Unicycle English Courework

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by treepotato, Mar 30, 2006.

  1. treepotato

    treepotato Guest

    what do you reckon? it's the most fun essay i've ever written! (and
    essays are never fun!)

    English Language Coursework Piece 2 LIZ 12LW

    HAVE YOU SWUM IN THE WHEEL WORLD?

    Every four months for the past three years I have and it has helped me
    improve my skills immensely and develop new ones and meet lots of new
    and exciting people.
    Just to ensure that you are not stomping off down the path of swimming
    I had better direct you otherwise. If you were member of the ‘UUU’ then
    it is highly likely that at some point you have SWUM; I’m guessing by
    now that you are suitably bemused by these strange words that appear on
    the page before you, so I had better educate you a little on the
    subject. ‘SWUM’ is in fact absolutely nothing to do with the sport of
    swimming, it is in fact related to the very different and far more
    exhilarating, exciting, sport of unicycling. ‘SWUM’ stands for South
    West Uni Meet.
    ‘UUU’ stands for the UK Union of Unicyclists who organizes events such
    as SWUMs and sends out a twice-yearly newsletter to its members and
    offers a 10% discount off certain products on unicycle.com (the number
    one resource for unicycles/accessories and juggling equipment).
    Let me tell you a little more about SWUMs; they are held at various
    venues in sports halls, (past hosts of the event have been Exeter and
    most recently, Ashburton) every SWUM has the same structure, but each
    is very different, with different people (as well as the regulars) and
    many new, exciting tricks on display. The general recipe for a SWUM is
    a mixture of games, workshops, competitions and levels testing, as well
    as free space and time to practice, there is also a section at one end
    of the hall for jugglers and people to practice other circus skills.
    Each SWUM begins with a warm up led by one of the more advanced riders,
    which involves riding round in a circle then at the command of the
    leader, performing tricks and skills; if you are unable to perform any
    of the feats then you just carry on doing the last one you could. After
    the warm up the room is spilt into sections with space to practice and
    a number of workshops right from beginner to expert, each led by an
    experienced unicyclist who teaches new skills. After the workshops it’s
    game time, for those who choose it. Teams are picked for unicycle
    basketball and unicycle hockey, (personally I much prefer unicycle
    hockey as it is a much more fast and exhilarating game than
    basketball). Other games played (with prizes) include, musical
    unicycles (a unicycle rendition of musical chairs replacing the chairs
    for unicycles), stuck-in-the-mud (on unicycles), slow races (the
    slowest unicyclist wins, but there are very strict rules) and last but
    not least, probably the most dangerous game played on one wheel,
    ‘gladiators’. To play gladiators everyone goes to the sides of the room
    against the walls then the referee shouts “1,2,3, GLADIATORS!” and
    everyone charges into the middle and tries to get as many people off
    their unicycles and on the floor as possible, using various methods of
    attack such as; riding behind someone, grabbing the back of their seat
    and yanking it out from underneath them (this is one of the most
    effective methods unless you try it on one of the expert riders who
    just laugh and carry on riding with the seat post dragging along the
    floor behind them). Other modes of attack include the basic ‘shove’ or
    the more violent (but exceedingly fun) option of grabbing onto some and
    swinging them round until they (hopefully) go flying off, however this
    method can turn against you and result in suicide. After the games is a
    little cool down period, followed by the announcement of UUU levels
    testing, open to anyone who wants to give them a go. The UUU (UK Union
    of Unicyclists) levels range from 1 to 10, with only 1 maybe 2 level
    tens in the world, the world champion himself, Kris Holm and renowned
    trials champion, Zack. Level 1 is very simple and requires only for you
    to mount the unicycle unassisted, ride 50 metres and then dismount
    gracefully. Level 2 is much harder and after that the difficulty of the
    levels increases very rapidly. The levels are not at all compulsory and
    are just there for a bit of fun, with certificates at the end and the
    option to try again at the next SWUM if you mess up the first time.
    The brilliant thing about going to a SWUM is the wonderfully wide
    variety of ages and skill levels, right from little 5 year olds on tiny
    unicycles with L plates on, to 20, 30 or even 50 year olds who’ve been
    unicycling for years and certainly have the skills to prove it. However
    there are young unicyclists who are experts and older unicyclists who
    are just beginning; no one is ever made to feel left out and there is
    always someone ready and willing to lend a hand, be it to teach someone
    how to ride a unicycle or share tips on a challenging skill. As well as
    a diverse range of people at SWUMs there is also an equally ample array
    of unicycles; from freestyle (standard) to muni (mountain unicycles) to
    trials (durable unicycles with wide bouncy tyres for jumping off and on
    obstacles) to giraffes (tall unicycles used by performers with a chain
    to drive the unicycle from the pedals half way up the seat post to the
    wheel) and ultimate wheels (no seat or seat post just a wheel and
    pedals) and even impossible wheels (a tyre with a platform which swings
    either side, to ride this you set it rolling then run after and jump on
    with a foot on each platform). As well as this massive mixture of
    unicycle types there are also the latest weird and wonderful inventions
    from unicycle.com such as, unicycles with brakes (cheating if you ask
    me!) and giraffes with two or three wheels on top of one another of
    which the two wheeled variety is ridden by pedalling backwards to ride
    forwards), and any other strange and fascinating contraptions cooked up
    by the unicycle.com team.
    So now that you’re a little more educated on the ‘wheel world’ you can
    impress people with your new found knowledge of ‘SWUMs’ and the ‘UUU’
    and perhaps now you’ll think a little more when you see someone riding
    a unicycle and realise that there is far more to unicycling than meets
    the eye, there’s a whole world out there, which in my opinion and the
    opinion of many other fellow one-wheeled riders, is the wheel world…

