United Cycling Team

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by [email protected], Feb 7, 2006.

  1. Tags:

  2. Dan Connelly

    Dan Connelly Guest

  3. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    Cosmo, in my collection I have quite a few high end bikes. Just before
    Christmas my brother found an unused Fuji's Newest frame in my size on
    Craig's List. So I ended with yet another bike frame. I put it together
    and that dull ping of aluminum turned out to be on the second best
    handling bike I've ever ridden. What's more, it's a pound and a half
    lighter than the best handler - an equally lower end Look KG-241. The
    C40 and the Eddy Merckx Ex Pro won't see so much road time now.

  4. >Cosmo, in my collection I have quite a few high end bikes. Just before
    >Christmas my brother found an unused Fuji's Newest frame in my size on
    >Craig's List. So I ended with yet another bike frame. I put it together
    >and that dull ping of aluminum turned out to be on the second best
    >handling bike I've ever ridden. What's more, it's a pound and a half
    >lighter than the best handler - an equally lower end Look KG-241. The
    >C40 and the Eddy Merckx Ex Pro won't see so much road time now.

    I ride a full aluminum frame and I love it. But I don't buy $6,000
    bikes (what with the mortgage on my trailer and all...). Having sold
    bikes just down the road from Aspen all summer, I've gotta say that
    people buying expensive bikes want carbon because Bicycling Magazine
    and all the journalists that Geraard Spergen seems to think are better
    than I am say it's the thing to have.

    Be honest - if you were buying a new bike, money-is-no-object and
    having never ridden either, would you have gone with the aluminum Fuji
    (which I believe has carbon stays that AREN'T painted the same color as
    the rest of the bike - maybe you overlooked that point) or the carbon
    Colnago?

  5. matabala

    matabala Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I ride a full aluminum frame and I love it. But I don't buy $6,000
    > bikes (what with the mortgage on my trailer and all...). Having sold
    > bikes just down the road from Aspen all summer, I've gotta say that
    > people buying expensive bikes want carbon because Bicycling Magazine
    > and all the journalists that Geraard Spergen seems to think are better
    > than I am say it's the thing to have.
    >
    > Be honest - if you were buying a new bike, money-is-no-object and
    > having never ridden either, would you have gone with the aluminum Fuji
    > (which I believe has carbon stays that AREN'T painted the same color as
    > the rest of the bike - maybe you overlooked that point) or the carbon
    > Colnago?

    After perusing your blog, best to take your own advice. There are no
    journalism awards for self-deprecation (nor for having sold bikes just down
    the road from Aspen).

  6. Bret

    Bret Guest

    Dan Connelly wrote:

    > Even if the bikes are ugly, I really like the fact they're riding relatively
    > generic bikes. It's part of their focus on attaining an identity independent
    > of individual sponsors, it seems.

    That doesn't appear to have been their intention since they're trying
    to sell a bunch of these bikes for $6K and $7K. See:
    http://www.united-bicycles.com/buy.php

    That's pretty steep for an aluminum bike, but the website implies that
    they will be custom-built which may account for the high price.

    The frame looks a lot like my own team bike which is also from SoCal
    and I wouldn't be surpised to find out they were contracting the same
    builder (Russ Denny) to build these. The same guy built the aluminum
    Macalu frames for Excel Sports.

    Bret