unicycle shocks

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by xeaza, Aug 1, 2005.

  1. xeaza

    xeaza Guest

    Tags:

  2. litldude2

    litldude2 Guest

    Its -possible- but there would be no purpose. When you do drops and
    stuff you stand up so if there were shocks in the frame it wouldnt make
    much difference.

    --
    litldude2 - Spencer

    Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer
    ________________
    LitlDude2: you suck
    Byrnetown: yea
    ________________
    beware of the evan!

  3. DarkTom

    DarkTom Guest

    You could perhaps wire a big battery to it and maybe get a shock.

    T.

    --
    DarkTom - presenting "The Squidgeon"

    The doc says my collar-bone has healed ok but it still hurts when I do
    trials.

    -\"just eat less pies, and then the loads on your seatpost will be
    less.\" - johnhimsworth

    \"i am a girl\" - amanda.gallacher
    -
    DarkTom's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6515

  4. vanman2004

    vanman2004 Guest

    People have certainly put suspension seatposts on munis, which helps a
    little. But the idea is to absorb shocks with your knees anyway, so this
    doesn't help much with big impacts.

    I'll bet it helps a lot with bumpiness, though.

    --
    vanman2004 - ...
    vanman2004's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9184

  5. Mikefule

    Mikefule Guest

    Amazing! I must try to devise a technical question that doesn't get a
    reference to "drops" within 3 posts.:rolleyes:

    An important difference between a conventional unicycle and a
    conventional bicycle is that any suspension movement on a unicycle will
    alter the distance between the pedals and the seat.

    As your legs are part of the "engine" of the unicycle, you need your
    seat to be at the right height relative to the pedals, and at a constant
    height!

    On a bicycle, the more complex frame (designed to carry the training
    wheel) allows suspension movement whilst the pedals and seat stay in the
    same positions relative to each other.

    Another problem with suspension on a unicycle would be the pogo stick
    effect. Unless the damping rate was exactly right, you'd hit a bump and
    a moment later you'd be fired skywards: newsworthy, but not efficient.

    On th eflat, you need to put your weight on the seat and pedal smoothly.
    On the rough, you should raise your weight above the seat, and rely on
    the natural springiness of your legs to act as suspension. Your body
    probably weighs 10 or more times as much as the unicycle.

    With skill and timing, a lot can be achieved. I saw a street performer
    the other day jump high and land barefoot on a bed of nails. As soon as
    his feet hit the nails, his legs decelerated his weight at a constant
    low rate, so that his feet were never pierced.

    (He probably practised with one really big nail, then worked his way up
    to doing a whole bed.)

    --
    Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

    And if you're really worried about looking stupid, you're already on a
    unicycle

    davis_e74 talking about helmets.

  6. lancerfan119

    lancerfan119 Guest

  7. harper

    harper Guest

    Mikefule wrote:
    > *Amazing! I must try to devise a technical question that doesn't get
    > a reference to "drops" within 3 posts.*

    I will hereafter respond to each of your technical questions with "drop
    it" immediately.

    --
    harper - TANKED at GASWORKS

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    "Never ride backwards up a rocky mountain road because the things that
    will trip you if you see them will also trip you if you don't. " -
    munipsycho