Unicycling in Hawaii

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by THE dave, Mar 31, 2006.

  1. THE dave

    THE dave Guest

    I was packing my bag for Spring Break in Hawaii with my family when I
    realized that I had room for my unicycle in my bag. I completely
    disassembled my Qu-Ax and somehow managed to fit it into my bag, with
    all of my clothing. I know I can find some street riding to do in the
    Waikiki area, but does anyone know of anywhere else for me to ride? Or
    a specific place that is good for intermediate street riding?

    --
    THE dave

    Toast
    dave

    psychoteledave2(at)hotmail(dot)com
    Team Yams

    - last edited by james_potter on 2005-10-5 at 3:58pm

    last edited by unitik908 on 2005-09-06 at 04:12 am

    last edited by forrestunifreak on 2005-09-09 at 03:51 am-
    THE dave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9259

  2. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

    daino### on these forums live in Hawaii. I don't remember the three
    numbers at the end of his username, but there are three numbers there.
    one time Kris Holm made a short unicycle movie called Hawaii 5-0, in
    which he MUnis in Hawaii, but it was just for some short film festival,
    so he didn't release it. Somewhere on the forums I bet you can find
    the trailer for it though, its really cool.

    --
    James_Potter

    i still believe that all you need is love...john
    lennon
    mikael atkinson
    jonny peacock is my main man.
    mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
    *President of the 'MRIS' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)*

  3. bmemike

    bmemike Guest

    I'm really interested in this thread because I'm planning on moving to
    Oahu in September.

    I'm trying to think about my last visit last June and can't think of
    any "great" freestyle areas. There's a ton of pavement in Waikiki but
    there's A LOT of people and tons of traffic almost always. The
    sidewalks are almost always packed, especially downtown near all the
    hotels.

    Granted half of my trip was trying to find apartments for my friends,
    so I wasn't really looking out for great places to ride.

    --
    bmemike
    bmemike's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11148

  4. THE dave

    THE dave Guest

    yeah, last time i was there i did't find anything that stuck out at me,
    but like you, i wasnt looking for a spot to ride or things to jump off
    of.. im sure i can find some steps and ledges around somewhere, but im
    worried about all of the people, ive never ridden in front of tons of
    people before.. i think most if my riding will be at night though.

    --
    THE dave

    Toast
    dave

    psychoteledave2(at)hotmail(dot)com
    Team Yams

    - last edited by james_potter on 2005-10-5 at 3:58pm

    last edited by unitik908 on 2005-09-06 at 04:12 am

    last edited by forrestunifreak on 2005-09-09 at 03:51 am-
    THE dave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9259

  5. bmemike

    bmemike Guest

    You'll probably want to head down Kalakaua Ave to the South East away
    from the larger resorts as that'll be a bit less populated. The problem
    with Waikiki at night is all the drunk idiots... as is the case with
    any vacation destination, really.

    Back up to the North West you get close to Ala Moana Blvd, which can be
    really busy for traffic - but I seem to recall some parks near the
    Kalakaua / Ala Moana intersection, so that may be some place to at
    least get off the streets and find some stuff to bounce around on.

    There's also a boat yard a bit further down Ala Moana now that I think
    about it. You may be able to find some good curbs and other obsticles
    to have some fun on. That'll be plenty quiet in the evening.

    Edit: it's just to the north west of the Kahanamoku Lagoon. Use
    maps.google.com if you're not sure what I'm talking about. Using the
    hybrid mode is great to spec some stuff out!

    --
    bmemike
    bmemike's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11148

  6. THE dave

    THE dave Guest

    THANKS! Thats awesome advice!

    --
    THE dave

    Toast
    dave

    psychoteledave2(at)hotmail(dot)com
    Team Yams

    - last edited by james_potter on 2005-10-5 at 3:58pm

    last edited by unitik908 on 2005-09-06 at 04:12 am

    last edited by forrestunifreak on 2005-09-09 at 03:51 am-
    THE dave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9259

  7. THE dave

    THE dave Guest

    Im leaving to get on my plane.. so this thread can be TERMINATED

    --
    THE dave

    Toast
    dave

    psychoteledave2(at)hotmail(dot)com
    Team Yams

    - last edited by james_potter on 2005-10-5 at 3:58pm

    last edited by unitik908 on 2005-09-06 at 04:12 am

    last edited by forrestunifreak on 2005-09-09 at 03:51 am-
    THE dave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9259

  8. critter

    critter Guest

    THE dave wrote:
    > I was packing my bag for Spring Break in Hawaii with my family when I
    > realized that I had room for my unicycle in my bag. I completely
    > disassembled my Qu-Ax and somehow managed to fit it into my bag, with
    > all of my clothing. I know I can find some street riding to do in the
    > Waikiki area, but does anyone know of anywhere else for me to ride? Or
    > a specific place that is good for intermediate street riding?

    :eek: LOOK ME UP! I'm always looking for guest riders. We got great
    trails.
    Urban rides a sweet also.
    aloha

    --
    critter

    MUni-tracked mind 'www.unicyclehawaii.com'
    (http://www.unicyclehawaii.com)
    critter's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8739

  9. daino149

    daino149 Guest

    So why is it that everyone is coming to Hawaii after I move away?
    Anyway, there are several places for some nice riding. I wouldn't
    consider Waikiki one of them. It's one of the many places I have been
    asked not to ride. If you are into MUni, look at some MTB sites to
    find trails. I have ridden a few but not many. Kaena Point and St.
    Louis Heights are a couple of my favs. One thing to keep in mind is
    that it has been raining a lot in the islands, so most of the trails
    will be mud pits. I was on Oahu last week for a Ulit Frisbee Tourney
    and we got rained out.

    Have Fun
    Dan

    --
    daino149

    OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE

  10. THE dave

    THE dave Guest

    sorry man... i was on my plane when you made that comment. it rode
    mostly urban and didnt find much besides a bunch of short little walls,
    a bunch of them were made of lava rocks. They were fun to ride on, but
    my hopping height is limited so I could not get onto all of them with
    out mounting on them. I was limited in my choices becuase I was in
    downtown waikiki and the cops on bikes were EVERYWHERE. Where do you
    muni on Oahu?