Unicycle Carrying Case?

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by ParadoX, Oct 2, 2004.

  1. ParadoX

    ParadoX Guest

    Its not exactly a carrying case, but is there anything you could make
    that would strap onto your back or something? Just a quick thought.

    -ParadoX
    [image: C:\Documents and Settings\AdminParadoX\Desktop\untitled.bmp]

    --
    ParadoX - Unicycling Newbie/Computer Expert

    -"There is nothing to fear but fear its self."
    ParadoX's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8015

  2. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

    In Kris Holm's Into the Thunder Dragon (or maybe Unizaba), he and Nathan
    Hoover strap unicycles to their backpack. I'm not sure, but I think that
    they used those backpacks that can carry snowboards/skateboards.

    --
    James_Potter - Nil Desperandum

  3. unidaddy

    unidaddy Guest

    I'd like to hear about any hard-shell cases that would fit a uni for
    transport on a plane. I have a full sized hybrid bike that has S & S
    couplings and it fits in a bag that's within the legal size restrictions
    on all airlines. Is there such a thing for a uni? I can't imagine that
    it would be possible for a Coker.....I have to flatten my bike tires to
    get it into the case that I have. Still, I think it would be even more
    fun to travel with a uni than a bike.

    --
    unidaddy - waiting for the first face plant
    unidaddy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7879

  4. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    unidaddy wrote:
    > *I'd like to hear about any hard-shell cases that would fit a uni for
    > transport on a plane. I have a full sized hybrid bike that has S & S
    > couplings and it fits in a bag that's within the legal size
    > restrictions on all airlines. Is there such a thing for a uni? I
    > can't imagine that it would be possible for a Coker.....I have to
    > flatten my bike tires to get it into the case that I have. Still, I
    > think it would be even more fun to travel with a uni than a bike. *

    I have used a hard shell wheel case by Tri All 3 Sports. It's a case
    designed to hold two road or MTB wheels. It is sized to fit within the
    maximum size limits for airline luggage. I think it's 26.5" x 26.5" x
    10". It's right at the max size for standard luggage which is something
    like 63 or 64 linear inches (L+W+H). I have to deflate the tire on my
    muni to get it to fit in the case. It will fit a 24x3 or a 26x3 muni.

    The case I have is a 'Tri All 3 Sports Clam Shell Wheel Safe'
    (http://tinyurl.com/6x6lr).

    It's made by 'TriAll3Sports.com' (http://www.triall3sports.com) but that
    web site isn't working now. That might be just a temporary problem or
    the company may be out of business or changed names. I don't know.

    The case works, but it's overkill for traveling with a uni. The case by
    itself weighs almost 15 pounds empty. Pack a muni in there along with a
    few tools and you very quickly get up to about 50 pounds. It's very
    easy to pack more than 50 pounds in that case. 50 pounds is the new max
    weight to avoid the overweight charge. I've packed two unicycles in the
    case (a muni and a trials) but that takes some careful packing so that
    you don't end up damaging the unicycles (breaking spokes) because you
    have to weave the cranks through the spokes of the other uni.

    The airlines have never attempted to charge me extra when traveling with
    that case. I do weigh the case at home to make sure it isn't over the
    50 pound limit. A couple of times I've hit it right at 49 pounds. The
    check in clerks never failed to notice that I was cutting it close. Get
    it over 50 pounds and you'll be paying the overweight fee.

    The case does not have wheels. It's big and inconvenient to carry
    though the airport. I use either a collapsible roller carrier or I rent
    a roller carrier at the airport.

    I've had my case for about 4 years now. The handle has broken (and
    needs to be fixed) and the bottom has started to crack. Both problems
    can be repaired. But the case will take a beating after about a dozen
    flights.

    I don't know if the hard shell case is the best way to go. The fact
    that it is a big hard shell case might give the baggage handlers the
    idea that they can throw it around. An oddly shaped soft case might get
    better treatment.

    I have mentioned the wheel case before. A forum search on "tri all 3
    sports" will find a couple of threads where it's mentioned.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  5. tadaniels

    tadaniels Guest

  6. reidj

    reidj Guest

    - For anything smaller than a Coker, a really big duffle bag will do
    just fine. Cheap too! One with wheels is best, but not required.
    - There are plenty of threads on this forum about traveling with a
    unicycle. Remember to tell the baggage attendants you have "performance
    equipment" in the bag. You don't want them to think you have a bike or
    half a bike in the bag. John Foss's article in "On One Wheel" is
    great.
    - For a Coker you may have to custom-make something out of tough
    reinforced canvas. Check airline size regulations.

    -Reid

    --
    reidj - Looking for a uni-basketball game
    reidj's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5755

  7. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    john_childs wrote:
    > *It's made by 'TriAll3Sports.com' (http://www.triall3sports.com) but
    > that web site isn't working now. That might be just a temporary
    > problem or the company may be out of business or changed names. I
    > don't know.*

    Ah, the Tri All 3 Sports web site is back up now.

