unicycle versus car on the pavement

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by cathwood, May 11, 2006.

  1. cathwood

    cathwood Guest

    (This is blatent research proposal avoidance but I just can't motivate
    myself to do any work so:)

    I was cycling along the pavements of Prestatyn today as I am most days
    and I came across one of my regular annoyances - cars parked on the
    pavement, so that there is only a tiny space for me to ride through.
    And I wondered should I lose concentration, have a bit wobble or UPD
    and scratch the car, who would be to blame?

    On the one hand I shouldn't be on the pavement. Except that sometimes I
    should, the cycle paths are often along the pavement here and there is
    a little cycle painted on them, just so we know.

    Whereas the car should never be parked on the pavement.

    Maybe Mikefule knows, or anybody???

    Thanks.

    Cathy

    --
    cathwood

    Say no to unicycle genre discrimination! - MrBoogiejuice

    http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

  2. ntappin

    ntappin Guest

  3. cathwood

    cathwood Guest

    ntappin wrote:
    > O man are the americans ever going to have a hard time with this one.
    >
    > I doubt it would be huge deal but It is still a good idea to avoid
    > conflicts.

    I'm sorry but I'm unaware of the depth of my ignorance and am not sure
    what 'the americans' will have a hard time with. Perhaps they could
    avoid reading it or someone who speaks both languages could interpret.

    I'm not sure whether your comment about avoiding conflicts refers to my
    ignorance of American English or my pavement dilemma. On the
    supposition that it refers to my pavement dilemma I must say that I
    would never scratch cars on purpose but I always worry a little as I
    pass them. Or perhaps by 'avoiding conflicts' you mean that I should
    run away/pretend I hadn't done anything. That would probably be my
    preferred option anyway.

    Cathy

    --
    cathwood

    Say no to unicycle genre discrimination! - MrBoogiejuice

    http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

  4. harper

    harper Guest

    cathwood wrote:
    > I'm sorry but I'm unaware of the depth of my ignorance and am not sure
    > what 'the americans' will have a hard time with.

    Americans will have a hard time translating from pavement to sidewalk.

    --
    harper

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    This is still my nth post....*AWESOME!!!*

    ><>FISHING FOR A UNICYCLE<><

  5. brian.slater

    brian.slater Guest

    forrestunifreak wrote:
    > But why would cars park on the sidewalk?

    Obviously, you've never been to Boston - they DRIVE on the sidewalks
    there.

    --
    brian.slater

    Brian C. Slater
    AKA: Snoopy

    Ok, I am now officially in my normal state of -advanced- confusion.
    Don't try to confuse me, it won't make any difference. If you try not
    to confuse me, that will confuse me.

    "To not decide is to decide" - undecided
    brian.slater's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3902

  6. phlegm

    phlegm Guest

  7. unicycleboy

    unicycleboy Guest

    Lol in england our streets are smaller so some streets have no drives to
    park there cars so have to park on the sides or roads of pavements...
    I dont think they can do anything, its a pedestrain access and and so
    nothing should be allowed to block it.

    --
    unicycleboy

    www.unicycleboy.unicyclist.com

    MMMM the Bishop

    http://tinyurl.com/afror
    unicycleboy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/399

  8. ntappin

    ntappin Guest

    cathwood wrote:
    > I'm sorry but I'm unaware of the depth of my ignorance and am not sure
    > what 'the americans' will have a hard time with. Perhaps they could
    > avoid reading it or someone who speaks both languages could interpret.
    >
    > I'm not sure whether your comment about avoiding conflicts refers to my
    > ignorance of American English or my pavement dilemma. On the
    > supposition that it refers to my pavement dilemma I must say that I
    > would never scratch cars on purpose but I always worry a little as I
    > pass them. Or perhaps by 'avoiding conflicts' you mean that I should
    > run away/pretend I hadn't done anything. That would probably be my
    > preferred option anyway.
    >
    > Cathy

    sorry I should have been more specific, about my second comment which
    was directed towards the question at hand, in fact that was a really
    badly written post before. In fact it is so bad that I cannot figure
    out what I meant by it.

    I agree though that it can be annoying when cars are parked in your
    way. Normaly I don't have a problem with cars though its mostly old
    folks who walk in groups because they walk slowly with no aim and in
    packs that take up the whole sidewalk and don't let you through.

    --
    ntappin

  9. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

  10. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    American point of view:

    Based on the common-sense concepts of road use, the ones we wish more
    people would start with, probably rule #1 of the road (or pavement) is
    that your job is not to hit anything. That includes things that aren't
    supposed to be there.

    Apply the same concept to a jaywalking pedestrian who blocks your way
    when you're in a car. If you "dent" the person it would be bad.

    If your underlying question is whether you should have to be
    responsible if you scratch one of those cars, I'm still going to have
    to say yes. Should the car get a ticket/citation? Of course. Good luck
    with that...

    --
    johnfoss

    John Foss

    "The worst thing you can do on a unicycle when you land is stop dead."
    -- Kris Holm, world's expert on high-consequence unicycling

  11. Mikefule

    Mikefule Guest

    cathwood wrote:

    > Maybe Mikefule knows, or anybody???

    :eek:

    Too kind.

    The legal situation is very simple. The car shouldn't be there, but it
    is there. You don't have to ride past it on a unicycle. If you
    scratched it then you would be held legally liable for the damage. No
    doubt at all.

    However, it is for the car owner or his/her insurers to identify you
    and prove (in court if necessary) that you were the liable person. It
    is a civil matter, not a criminal one.

