unicycling shops please

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by juggling_unicyclist_joe, Apr 5, 2005.

  1. hi everyone

    i am looking for specific unicycle shops as there is a extreme lack of
    them in england. i know bike shops can fix up my uni but i would much
    preffer it if a actual unicyclist hu new what they were doing was fixin
    it.

    i know of unicycle.uk.com thats where i gt most of my spares and uni's
    from but its getting anoying with the postage and packing costs.

    so if anyone living in the south of England knows of any good unicycle
    shops please let me know.

    thanks joe

    --
    juggling_unicyclist_joe
    juggling_unicyclist_joe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9599

  2. s7ev0

    s7ev0 Guest

    -Unicycling shops???-

    y'ravin a laaarf, n'cha? :p

    --
    s7ev0 - ************

    We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there
    were no lawsuits from these accidents. They were accidents. No one was
    to blame but us. Remember accidents? ~ GILD
    s7ev0's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7310

  3. s7ev0

    s7ev0 Guest

    No, sorry, I don't know of any unicycling shops in the South.

    Come to think of it, I haven't heard of any elsewhere in the world,
    either. Other posters seem to refer to their local b*ke shop when
    talking about repairs to wheels, etc.

    --
    s7ev0 - ************

    We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there
    were no lawsuits from these accidents. They were accidents. No one was
    to blame but us. Remember accidents? ~ GILD
    s7ev0's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7310

  4. lilfunky1

    lilfunky1 Guest

    bedford unicycles might be the only unicycle shop around. and i'm lucky
    it's located in toronto canada where i live!

    but be an entrepreneur! if you think theres a market in your country,
    open your own unicycle shop!! :)

    --
    lilfunky1 - Trials Wannabe

    "I'm riding a unicycle with my pants down! This should be every boy's
    dream!"
    ~Bart Simpson

    ~lilfunky1
    lilfunky1's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7361

  5. sarah.miller

    sarah.miller Guest

    Your best bet is a local bike shop with a real bike mechanic (not just
    a teenager with 1 days training in assembleing bikes out of boxes. Most
    things you might ask a bike shop to do on a uni are fairly standard
    bike things, like replacing bearing or trueing wheels, if one shop
    aren't interested leave them and see what another say. In Reading we
    had a good realtionship with two bike shops, one fitted the brake to a
    coker for me and the other did a bearing change on a pashley muni, in
    each case I supplied the parts ( bearing from UDC) and their mechanic
    had the tools and did the work.

    Wher abouts ARE you in the south of England, some might be able to
    recomend a bike shop.

    SArah

    --
    sarah.miller - unicycist

    South West Unicycle Meet
    May 21st 2005. Ashburton, Devon, UK
    www.uk.unicyclist.com/swum.html
    sarah.miller's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1694

  6. evil-nick

    evil-nick Guest

    Pick what you believe is the best bike shop around, and stick with them,
    talk with their mechs so they know what's different, like the importance
    of a splined hub on a muni (Particularly if you broke the tapred hub ;))

    --
    evil-nick - Unicyclist, Linux Geek, & swell guy

    Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total
    obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and
    through me. And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see
    its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will
    remain.

    * Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear.

    My gallery:
    http://evil.linuxfreak.ca/uni.html
    Our Club:
    http://cs.ubishops.ca/~buuc/
    evil-nick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6692

  7. U-Turn

    U-Turn Guest

    Not to solve your specific problem, which is to find a local place to
    avoid shipping costs, but Bedford does repair work and upgrades, and 'so
    do I' (http://www.livewireunicycles.com).

    --
    U-Turn - As long as my feet keep movin'...

    'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
    -- Dave Stockton

  8. Unicycle.com in the UK do run stalls at all the main unicycle
    conventions in the UK where you can buy almost any of their extensive
    range of products.

    They also attend most of the UniMeets in the UK where they can supply
    you Unicycles or Parts (if you pre-order). They also conduct repairs
    and maintenance at these events, normally for free.

    The store also does repairs by mail order; we can arrange pick-up and
    delivery back to your home. Although this is not cheap it does give you
    a solution if you do not have any other.

    I agree with Sarah though, if you can find a good local bike shop they
    are a great resource. But here is my warning... double check their
    work; it is so often we have to replace knackered cranks that bike shops
    have fitted on the wrong side. It is just something that they don't
    normally consider.

    Roger

    --
    rogeratunicycledotcom - ok ish Unicyclist

    ++++++++++++++++++++++
    Unicycle.com in the UK
    www.unicycle.uk.com
    The UK's Unicycle Source
    BUC12
    22nd to 24th April 2005
    http://www.unicycle.org.uk/buc
    ++++++++++++++++++++++
    rogeratunicycledotcom's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4116

  9. leow

    leow Guest

    juggling_unicyclist_joe wrote:
    > *i am located in southampton, theres a few bike shops but not many
    > good ones. *

    I was about to recommend DM Unicycles in Christchurch - not too far from
    you.

    http://www.unicycle.co.uk/

    But...........

    "A message from Dave Mariner maker of DM unicycles.

    It is an undoubted fact that all good things come to an end. Unicycle
    production has been moving to the far east for a number of years. This
    has been a good thing for unicyclists who have just started unicycling
    and need a cheap unicycle. However the influx of imported unicycles has
    made the production of unicycles in the UK uneconomic. Maybe someone
    else can carry on where I am leaving off. More details on this will be
    available on this site soon.

    Thanks to all who have been my customers over the years."

    Maybe he still has some stock left .......

    I'm off to cry into my beer :¬(

    Leo White

    --
    leow - Unicycling oldbie

    TO I WHEEL - my favourite anagram
    leow's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/981

  10. unicus

    unicus Guest

    'tis sad news Leo but not realy a surprise.

    Not so much a matter of 'if' more a matter of 'when' he would be closing
    down.

    --
    unicus

    Every time I try to write my signature the pen slips on the monitor.
    unicus's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/869

  11. BungleBanks

    BungleBanks Guest

    way to go s7ev0!!!!

    im sittin here now laffing my ass off! give him some essex style
    boyyeee!!!

    im havin a larfff inn i????

    lol!

    --
    BungleBanks - Wooden Chipmunk!

    So many people ask me "if i can ride that thing?" and i say "no i just
    push it round for fun!"
    BungleBanks's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5830

  12. the best bike shops are the new bike shops that havnt beed around for
    awhile. I say this becasue they are not as stuck up about everything so
    they are more open to things. They also give you really good service
    because thay are new

    --
    brockfisher05 - THE YAM FATHER

    Also a member of the Vancouver unicycle group

    ADD ME AT: [email protected]
    brockfisher05's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8363