Unidentified drum brake needs, ummm, indentifying

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by [email protected], Jan 31, 2006.

  1. Tags:

  2. landotter

    landotter Guest

    I have no idea, but just want to congratulate you! You see quite a few
    of these still being ridden about in Gothenburg. I'm extremely jealous.

    I've still got family in Sweden, so if you run out of luck
    domestically, email me, and I'll see if my uncle can source the pads
    for you.

  3. john

    john Guest

    Hi G...
    I'd really like to see a picture of the whole bike. No? Back in the
    olden days (prior to disk brakes being installed on many cars) I
    believe that there was a practice of bonding and / or riveting new
    asbestos to old shoes. Of course Asbestos is long gone, but perhaps
    another material could be used, if you can't find any new ones. If the
    brakes are Wurmey-Archer (as I used to say back when I was a kid) they
    are probably still being made. The Brits aren't big on change ; )
    Although I may have heard that S-A has gone belly up.

    Good luck, John

  4. landotter

    landotter Guest

    SA is alive and well, just not British owned anymore.
    http://www.sturmey-archer.com

    So those brake aren't like coaster brakes, where the "pads" are brass
    coated with a crapload of hi-temp grease?

    I'd just take them apart and have a look, my senses tell me that
    they're probably good for another fifty years, as those military bikes
    are extremely overbuilt.

  5. Steve W

    Steve W Guest

    Drum brakes usually last for the owner's life, time plus a bit! So with any
    luck you shouldn't have to replace them. Assuming that they are in a
    reasonable condition now.

    SW

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    I've just purchased an old Swedish m/42 army bicycle (militärcykel).
    This rideable mass of solid pig iron works well, but I'm worried about
    replacing the pads in the drum sometime in the future. Though I would
    not be surprised if these drums were from a moped or small motorcycle,
    it could just as well be some license-built Sturmey-Archer or what not.
    Take a look:

    http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/9030/pict00271nn.jpg

    http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/7381/pict00281mf.jpg

  6. Groda

    Groda Guest

    I'll definitely remember that.

    As far as getting your own, go onto www.blocket.se and search for
    "militärcykel." Most are sold out of Malmö, but there have been
    plenty from Göteborg in the past, too. You can always just have them
    pick it up and stow it away for a while. The bike can wait for you;
    it's already made out of rust!

  7. Groda

    Groda Guest

    Don't worry, I'll be back with a whole photo shoot of this beast, later
    this week. I need to brag to someone.

  8. Christian

    Christian Guest

    If I remember right, those are "Novo" which was a Husqvarna captive
    brand, and use the same pads as the Husqvarna Novolette moped from the
    50s. But I think you're "out cycling" if you really think you'll have
    to change them. I'd think they'll continue to work as (not terribly)
    well as they ever did for the forseeable future.

    Oh and the pig iron is tubular, not solid. :)

    Fin hoj,
    - Christian

  9. Adam Rush

    Adam Rush Guest

    (I'm the thread poster, BTW)

    Thanks a bunch! Some Dutchman told me about Novo hubs which had a
    habit of disintegrating, and I had thought he was talking about the
    coaster brake rear hub.