    --
    treepotato

    Some unicycles can give nasty pedal bites.....i still have the scars to
    prove it
    treepotato's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3942

  2. treepotato

    treepotato Guest

  3. In that case you need to change 'spilt' to 'split' in the 8th line of
    the 3rd paragraph, get rid of the comma 3 lines down from that, and add
    a '(' to the ')' in the 5th line from the bottom. Otherwise 'Miss
    Ayelery' (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/member.php?u=10854/) will be
    after you:p

    --
    domesticated ape

    i like bananas, monkey nuts and grapes
    domesticated ape's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8599

  4. sarah.miller

    sarah.miller Guest

    TreeP
    Can I use edited high lights of your esssay on the SWUM web page as an
    introduction to the event for people who havn't been to one before?

    Are you doing Eng Lang or the combined Lit/Lang Course? I did the
    combined one a long time ago.
    Sarah

    --
    sarah.miller

    South West Unicycle Meet
    www.uk.unicyclist.com/swum.html
    sarah.miller's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1694

  5. jsm

    jsm Guest

    Where did you get your information about who the level ten riders are?
    There are nine people who have passed level ten, and neither Kris Holm
    nor Zack Baldwin is a level ten rider. If I remember correctly, the
    people who have passed level ten are Dana Schneider, Ryan Wood, Ashley
    Wood, Spencer Johnson, Irene Genelin, Ryan Woessner, Amy Shields,
    Christian Hoverath, and Jamey Mossengren.

    When I took English 101, I did a five page essay explaining the
    different varieties of unicycling. I didn't enjoy writing it much more
    than I did the other essays in the course, though.

    --
    jsm

    Help edit the Unicyclopedia!
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia

    "wish i could be in a signature...*sigh*" -chosen
    jsm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6911

  6. treepotato

    treepotato Guest

    sorry about that i have to admit i was doing on a computer without
    internet and ending up guessin gwho the level ten riders were...so
    apoligies for that i shall correct it before i hand it in, thankyou

    --
    treepotato

    Some unicycles can give nasty pedal bites.....i still have the scars to
    prove it
    treepotato's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3942

  7. treepotato

    treepotato Guest

    sarah.miller wrote:
    > TreeP
    > Can I use edited high lights of your esssay on the SWUM web page as an
    > introduction to the event for people who havn't been to one before?
    >
    > Are you doing Eng Lang or the combined Lit/Lang Course? I did the
    > combined one a long time ago.
    > Sarah

    i don't mind at all, in fact i'm very touched you asked, thankyou
    :cool:

    i'm doing english language and english literature as two separate AS
    levels