unidentified cans

sarah bennett

Guest
I made a chickpea dip yesterday, because I opened up a unlabeled can
yesterday, thinking it might be black beans. Has this ever happened to
anyone? :)

made the rice and beans tonight, with dried tomatoes and mushrooms and
onions n' garlic. mmmmm! especially with a splash of vinegar.
--

saerah

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

"sarah bennett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I made a chickpea dip yesterday, because I opened up a unlabeled can
>yesterday, thinking it might be black beans. Has this ever happened to
>anyone? :)
>
> made the rice and beans tonight, with dried tomatoes and mushrooms and
> onions n' garlic. mmmmm! especially with a splash of vinegar.
> --
>
> saerah

i know of someone that thought he was so clever and bought a whole lot of
wholesale stuff from a cannery. Prob was, no labels and he got it all mixed
up. Each time he opened a can, could have been tinned fruit, or baked beans
or anything!

what else did you put in your chick pea dip? mine always turn out dry and
bland. I guess EVOO is the answer, but i was tyring to keep the fat content
down

chris

Mamma Mia wrote:
> "sarah bennett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>I made a chickpea dip yesterday, because I opened up a unlabeled can
>>yesterday, thinking it might be black beans. Has this ever happened to
>>anyone? :)
>>
>>made the rice and beans tonight, with dried tomatoes and mushrooms and
>>onions n' garlic. mmmmm! especially with a splash of vinegar.
>>--
>>
>>saerah
>>

> i know of someone that thought he was so clever and bought a whole lot of
> wholesale stuff from a cannery. Prob was, no labels and he got it all mixed
> up. Each time he opened a can, could have been tinned fruit, or baked beans
> or anything!
>
> what else did you put in your chick pea dip? mine always turn out dry and
> bland. I guess EVOO is the answer, but i was tyring to keep the fat content
> down
>
> chris

This can was from last year when I worked as a grocery stock clerk and
we were allowed to take unsaleable merchandise home, if we went through
the proper channels. Great arrangement for a foodie like me, especially
since this was a place that has quality products. I mean, if you are the
one who accidentally sliced open a package of pasta, you know how long
it has sat opened :) I also used to take like, a gallon of dated-that
day yogurt to make yogurt cheese and starter for pickled things every
few weeks. Once, the freezer broke down in the seafood case, and
everyone took home bags of stuff. ah, memories...but I digress.

I'm out of olive oil. I rinsed the chickpeas, mashed them up with two
big minced garlic cloves, a few splashes of (soybean, I think) oil,
lemon juice, hot sauce and salt and pepper. I ran out of leftover
hamburger buns to eat it with, so I sprinkled on some black sesame seeds
and ate the rest out of the bowl :) I only used maybe a few tsp. of oil
(if that. I wasn't really measuring though) for one 15 oz can of
chickpeas. I let it mellow in the fridge for an hour so it would have
extra garlicky goodness.
(I am sure that at this point, I am permenantly safe from vampire
attack. All hail allium sativum!)

--

saerah

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

Mamma Mia wrote:
> "sarah bennett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>I made a chickpea dip yesterday, because I opened up a unlabeled can
>>yesterday, thinking it might be black beans. Has this ever happened to
>>anyone? :)
>>
>>made the rice and beans tonight, with dried tomatoes and mushrooms and
>>onions n' garlic. mmmmm! especially with a splash of vinegar.
>>--
>>
>>saerah
>>

> i know of someone that thought he was so clever and bought a whole lot of
> wholesale stuff from a cannery. Prob was, no labels and he got it all mixed
> up. Each time he opened a can, could have been tinned fruit, or baked beans
> or anything!
>
> what else did you put in your chick pea dip? mine always turn out dry and
> bland. I guess EVOO is the answer, but i was tyring to keep the fat content
> down
>
> chris

Add tahini or peanut butter (or grind in some sunflower seeds or brazil
nuts). They are high in fat, but a lot lower fat than olive oil. It
doesn't take a lot.

Bob

"sarah bennett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I made a chickpea dip yesterday, because I opened up a unlabeled can
> yesterday, thinking it might be black beans. Has this ever happened to
> anyone? :)
>
> made the rice and beans tonight, with dried tomatoes and mushrooms and
> onions n' garlic. mmmmm! especially with a splash of vinegar.

Heheheh, has it ever! When I was about 12 y/o we as a family were broke
after the co. my father worked for went under. A friend of his worked for
Campbell's - he used to send lots of dented tins of their products our way,
a lot of them without labels. Often what we hoped was French onion soup, or
mushroom and garlic, turned out to be their 'meat balls' (*disgusting*
things). No good for a quick gravy or sauce base, but we did have a cat at
the time... for a while...

Shaun aRe

"Mamma Mia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> what else did you put in your chick pea dip? mine always turn out dry and
> bland. I guess EVOO is the answer, but i was tyring to keep the fat

content
> down

A little light cream perhaps?

Shaun aRe

Mamma Mia wrote:

> what else did you put in your chick pea dip? mine always turn out dry and
> bland. I guess EVOO is the answer, but i was tyring to keep the fat content
> down
>
> chris

lemon juice, then more lemon juice. Then some more.

NT