unidentified cans

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by sarah bennett, Dec 20, 2005.

  1. I made a chickpea dip yesterday, because I opened up a unlabeled can
    yesterday, thinking it might be black beans. Has this ever happened to
    anyone? :)

    made the rice and beans tonight, with dried tomatoes and mushrooms and
    onions n' garlic. mmmmm! especially with a splash of vinegar.
    --

    saerah

    -Baruch Spinoza

    -Douglas Adams

    Tags:

  2. Mamma Mia

    Mamma Mia Guest

    "sarah bennett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I made a chickpea dip yesterday, because I opened up a unlabeled can
    >yesterday, thinking it might be black beans. Has this ever happened to
    >anyone? :)
    >
    > made the rice and beans tonight, with dried tomatoes and mushrooms and
    > onions n' garlic. mmmmm! especially with a splash of vinegar.
    > --
    >
    > saerah

    i know of someone that thought he was so clever and bought a whole lot of
    wholesale stuff from a cannery. Prob was, no labels and he got it all mixed
    up. Each time he opened a can, could have been tinned fruit, or baked beans
    or anything!

    what else did you put in your chick pea dip? mine always turn out dry and
    bland. I guess EVOO is the answer, but i was tyring to keep the fat content
    down

    chris

  3. Mamma Mia wrote:
    > "sarah bennett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>I made a chickpea dip yesterday, because I opened up a unlabeled can
    >>yesterday, thinking it might be black beans. Has this ever happened to
    >>anyone? :)
    >>
    >>made the rice and beans tonight, with dried tomatoes and mushrooms and
    >>onions n' garlic. mmmmm! especially with a splash of vinegar.
    >>--
    >>
    >>saerah
    >>

    > i know of someone that thought he was so clever and bought a whole lot of
    > wholesale stuff from a cannery. Prob was, no labels and he got it all mixed
    > up. Each time he opened a can, could have been tinned fruit, or baked beans
    > or anything!
    >
    > what else did you put in your chick pea dip? mine always turn out dry and
    > bland. I guess EVOO is the answer, but i was tyring to keep the fat content
    > down
    >
    > chris

    This can was from last year when I worked as a grocery stock clerk and
    we were allowed to take unsaleable merchandise home, if we went through
    the proper channels. Great arrangement for a foodie like me, especially
    since this was a place that has quality products. I mean, if you are the
    one who accidentally sliced open a package of pasta, you know how long
    it has sat opened :) I also used to take like, a gallon of dated-that
    day yogurt to make yogurt cheese and starter for pickled things every
    few weeks. Once, the freezer broke down in the seafood case, and
    everyone took home bags of stuff. ah, memories...but I digress.

    I'm out of olive oil. I rinsed the chickpeas, mashed them up with two
    big minced garlic cloves, a few splashes of (soybean, I think) oil,
    lemon juice, hot sauce and salt and pepper. I ran out of leftover
    hamburger buns to eat it with, so I sprinkled on some black sesame seeds
    and ate the rest out of the bowl :) I only used maybe a few tsp. of oil
    (if that. I wasn't really measuring though) for one 15 oz can of
    chickpeas. I let it mellow in the fridge for an hour so it would have
    extra garlicky goodness.
    (I am sure that at this point, I am permenantly safe from vampire
    attack. All hail allium sativum!)

    --

    saerah

    -Baruch Spinoza

    -Douglas Adams

  4. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    Mamma Mia wrote:
    > "sarah bennett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>I made a chickpea dip yesterday, because I opened up a unlabeled can
    >>yesterday, thinking it might be black beans. Has this ever happened to
    >>anyone? :)
    >>
    >>made the rice and beans tonight, with dried tomatoes and mushrooms and
    >>onions n' garlic. mmmmm! especially with a splash of vinegar.
    >>--
    >>
    >>saerah
    >>

    > i know of someone that thought he was so clever and bought a whole lot of
    > wholesale stuff from a cannery. Prob was, no labels and he got it all mixed
    > up. Each time he opened a can, could have been tinned fruit, or baked beans
    > or anything!
    >
    > what else did you put in your chick pea dip? mine always turn out dry and
    > bland. I guess EVOO is the answer, but i was tyring to keep the fat content
    > down
    >
    > chris

    Add tahini or peanut butter (or grind in some sunflower seeds or brazil
    nuts). They are high in fat, but a lot lower fat than olive oil. It
    doesn't take a lot.

    Bob

  5. Shaun aRe

    Shaun aRe Guest

    "sarah bennett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I made a chickpea dip yesterday, because I opened up a unlabeled can
    > yesterday, thinking it might be black beans. Has this ever happened to
    > anyone? :)
    >
    > made the rice and beans tonight, with dried tomatoes and mushrooms and
    > onions n' garlic. mmmmm! especially with a splash of vinegar.

    Heheheh, has it ever! When I was about 12 y/o we as a family were broke
    after the co. my father worked for went under. A friend of his worked for
    Campbell's - he used to send lots of dented tins of their products our way,
    a lot of them without labels. Often what we hoped was French onion soup, or
    mushroom and garlic, turned out to be their 'meat balls' (*disgusting*
    things). No good for a quick gravy or sauce base, but we did have a cat at
    the time... for a while...

    Shaun aRe

  6. Shaun aRe

    Shaun aRe Guest

    "Mamma Mia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > what else did you put in your chick pea dip? mine always turn out dry and
    > bland. I guess EVOO is the answer, but i was tyring to keep the fat

    content
    > down

    A little light cream perhaps?

    Shaun aRe

  7. Anita Amaro

    Anita Amaro Guest

    "Shaun aRe" <shaun_[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Mamma Mia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >

    > > what else did you put in your chick pea dip? mine always turn out dry

    and
    > > bland. I guess EVOO is the answer, but i was tyring to keep the fat

    > content
    > > down

    > A little light cream perhaps?

    I use fat free plain yogurt.

    Anita

  8. Mamma Mia wrote:

    > what else did you put in your chick pea dip? mine always turn out dry and
    > bland. I guess EVOO is the answer, but i was tyring to keep the fat content
    > down
    >
    > chris

    lemon juice, then more lemon juice. Then some more.

    NT