spins around as far as you wanted it to,
    and land your feet back on the pedals (or cranks, as muniracer put it).
    practice that for awhile, and I gurantee you will stick it. it took me
    about 10 minutes to stick it consistently.

    --
    doofe - Skilled unicyclist

    FOR THE LAST TIME!!!! YES, I CAN RIDE THAT THING!!!!!
    doofe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4335

  13. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

    I am once again booting a DEAD THREAD up to the top, because I need help
    and don't feel like making a new post.

    zach_jucha wrote:
    > *I've been witness to three -first unispins-: Jess Riegel, Sara
    > Chastain, and Mike Middleton. I just told them they should "stick
    > it".*

    I figured out that my problem is also that I need to stick it. Every
    time I successfully do a unispin, landing with both feet on the pedals,
    I just lose balance and fall. Now my wrist hurts, because I'm stupid and
    am practicing it over cement.
    Do you have any tips on how to "stick it"? Or just to not fall over
    after you get the feet back on the pedals....

    --
    James_Potter - Rettop_Semaj

    -If there was an eleventh commandment, it is to be "thou shalt dip thy
    pizza, for it is, wicked."-
    --Thedan

  14. I try to lean over the uni a little more than when just holding the seat
    out front, bend the knees and elbows slightly before take off. When I
    jump I try to only lift my legs up and not my whole body and keep my
    head at the same height throughout the move.
    Try and lift your legs up fairly quickly, but more importantly I feel,
    smoothly. Apply pressure to the seat for the actual spin just before
    take off so there is a small a delay as possible between the legs being
    clear and you beginning to spin the unicycle.

    Practice spinning the unicycle too without the hop just getting it as
    fluid as possible and minimizing any unnecessary movements, trying to
    find the best pivot point and spinning it quickly and efficiently.

    I found that spinning the unicycle with the tyre still making contact
    with the ground would often put my cranks out of place for landing, so
    I'd just stomp the unicycle down a tiny bit through the pedals and have
    the tyre bounce itself slightly off the ground so the cranks didn't move
    when it span. I still do this on my trials uni sometimes as it gives me
    a tiny bit more time in the air to spin the heavier unicycle and it also
    makes unispins easier if I'm not in the perfect position before trying
    to do it. Gives more time to aim for the pedals too.

    Try and phase this out to the point where only the minimum amount of
    weight is taken off the tyre so it is still touching the ground
    lightly.

    And as Muniracer said, landing on the cranks is cool, as hitting the
    pedals comes with practice. You'll bounce around loads afterwards at
    first but they get smoother and smoother.

    --
    one wheeled stallion - Guerilla Unicyclist

    OWS

    "...there's nothing I can't manage if I grunt loudly enough" -Mikefule
    one wheeled stallion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4832

  15. one wheeled stallion wrote:
    > *I found that spinning the unicycle with the tyre still making contact
    > with the ground would often put my cranks out of place for landing, so
    > I'd just stomp the unicycle down a tiny bit through the pedals and
    > have the tyre bounce itself slightly off the ground so the cranks
    > didn't move when it span. *

    "SPAN"

    damn I hate that word!!

    --
    unipsychogirl

    ~Sara C.

    "I CAN JUMP OVER YOUR HONOR STUDENT ON MY UNICYCLE!!!" -me to old lady
    at festival

    "I BET YOU CAN!" -old lady, without a clue as to what a "unicycle" is

    ([email protected]) (A.I.M. S.N: "unipsychogirl" but mostly on
    as "violpunk") )--O

    My lame claim to the sorta-hall-of-fame (I'm in shame):
    http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/unicon11/results/IUF02_Juggling.html
    unipsychogirl's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4356

  16. > "SPAN"

    Horrible isn't it? I thought that as I typed it! I shall refrain from
    using where possible.

    --
    one wheeled stallion - Guerilla Unicyclist

    OWS

    "...there's nothing I can't manage if I grunt loudly enough" -Mikefule
    one wheeled stallion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4832

  17. thinuniking

    thinuniking Guest