    Your household insurance (Contents) would normally provide third party
    liability cover for you, so you wouldn't have to pay out of your own
    pocket.

    There are some very very very rare occasions when the person causing
    the damage might be able to blame the person causing the obstruction.
    You'd have to show it was necessary for you to get past in that way -
    for example, a mother pushing a pram along a narrow pavement next to a
    very busy road - and that you'd taken all reasonable precautions.
    Riding a unicycle is not taking reasonable precautions!

    The car may be illegally parked. That is a police matter, and has no
    direct bearing on the issue of liability for the damage.

    --
    Mikefule

    "The Sun is actually a GOD, bearing wonderful gifts."
    Billy The Mountain

  12. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    Put some 'Pedal Protectors' (http://www.pedalx.com/) on your pedals and
    you won't have to worry so much about accidentally scratching cars with
    the pedals.

    --
    john_childs

    john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
    Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
    'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
    'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3)

  13. john_childs wrote:
    > Put some 'Pedal Protectors' (http://www.pedalx.com/) on your pedals and
    > you won't have to worry so much about accidentally scratching cars with
    > the pedals.

    omg! those are ridiculaas....isnt that right Klaas?

    --
    forget_your_life

    'FOR SALE: 24\\" GB4 Large Marge frame.' (http://tinyurl.com/pggyx)

    dream one dream many....
    *'R.I.P' (http://tinyurl.com/vr86)*
    forget_your_life's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4558

  14. one wheely

    one wheely Guest

    > Americans will have a hard time translating from pavement to sidewalk

    how about we also translate it to 'footpath' as it is known here

    yep pedal protectors are stupid.
    its hard to explain but...if you ride close to something then the
    PedalProtectos might hit it when the pedal could have missed if they
    weren't on.

    --
    one wheely

    Why stroll...when you can roll
    one wheely's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11955

  15. funny I have that very same problem when riding to work.
    at two precise places there are cars parked on the pavement:
    - one is in front of a café, drivers just go and sip a beer and park
    their car anywhere ... though I am sympathetic with their plight, I try
    to pass with my unicycle (no damage yet)
    - the other is in front of small knitting enterprise (I live in
    "knitting valley" south of Paris) it is in a curve and cars have not
    enough place to park. I ususally dismount but now I'm more able to
    cycle through a narrow gap. If I see a driver I just smile and ask them
    to fold their side-mirror
    just wondering what I could do if I were with a trolley and a child
    .... (keep false scars and stick it to the car?)

    --
    wobbling bear

    One Wheel : bear necessity
    wobbling bear's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3716

  16. plumsie

    plumsie Guest

    Would the situation be different if they were obstructing a cycle path?

    I ride to work most mornings on my uni and most mornings there are cars
    parked half on the pavement, right across the cycle path which is on
    the road. Just to top it off there are double yellow lines along this
    particular section of road.

    The road is a one way street with the cycle path running against the
    flow of traffic. I don't want to pull out into the road and be charged
    for going the wrong way down a one way street, I can't ride in the
    cycle lane because of the cars, and the gap is very narrow between the
    vehicles and a wall, if I were to scratch a vehicle would I be liable?

    I have taken reasonable care, I am attempting to ride in a cycle lane,
    they are parked illegally, I can't go past on the road side as that
    would be illegal so I am forced into a small gap, it is not my fault
    that they obstructed my path.

    Where is the line drawn?

    Would they be charged for their offence(s) based on them attempting to
    have me charged or would I have to make an official complaint?

    Their own statement would be able to be used against them but would the
    police bother?

    Plumsie

    --
    plumsie
    plumsie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9800

  17. In article
    <[email protected]t.Unicyclis
    t.com>,
    cathwood <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I was cycling along the pavements of Prestatyn today as I am most days
    > and I came across one of my regular annoyances - cars parked on the
    > pavement, so that there is only a tiny space for me to ride through.
    > And I wondered should I lose concentration, have a bit wobble or UPD
    > and scratch the car, who would be to blame?

    In general, the operator [the one moving, not the one parked] (driver,
    n-cyclist, 'blader etc) is responsible for avoiding hazards and not causing
    property damage. If you can't wobble past a set of cars, whether lawfully
    or unlawfully parked, without scratching them, you should dismount and walk
    around. IOW an other's bad behavior doesn't excuse one's own behavior.
    For a clearer perspective, substitute "badly parked cars" with "small
    children playing" or "feeble pensioner out for a walk".

    Otherwise we devolve arguing shades of "see what you made me do" or
    variations of "gotcha!"

    ..max

  18. andytait

    andytait Guest

    I know someone who regularly damages cars with pushchairs if they are
    blocking the footpath and especially cars that are blocking cycle
    lanes. Apparently it's surprisingly easy to knock wing mirrors off if
    you are on a bike travelling at 10mph plus and you hit them in the
    direction they are not supposed to go. They only spring one way
    usually, hit them the other way and they just fly off. Those ignorant
    drivers who loose their wing mirrors to cyclists will hopefully take
    more notice of cycle lanes in future - my friend says.

    I'm not saying you should do this Cath, you really need to be on a bike
    for full effect, but you might find the car is not parked there next
    time if you do, especially if you do it twice.

    --
    andytait
    andytait's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11766

  19. Mikefule

    Mikefule Guest

    Brave Sir Stupid wrote:

    > Otherwise we devolve arguing shades of "see what you made me do" or
    > variations of "gotcha!"

    TA?