Universal joint for a bike trailer

Deep Floyd Mars

Guest
Hey folks!

I am currently building a 2-wheeled trailer. I have the frame and wheels pretty much complete
and looking good, but am now trying to figure out how to fasten it to my seat post via a
universal joint.

I figured that maybe a ball joint would be the best, but have no idea as to where to start looking
for something like that. I would like a configuration that is light, and easy to disconnect.

Has anyone got any creative solutions?
---
DFM

"Deep Floyd Mars" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hey folks!
>
> I am currently building a 2-wheeled trailer. I have the frame and wheels pretty much complete
> and looking good, but am now trying to figure out how to fasten it to my seat post via a
> universal joint.
>
> I figured that maybe a ball joint would be the best, but have no idea as
> where to start looking for something like that. I would like a
configuration
> that is light, and easy to disconnect.
>
> Has anyone got any creative solutions?

Northern Tool (or Northern Hydraulics) http://www.northerntool.com/ has little ball joints used in
building gokarts. They might work well, but they do have a little bit of slop. McMaster
http://www.mcmaster.com/ has plenty of solutions for this. In Europe a few years ago, at Halford's,
I found a wee trailer hitch. Looked just like a car hitch, but 1/4 size.

home made solutions: A short, thick rubber hose, inside of a spring, and some sort of quick release
pin at the bike end. A 3/8" or 1/2" universal socket adapter. drill a hole in the bike end for a
quick release pin. http://www.bikesatwork.com/hauling-cargo-by-bike/bicycle-trailer-guide-2.html

google for "universal joint" + bicycle.

Pete

Pete <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Deep Floyd Mars" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hey folks!
> >
> > I am currently building a 2-wheeled trailer. I have the frame and wheels pretty much complete
> > and looking good, but am now trying to figure out
how
> > to fasten it to my seat post via a universal joint.
> >
> > I figured that maybe a ball joint would be the best, but have no idea as
> > where to start looking for something like that. I would like a
> configuration
> > that is light, and easy to disconnect.
> >
> > Has anyone got any creative solutions?
>
> Northern Tool (or Northern Hydraulics) http://www.northerntool.com/ has little ball joints used in
> building gokarts. They might work well, but
they
> do have a little bit of slop. McMaster http://www.mcmaster.com/ has plenty of solutions for this.
> In Europe a few years ago, at Halford's, I found a wee trailer hitch.
Looked
> just like a car hitch, but 1/4 size.
>
> home made solutions: A short, thick rubber hose, inside of a spring, and some sort of quick
> release pin at the bike end. A 3/8" or 1/2" universal socket adapter. drill a hole in the
> bike end for
> quick release pin.

http://www.bikesatwork.com/hauling-cargo-by-bike/bicycle-trailer-guide-2.htm l

Thanks Pete. There appears to be no distributor for McMaster in Australia unfortuately. I am no sure
about how to find the equivalent over here.

I dont quite understand how the hose-in-a-spring solution works, but am interested. Can't seem to
find an illustration anywhere. Have searched google!!! What happens in this situation if the trailer
rolls over?

Thanks!
---
DFM

In article <[email protected]>, Deep Floyd Mars
<[email protected]> wrote:
>Hey folks!
>
>I am currently building a 2-wheeled trailer. I have the frame and wheels pretty much complete
>and looking good, but am now trying to figure out how to fasten it to my seat post via a
>universal joint.
>
>I figured that maybe a ball joint would be the best, but have no idea as to where to start looking
>for something like that. I would like a configuration that is light, and easy to disconnect.

I used a "control arm bearing" with the trailer I made. They use these in aircraft. (I'm convinced
that a decent hitch is the hardest part of making a trailer).

-frank
--

"Deep Floyd Mars" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hey folks!
>
> I am currently building a 2-wheeled trailer. I have the frame and wheels pretty much complete
> and looking good, but am now trying to figure out how to fasten it to my seat post via a
> universal joint.
>
> I figured that maybe a ball joint would be the best, but have no idea as to where to start looking
> for something like that. I would like a configuration that is light, and easy to disconnect.
>
> Has anyone got any creative solutions?
> ---
> DFM

I don't know how heavy will be the load you plan to carry, but one solution would be to get the
"alternate hitch" from Burley (http://www.burley.com) or the new 2003 hitch from Chariot
(http://www.chariotcarriers.com/).

I know the latter is sold separately to upgrage older child carriers (I have a used 2000 one); it
comes with the ball and the receiver end that attach through the rear quick release, and it is
definitely strong enough for, say 50-70 kg (100-150 lb).

Regards,

Michel