Unicycling in a cave

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by Klaas Bil, Jan 24, 2006.

  1. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    This weekend, I had a work outing to Limburg, the southmost province of
    the Netherlands and the most hilly one. One of the activities was
    mountainbiking in a man-made cave system. I consulted with the guides
    beforehand and was allowed to bring my unicycle while my collegues were
    on "grotbikes".

    It was a unique experience, but quite tiring since most of the caves
    were so low that I had to crouch all the times. I can still feel it
    when I crouch again. The bikers had their heads lower and were fine
    most of the time.

    This particular cave system is called 'Sibbergroeve'
    (http://www.aspadventure.nl/grotten-programmas.php), and is the longest
    of its kind in the Netherlands, total length is 140 km. It was created
    to obtain the marlstone that these hills consist of, to be used for
    building purposes. It's still used for that, but only for restoration.

    On the picture you see me heading the group (next to the guide) because
    of my lower speed. This is the highest part where I could ride upright
    though.

    |Filename: 149_4944_DCE.JPG |

    Klaas Bil
    Klaas Bil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3442

  2. Zzagg

    Zzagg Guest

    Wow! great Picture!!
    You must have had great fun havent you? Such an experience should be
    reported into the "been there, done that" page;).
    Note to myself: Take the 20'' and lower the saddle for cave riding:p

    --
    Zzagg

    Zzagg - Air Circus Team (Nantes)

    Riding day, dream away...
    Still riding, still dreaming.

    please excuse me for still thinking I can write correct english :-o
    Zzagg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6847

  3. cathwood

    cathwood Guest

    Wow that sounds fantastic. Unicycling in a cave. I'm going to add that
    to the 'things that I want to do on a unicycle oneday' list.

    Cathy

    --
    cathwood

    Disclaimer: Everything I post (unless otherwise stated) is my own
    opinion, based on stuff that I've learned over the years.

    http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

  4. GILD

    GILD Guest

    Oh, very nice Klaas.

    How did the guide react to your initial query?

    --
    GILD

    'three short gs and a long e-flat™'
    (http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/cmp/beethoven_sym5_1.wav) - 'map'
    (http://www.frappr.com/unicycleworld)
    'if i'm murdered, don't execute my killer.'
    (http://www.inthesetimes.com/site/main/article/1539/)
    'harper' (http://tinyurl.com/c9epx)
    'NAMASTE!' (http://tinyurl.com/4qcxw)
    'Dave' (http://www.lyricsdir.com/d/deep-purple/child-in-time.php)

  5. silverfridge

    silverfridge Guest

    Man, how long have u been riding? and what kind of uni, i also love the
    idea of cavew riding, that picture is greater than a cheese grater, can
    u go unicycling under water in ur next thread please?;)

    --
    silverfridge

    GOD SPEED!
    silverfridge's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11533

  6. ntappin

    ntappin Guest

  7. trials_uni

    trials_uni Guest

    hahaha a geared 12''!! that would be amazing...im gonna make one

    --
    trials_uni

    You can't get up and try it again if you don't fall first.
    -Phil
    'Check Out my Newbie Guide' (http://tinyurl.com/99yez) <---new more
    informative post go now! edited today!
    Also Join the 'Unicyclist Roster'
    (http://ecstasy.winternet.com/roster/index.php?) and meet other
    unicyclists in your area!
    Make Your Own 'Juggling Clubs!' (http://www.crazytieguy.com/clubs.htm)

  8. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    It's not very often that overhead height is a problem when cycling
    (except going under fallen trees/branches). In a place like that
    mine/cave, the unicycle could be more disadvantageous than usual. Looks
    like a rare situation where riding with the seat too low would be a
    good thing.

    Cool story!

    --
    johnfoss

    John Foss

    "Idiot America—where fact is merely that which enough people believe,
    and truth is measured only by how fervently they believe it." --
    Charles Pierce, in Esquire Magazine

  9. drewation

    drewation Guest

  10. rvs

    rvs Guest

    Nice ride klaas :)
    How much Km's did you ride in the caves??.
    I heard some rumors that we going to do this on the next "Unicycling in
    the Dutch Mountains 2006".
    Now i kown what unicycle to use the 20".

    --
    rvs
    rvs's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11360

  11. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    GILD wrote:
    > How did the guide react to your initial query?

    I don't know really, the contact was made via the lady who did the
    booking for us. But when I was there I heard that some unicyclists had
    ridden in the cave before, so they may actually not have been overly
    surprised.

    silverfridge wrote:
    > Man, how long have u been riding? and what kind of uni, i also love the
    > idea of cavew riding, that picture is greater than a cheese grater, can
    > u go unicycling under water in ur next thread please?;)

    I've been riding for a bit over 5 years. This was a KH24 (and indeed
    not ideal). I'm often riding underwater in a sense i.e. below sea
    level, see caption of last pic on
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/beest_photos.htm .

    rvs wrote:
    > How much Km's did you ride in the caves??.
    > I heard some rumors that we going to do this on the next "Unicycling in
    > the Dutch Mountains 2006".
    > Now i kown what unicycle to use the 20".

    I think we did about 6 - 8 km. I was in contact with Geert Mestrom and
    indeed they are considering this, that's why they have been trying it
    out a few months ago.

    --
    Klaas Bil
    Klaas Bil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3442

  12. Erant

    Erant Guest

    I wonder why it's so low there. I went to similar mines (Limburg too) ,
    but the ceiling was almost so high as to be obscured in darkness. The
    walls were all scribbled full with signatures and names too. Not sure
    if they were open to biking though. (Or unicycling for that matter).

    --
    Erant

    Live free, prosper, and under my rule.
    Erant's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9986