Uniglide cassette source

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by meb, Mar 13, 2008.

  1. meb

    meb New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2003
    Messages:
    1,219
    Anyone got sources for Uniglide cassettes?

    I've sheered of the teeth of several splined sprockets, so reversing is not an option.

    Ebay seems overpriced and sparce

    I know I can grind down the large tab of the hyperglide, and will resort to that if necessary. But that would still leave me using the worn out threaded cog as a lockring proxy rather than a usable sprocket.

    Tags:

  2. Hank

    Hank Guest

    On Mar 13, 2:41 pm, meb <[email protected]>
    wrote:
    > Anyone got sources for Uniglide cassettes?
    >
    > I've sheered of the teeth of several splined sprockets, so reversing is
    > not an option.
    >
    > Ebay seems overpriced and sparce
    >
    > I know I can grind down the large tab of the hyperglide, and will
    > resort to that if necessary.  But that would still leave me using the
    > worn out threaded cog as a lockring proxy rather than a usable sprocket.
    >
    > --
    > meb

    Which hub? Maybe it's time to consider a freehub body transplant.

  3. meb

    meb New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2003
    Messages:
    1,219
    Exage- 6 speed. It's on a mountain bike.

    What is involved in transplanting a body?

    Was also considering replacing the hub with a another, but wasn't sure it's worth the effort to transplant the spokes an rim.

  4. meb

    meb New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2003
    Messages:
    1,219
  5. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    meb wrote:
    > Exage- 6 speed. It's on a mountain bike.
    > What is involved in transplanting a body?
    > Was also considering replacing the hub with a another, but wasn't sure
    > it's worth the effort to transplant the spokes an rim.

    A new seven speed cassette wheel is fairly cheap, not much more than a
    cassette body and an axle. They are high-volume commodities, low price.

    After that you can use cheap standard seven HG type cassettes. Most six
    SIS-index shifters have a 'phantom seven' click already and the
    derailleur works on either.
    Bonus- you can get seven chain with a snaplink which isn't available in six.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  6. meb

    meb New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2003
    Messages:
    1,219
    Turns out 3 of the splined cogs still are usable if reversed (the 15 and the big ones, 2 are badly sheered- the 17T is missing 7 cogs, the 19T about the same.

    I've assumed the threaded cogs weren't reverseable due to the built in spacer. If that is the reason, could one put a splined spacer in and reverse the threaded cog and either run with it or use it as a spare (this wheel is currently mounted with my studded tire, so if used as a winter swapout, I might not need the spectrum of gears for infrequent use)-particularly if I flipped the index-friction switch to friction when using the low cog?