Unicon freestyle question

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by Lucas1wheel, Apr 13, 2006.

  1. Lucas1wheel

    Lucas1wheel Guest

    I am going to unicon this year and am planning to enter age group
    freestyle, but I cannot find any videos from previous unicons only the
    expert category,
    any one no of any or could give me bit of info

    cheers Lucas

    --
    Lucas1wheel
    Lucas1wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11476

  2. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    The experts generally set the best example of what a Freestyle
    performance should look like. Your best bet is to keep watching them. I
    have some Freestyle clips at the link below, but they are mostly
    expert:
    http://www.unicycling.com/naucc/

    --
    johnfoss

    John Foss

    "The worst thing you can do on a unicycle when you land is stop dead."
    -- Kris Holm, world's expert on high-consequence unicycling

  3. swarbrim

    swarbrim Guest

    Sorry to thread jack Lucas but John, I cant send you a PM not sure why?
    Any way in your signature line it has your website and #3 is not true.
    Some people have landed this including Sabin Arditty. Just thought I
    would give you a heads up ;)

    '#3: Coasting with no feet on the frame
    Ask anyone including this rider, Sem Abrahams, and they will tell you
    that this simply will not work. In case you're wondering how Sem did it
    here, remember that the camera lies. Let's just say it was a "brief"
    demonstration. This picture was taken at Sem's Unicycle Sportclub in
    1983. (OOW Spring 1992 -- UNICYCLING 6/2)'

    --
    swarbrim

    :D add me at [email protected]

    'i like things big' Amanda
    swarbrim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11005

  4. unijesse

    unijesse Guest

  5. swarbrim

    swarbrim Guest

  6. unijesse

    unijesse Guest

  7. swarbrim

    swarbrim Guest

  8. Back on topic... Lucas - I will try to bring some videos to BUC and get
    someone to show them. Also, if you watch the Expert routines, just
    reduce the number & variety of skills and you'll have a rough idea. Age
    group can be real hit or miss for the quality of the routine. Some age
    group routines are expert-class while some look as if the rider has put
    no thought into the routine and never practiced it.

    If you have your routine ready for competition at BUC, I'd be happy to
    spend some time with you to polish your routine.

    Connie

    --
    constance.cotter
    constance.cotter's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9039

  9. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    swarbrim wrote:
    > John, I cant send you a PM not sure why?

    PMs are an optional feature, which I don't use. Call me old. My email
    address is at the bottom of every post.

    > #3 is not true. Some people have landed this including Sabin Arditty.

    "Landing" a coasting trick means you fell off, right? :) I don't
    think I've ever seen sustained no-feet coasting that was done on
    purpose. Two revolutions? Sounds pretty cool! Can he do it twice in a
    row?

    One of the reasons for that item
    (http://www.unicycling.com/things/index.htm#3) was to counter an
    illustration in the old Complete Book Of Unicycling by Jack Wiley
    (1984). In there he had a computer-drawn illustration of someone
    coasting, which he had never seen. So he assumed you would have both
    feet extended forward, as you would in extended one-footing. But that
    wasn't really the way to do it.

    --
    johnfoss

    John Foss

    "The worst thing you can do on a unicycle when you land is stop dead."
    -- Kris Holm, world's expert on high-consequence unicycling

  10. Lucas1wheel

    Lucas1wheel Guest

    Sounds great conie i have the first 2 mins learnt off by hear but im
    finding it really physically demanding cardi vascularly, and this i
    found strange because my fitness is above average so I think I may have
    to tweek my routine but we will see.

    Cheers Lucas

    --
    Lucas1wheel
    Lucas1wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11476

  11. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    Lucas1wheel wrote:
    > Sounds great conie i have the first 2 mins learnt off by hear but im
    > finding it really physically demanding cardi vascularly, and this i
    > found strange because my fitness is above average so I think I may have
    > to tweek my routine but we will see.

    Freestyle is *very* demanding on the cardio! Back when I was doing it
    competitively, I could only practice my routines (3 mins) back-to-back
    when I was in the best of shape. Usually I'd need more of a rest than
    the time it took to rewind the cassette...

    But tweaking your routine is the *right* way to go to ensure it works.
    Don't bite off more than you can chew. If you can hardly ever get
    through it in practice, don't expect to do well under the added
    pressure of competition, with a big audience, judges, and unknown
    demands upon your system from the travel and other experiences. It's
    okay to have breaks in the performance. Make sure to leave room for
    applause--if you run all the great stuff together, the audience gets
    caught up and doesn't know when to clap. If you do something really
    good, give us a chance to respond! Build it into the choreography.
    Practice in front of audiences whenever you can.

    --
    johnfoss

    John Foss

    "The worst thing you can do on a unicycle when you land is stop dead."
    -- Kris Holm, world's expert on high-consequence unicycling

  12. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    president_luke wrote:
    > It was Brian Lundgren (uniextreme) that did the no footed coasting in
    > defect, he did it twice in the movie and got about 2 revs in before
    > getting back to the pedals.

    Come to think of it, holding on to the seat gives that second point of
    contact with the cycle that can make that trick repeatable. Without
    holding on, it's much more of a crapshoot. Way to go Brian!

    ...But Sem's no-hands version still rates a place on Things Not To Do.

    --
    johnfoss

    John Foss

    "The worst thing you can do on a unicycle when you land is stop dead."
    -- Kris Holm, world's expert on high-consequence unicycling

  13. swarbrim

    swarbrim Guest

    president_luke wrote:
    > It was Brian Lundgren (uniextreme) that did the no footed coasting in
    > defect, he did it twice in the movie and got about 2 revs in before
    > getting back to the pedals.

    Your right as well, My mistake.

    Mike