Universal joint for a bike trailer

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Deep Floyd Mars, Jun 30, 2003.

  1. Hey folks!

    I am currently building a 2-wheeled trailer. I have the frame and wheels pretty much complete
    and looking good, but am now trying to figure out how to fasten it to my seat post via a
    universal joint.

    I figured that maybe a ball joint would be the best, but have no idea as to where to start looking
    for something like that. I would like a configuration that is light, and easy to disconnect.

    Has anyone got any creative solutions?
    ---
    DFM

    Tags:

  2. Pete

    Pete Guest

    "Deep Floyd Mars" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hey folks!
    >
    > I am currently building a 2-wheeled trailer. I have the frame and wheels pretty much complete
    > and looking good, but am now trying to figure out how to fasten it to my seat post via a
    > universal joint.
    >
    > I figured that maybe a ball joint would be the best, but have no idea as
    > where to start looking for something like that. I would like a
    configuration
    > that is light, and easy to disconnect.
    >
    > Has anyone got any creative solutions?

    Northern Tool (or Northern Hydraulics) http://www.northerntool.com/ has little ball joints used in
    building gokarts. They might work well, but they do have a little bit of slop. McMaster
    http://www.mcmaster.com/ has plenty of solutions for this. In Europe a few years ago, at Halford's,
    I found a wee trailer hitch. Looked just like a car hitch, but 1/4 size.

    home made solutions: A short, thick rubber hose, inside of a spring, and some sort of quick release
    pin at the bike end. A 3/8" or 1/2" universal socket adapter. drill a hole in the bike end for a
    quick release pin. http://www.bikesatwork.com/hauling-cargo-by-bike/bicycle-trailer-guide-2.html

    google for "universal joint" + bicycle.

    Pete

  3. Pete <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Deep Floyd Mars" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hey folks!
    > >
    > > I am currently building a 2-wheeled trailer. I have the frame and wheels pretty much complete
    > > and looking good, but am now trying to figure out
    how
    > > to fasten it to my seat post via a universal joint.
    > >
    > > I figured that maybe a ball joint would be the best, but have no idea as
    > > where to start looking for something like that. I would like a
    > configuration
    > > that is light, and easy to disconnect.
    > >
    > > Has anyone got any creative solutions?
    >
    > Northern Tool (or Northern Hydraulics) http://www.northerntool.com/ has little ball joints used in
    > building gokarts. They might work well, but
    they
    > do have a little bit of slop. McMaster http://www.mcmaster.com/ has plenty of solutions for this.
    > In Europe a few years ago, at Halford's, I found a wee trailer hitch.
    Looked
    > just like a car hitch, but 1/4 size.
    >
    > home made solutions: A short, thick rubber hose, inside of a spring, and some sort of quick
    > release pin at the bike end. A 3/8" or 1/2" universal socket adapter. drill a hole in the
    > bike end for
    > quick release pin.

    http://www.bikesatwork.com/hauling-cargo-by-bike/bicycle-trailer-guide-2.htm l

    Thanks Pete. There appears to be no distributor for McMaster in Australia unfortuately. I am no sure
    about how to find the equivalent over here.

    I dont quite understand how the hose-in-a-spring solution works, but am interested. Can't seem to
    find an illustration anywhere. Have searched google!!! What happens in this situation if the trailer
    rolls over?

    Thanks!
    ---
    DFM

  4. Frank Miles

    Frank Miles Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Deep Floyd Mars
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Hey folks!
    >
    >I am currently building a 2-wheeled trailer. I have the frame and wheels pretty much complete
    >and looking good, but am now trying to figure out how to fasten it to my seat post via a
    >universal joint.
    >
    >I figured that maybe a ball joint would be the best, but have no idea as to where to start looking
    >for something like that. I would like a configuration that is light, and easy to disconnect.

    I used a "control arm bearing" with the trailer I made. They use these in aircraft. (I'm convinced
    that a decent hitch is the hardest part of making a trailer).

    -frank
    --

  5. "Deep Floyd Mars" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hey folks!
    >
    > I am currently building a 2-wheeled trailer. I have the frame and wheels pretty much complete
    > and looking good, but am now trying to figure out how to fasten it to my seat post via a
    > universal joint.
    >
    > I figured that maybe a ball joint would be the best, but have no idea as to where to start looking
    > for something like that. I would like a configuration that is light, and easy to disconnect.
    >
    > Has anyone got any creative solutions?
    > ---
    > DFM

    I don't know how heavy will be the load you plan to carry, but one solution would be to get the
    "alternate hitch" from Burley (http://www.burley.com) or the new 2003 hitch from Chariot
    (http://www.chariotcarriers.com/).

    I know the latter is sold separately to upgrage older child carriers (I have a used 2000 one); it
    comes with the ball and the receiver end that attach through the rear quick release, and it is
    definitely strong enough for, say 50-70 kg (100-150 lb).

    Regards,

    Michel