unicycle versus car on the pavement

plumsie wrote:

> I have taken reasonable care, I am attempting to ride in a cycle lane,
> they are parked illegally, I can't go past on the road side as that
> would be illegal so I am forced into a small gap, it is not my fault
> that they obstructed my path.
>
> Where is the line drawn?

Very clearly: if you crash into a stationary object, then the
assumption is that you have been negligent. -Res ipsa loquitur- - the
thing speaks for itself. If you blame the owner of the large
stationary object for you hitting it, or that you were not negligent
for hitting it, then the onus of proof is on you.

I write as someone who has spent 25 years working in insurance claims -
motor and household, public and employer's liability and dealing with
litigation arising from exactly this type of issue.

There are a few cases in Bingham's (the "bible" of RTA liability) where
the court has found in favour of the moving party. They are cases
where the moving party had no other choice, or where the obstructing
vehicle was unlit in the rain on a dark and stormy night, facing the
wrong way, and the driver of the moving vehicle was a heavily pregnant
nun on a mission of mercy to save a sick orphan from imminent death at
the hands of an axe murderer - that sort of thing.

If you damage a stationary vehicle, you are negligent. If you do it
carelessly or recklessly, then consider that perhaps the car's broken
down, or been left there in a genuine emergency, or stolen and
abandoned - and not the owner's fault.

Riding carefully is not "all reasonable precautions" when you could
dismount.

--
Mikefule

"The Sun is actually a GOD, bearing wonderful gifts."
Billy The Mountain

andytait wrote:
> Those ignorant drivers who loose their wing mirrors to cyclists will
> hopefully take more notice of cycle lanes in future - my friend says.

Your friend just enjoys breaking off mirrors. ...And I can understand
that.

But the motorist is not going to change their attitude about things if
they don't know why their mirror is missing. Sure, they should be able
to figure this out, but on the other hand, shouldn't they be able to
figure out a *legal* place to park if they really want to? :)

If you want to educate motorists about parking on cycle lanes,
pavements, etc. a better approach might be to adorn their car with a
sticker to that effect. Something that says "This car was parked where
it blocked pedestrian/cycle traffic, making it dangerous for people to
get past." Be sure to stick it on the painted part of the car; it's too
easy to scrape stickers off windows! :p

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"The worst thing you can do on a unicycle when you land is stop dead."
-- Kris Holm, world's expert on high-consequence unicycling

johnfoss wrote:
> Your friend just enjoys breaking off mirrors. ...And I can understand
> that.

Could be...

If you want to educate motorists about parking on cycle lanes, pavements, etc. a better approach might be to adorn their car with a sticker to that effect. Something that says "This car was parked where it blocked pedestrian/cycle traffic, making it dangerous for people to get past." Be sure to stick it on the painted part of the car; it's too easy to scrape stickers off windows! :p[/QUOTE wrote:

--
andytait
andytait's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11766

johnfoss wrote:
> If you want to educate motorists about parking on cycle lanes,
> pavements, etc. a better approach might be to adorn their car with a
> sticker to that effect. Something that says "This car was parked where
> it blocked pedestrian/cycle traffic, making it dangerous for people to
> get past." Be sure to stick it on the painted part of the car; it's too
> easy to scrape stickers off windows! :p

I have seen several cars with a huge sticker on the wind screen, on the
exact spot so that it's really difficult to see the road when driving.
They where given to "invalid civilians" (people suffering handicap) the
stickers say:
THIS IS A PARKING PLACE RESERVED FOR INVALID PEOPLE!!!
My mate's mother used to be invalidd and she told me that it's really
difficult to take those stickers of the windscreen (it must be sticky
paper).
It's always a pleasure to see those stickers on a wind screen,
especially on a SUV:D. I wish I could get a few ones, just to "educate"
people who park on reserved parking places.

--
Zzagg

Zzagg - Air Circus Team (Nantes)

Living easy, living free...
...Season ticket on a one wheel ride.

JJuggle wrote:
> Zzagg, I'm struggling with your English.

:eek: ;)
Zzagg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6847

johnfoss wrote:
> Be sure to stick it on the painted part of the car; it's too easy to
> scrape stickers off windows! :p

I don't agree: people feeling an attack will vent their anger and not
change their behaviour.
I'd rather leave a card on the windscreen with a very polite text with
an image of a scar on a car and saying something like " I am sorry but
I could not go another way and had to apply extreme measures to avoid
hitting your car, my apologies...."
well probably as ineffective since the width of the sarchasm is
probably beyond the grasp of the faulty person .... but much much
better for one's ego!

--
wobbling bear

One Wheel : bear necessity
wobbling bear's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3716

johnfoss wrote:
> Be sure to stick it on the painted part of the car; it's too easy to
> scrape stickers off windows! :p

I knew that would come back to bite me. Of course, if you're really
going to "reward" motorists with stickers, they should only be applied
to the glass. I too have seen the big nasty stickers on some peoples'
cars, usually on the side glass. I don't know if there are any legal
ramifications to sticking them on the windscreen. Looks like
paper-based stickers are the way to go. Vinyl stikers, though better
for long life, can peel off more easily.

--

one wheely wrote:
> yep pedal protectors are stupid.
> its hard to explain but...if you ride close to something then the
> PedalProtectos might hit it when the pedal could have missed if they
> weren't on.

They aren't stupid and they actually work.

I have them on my muni. They don't get in the way of your foot. You
don't even notice them. The extra width has not caused any additional
occurrences of pedal strikes on objects due to the extra width of the
pedal. When I ride the outside edge of my foot extends over the edge
of the pedal anyways so the extra width of the Pedal Protector is a
non-issue. My foot is more likely to get in the way of an object and
cause a pedal strike than the Pedal Protector is.

The Pedal Protectors work and they'll protect a car from damage caused
by a pedal as you're either riding by or pushing the unicycle by.

My suggestion to get the Pedal Protectors was a serious comment in
response to cathwood's concern about accidentally damaging cars with
the pedals.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com