United States of OBESITY

italiano said:
Sure, not only Americans are fat. But, on average, Americans are one of the fattest nations for many own reasons. Interestingly, the phenomena is most noticeable in the South with Fatlanta leading the pack.:eek:

1. Higher cultural reliance on fast foods
2. Population dispersion. You have to drive almost everywhere if you live in suburbs
3. Higher disparity between haves and have-nots.. Low income layers are most obese.
4. Compared to Europe, poorly developed public transportation and bike/walk lanes.
5. American brand of individualism renders many health-oriented public actions ineffective.
Was doing a Photo shoot on South Beach in Miami yesterday.

No sign of obesity here, the guys, gals and touristas certainly has the most talent I have seen in ages. Maybe it is the nice weather, but I find Miami/S. Florida to have pretty fit and attractive folks.

Now, I was in Rome a few months ago, talk about fat women......

9202 said:
Was doing a Photo shoot on South Beach in Miami yesterday.

No sign of obesity here, the guys, gals and touristas certainly has the most talent I have seen in ages. Maybe it is the nice weather, but I find Miami/S. Florida to have pretty fit and attractive folks.

Now, I was in Rome a few months ago, talk about fat women......

Rome, Italy???????????

Been to Rome many times.................not much obesity there and whatever obesity levels are there, they're far lower than many other locations one could care to mention.

Florida has it's fair share of obese people - like many places.

I like to sit down with a nice jumbo bag of pork rinds. Now usually they are a little dry so some squeeze margarine or cheese whiz on top makes them a lot tastier.

limerickman said:
Rome, Italy???????????

Been to Rome many times.................not much obesity there and whatever obesity levels are there, they're far lower than many other locations one could care to mention.

Florida has it's fair share of obese people - like many places.
I was talking about S. Beach in Miami, not Florida in general. The scanily clad bodies were anything but obese. In fact, I had to wonder if there was even 4% body fat.

9202 said:
I was talking about S. Beach in Miami, not Florida in general. The scanily clad bodies were anything but obese. In fact, I had to wonder if there was even 4% body fat.

.........but you were referring to Rome, Italy??????????????

9202 said:
Well you definitely weren't ON the actual beach then. I was there three weeks ago, and there were plenty of fat tourists that you had to dodge when walking up and down the beach.

But if you walk along Lincoln Road at 4:00pm, you are bound to run into a few international models since about 1500-2000 live and work in South Beach.

But South Beach is not really a fair sample of the USA. For one thing the primary language spoken is Spanish.

PS. An amazing hobby in SB Miami is to drive up and down Ocean Rd in you're sporty convertible or hummer at 15mph. Just back and forth every 15 minutes cruisin' - for what I don't know.

stevebaby said:
Dip in batter and drop into a very hot deep frier. The trick is to lift it out before the heat penetrates the batter too much. The batter turns crisp and when you bite into it melted chocolate runs out. Very tasty.
Deep fried camembert in breadcrumbs is cooked the same way.
Deep fried Mars Bars = instant coronary.
Okay, now I'm intrigued...

Singapore has the cure for obesity.
Every young Singaporean has to do National Service. When they start their service they are told their ideal weight. If they are overweight when their term of enlistment is up, then it's bad luck...they don't get to leave until they reach that weight.
Very few fat people in Singapore.

stevebaby said:
Singapore has the cure for obesity.
Every young Singaporean has to do National Service. When they start their service they are told their ideal weight. If they are overweight when their term of enlistment is up, then it's bad luck...they don't get to leave until they reach that weight.
Very few fat people in Singapore.
If you spent some time out of the girlie bars, you might notice some.:p

OP - Depending on what type of pants you're looking for, you may have to go to one of the 'designer' stores (like Hollister, Abercrombie, Buckle, to name just a few).

It is rather difficult in North America these days to find clothes that actually fit if you're less than 20 pounds overweight.
I'm 5'10, 150 lbs. and have to go into the kids' section at places like WallyWorld.
One of the roots of this problem is that most people on this continent consider it an insult if they have to walk (or bike) anywhere.

zigoat said:
kudos to whoever started the soapbox .

went shopping for pants yesterday after the ride. could not find a pair of pants that fit. I'm 5' 10" 136lb. (1.78 m 61.7 kilo) not exactly a strange size. everyone is so fat now that the stores will not even stock pants with a smaller waist than inseam. it makes me sick that they don't have 28x32 but they do have 42x30.

Crankyfeet said:
If you spent some time out of the girlie bars, you might notice some.:p
Not many girlie bars in Singapore! There used to be a few in Bugis St....but they weren't real girls.
Or so I've been told. :D

stevebaby said:
Not many girlie bars in Singapore! There used to be a few in Bugis St....but they weren't real girls.
Or so I've been told. :D
what about the "12 floors of whores"?

just heard from some collegues who went on business...

aye laddie, the deep fried mars bar is a scottish invention...its a long way from aberdeen to civilization, we need something to keep us going you know.!

MountainPro said:
what about the "12 floors of whores"?

just heard from some collegues who went on business...

aye laddie, the deep fried mars bar is a scottish invention...its a long way from aberdeen to civilization, we need something to keep us going you know.!

Hear it from a colleague? Ok, I believe you. You were never there.

jhuskey said:
Hear it from a colleague? Ok, I believe you. You were never there.
yep, they were there on *ahem* business. But as steve says, always check your goods before commit to anything..

Eden said:
Amen brother - my husband (6'4" -185) could use at least a 32/34, which pretty much doesn't exist and I (5'even -102) am reduced to shopping for 0's which rarely exist, or girls size 14's....., which at 35 makes it fairly hard to find clothing that is well, age appropriate.

(oh and guys don't have any waist/hip difference to speak of for the most part, so pants that are too big tend to fall down.....)

I know where you are coming from with this. I am six four and about 174ish and I get over the fall with a belt that could hold up my car. This belt kicks some major booty. But I wonder why people let themselves get to that point to begin with.

For people who want a kickass belt or just something that will cause bodily harm to someone trying to pants you check this out. Seriously this thing has yet to come loose on me ever.
http://store.thewilderness.com/product_info.php?cPath=43&products_id=1186

V.

After struggling in this area for many years, I have come to the conclusion that a lot of people really don't know how to eat well. I didn't and had to do a ton of research to finally figure things out. I'm on my waay to getting back towards a normal BMI, and of course riding 50 - 70 miles a week doesn't hurt either.