    The advantage with the hard shell case is that you don't have to worry
    about your unicycle getting crushed by other baggage. With a cardboard
    box or a soft style luggage there is the possibility of unicycle getting
    crushed if other luggage is stacked on top or if other heavier luggage
    falls on it. Possible damage could be broken spokes or a dented/bent
    frame. I think John Hooten had a KH muni frame damaged (dented) when it
    was packed in a soft duffel bag or Roach bag.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  8. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    ParadoX wrote:
    > *Its not exactly a carrying case, but is there anything you could make
    > that would strap onto your back or something? Just a quick thought.
    >
    > -ParadoX *

    Nathan and Kris used snowboard packs by 'Arcteryx'
    (http://www.arcteryx.com/) during their expeditions in Unizaba and other
    trips. Do a forum search on "arcteryx" to find threads where Nathan and
    Kris describe the backpacks.

    I'm sure that almost any quality snowboarding backpack would work well
    for strapping a unicycle on the back. Arcteryx packs tend to be
    expensive. There are other brands that are less expensive.

    At the low end you could get a simple knapsack designed to carry a
    skateboard. Similar in style to the snowboard backpacks, but not as
    sturdy or outdoorsy.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  9. Ken Cline

    Ken Cline Guest

    "john_childs" <[email protected]> writes:

    > I think John Hooten had a KH muni frame damaged (dented) when it
    > was packed in a soft duffel bag or Roach bag.

    Yikes! I managed to put a minor dent in my KH frame, but I had to
    run over it with a van. What was the airling doing???

    Ken

  10. Ken Cline

    Ken Cline Guest

    "john_childs" <[email protected]> writes:

    > I think John Hooten had a KH muni frame damaged (dented) when it
    > was packed in a soft duffel bag or Roach bag.

    Yikes! I managed to put a minor dent in my KH frame, but I had to
    run over it with a van. What was the airling doing???

    Ken

  11. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    Ken Cline wrote:
    > *"john_childs" <[email protected]>
    > writes:
    >
    > > I think John Hooten had a KH muni frame damaged (dented) when it
    > > was packed in a soft duffel bag or Roach bag.

    > Yikes! I managed to put a minor dent in my KH frame, but I had to
    > run over it with a van. What was the airling doing???
    >
    > Ken
    > *

    All it would take is a heavy 50 pound or 70 pound hard shell suitcase to
    fall on your unicycle. This could happen during flight when the plane
    experiences turbulence. This could happen at the airport if one of the
    little baggage trucks looses a load as it's driving up to the plane
    (I've seen it happen). There is lots of ways that it could happen.

    I think the biggest risk to the unicycle is having a heavy hard shell
    suitcase falling on your unicycle during flight or during the loading
    and unloading of baggage.

    In John Hooten's case the frame required some major frame repair to get
    it usable again. Fortunately the KH frames are steel and it is possible
    to repair such damage. If it was an aluminum frame the frame would have
    been toast.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  12. GILD

    GILD Guest

    john_childs wrote:
    > *At the low end you could get a simple knapsack designed to carry a
    > skateboard. Similar in style to the snowboard backpacks, but not as
    > sturdy or outdoorsy. *

    another low-end option would be to get hold of an old back pack, the
    kind that had the external frame and use that, sans bag
    u'll just have to get some straps to strap the uni onto the frame

    --
    GILD - Waffle-tosser and Time-bider

    If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me.
    -- Alice 'Roosevelt' (http://tinyurl.com/5ngze) Longworth
    I'm going to memorize your name and throw my head away.
    -- Oscar Levant

    '[image: http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/sp/84255.gif]'
    (http://tinyurl.com/ywxgb)
    Namaste!
    Dave

  13. I've tried that and it does work, but it would probably need a little
    more thought than I put in.

    I found that it needed a piece of plywood or something between the uni
    and your back, or those pedals started to hurt pretty soon. it might be
    possible to put the bag on the frame over the unicycle as well,
    depending on how long the straps are.

    --
    theamazingmolio - A Unicylist, a juggler, and a prat

    Luke Duller ([email protected])
    Never trust anything you read on the internet
    [image:
    http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albums/TheAmazingMolio/rolly.gif]
    '[image: http://www.freewebs.com/obiwan_kenobi62/Randomforums logo.bmp
    ]' (www.randomforums.tk)

    theamazingmolio's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5931

  14. GILD

    GILD Guest

    theamazingmolio wrote:
    > *I found that it needed a piece of plywood or something between the
    > uni and your back, or those pedals started to hurt pretty soon.*

    scroll down to the post about 'clip-off' (http://tinyurl.com/4ee7l)
    pedals

    --
    GILD - Waffle-tosser and Time-bider

    If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me.
    -- Alice 'Roosevelt' (http://tinyurl.com/5ngze) Longworth
    I'm going to memorize your name and throw my head away.
    -- Oscar Levant

    '[image: http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/sp/84255.gif]'
    (http://tinyurl.com/ywxgb)
    Namaste!
    Dave

  15. they look quite good, though you'd still had the crank digging into your
    back, and if you took that off, it would be the hub.

    And from a personal point of view, thos pedals qould be worth several
    times more than any of the unis I own...