University of Wollongong?Information needed

quitchat

Nov 9, 2005
(Sorry for the double post.)

Hi,
I'm an overseas student and am planning to apply for a Master of Computer Science Course in University of Wollongong.
Anybody familliar with this university?I overheard that University of Wollongong is famous for his ComputerScience-related courses and his Informatic Faculty is among the top in Australia.Is that true?
And also I would like to know the living-cost in Wollongong.

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

quitchat said:
(Sorry for the double post.)

Hi,
I'm an overseas student and am planning to apply for a Master of Computer Science Course in University of Wollongong.
Anybody familliar with this university?I overheard that University of Wollongong is famous for his ComputerScience-related courses and his Informatic Faculty is among the top in Australia.Is that true?
And also I would like to know the living-cost in Wollongong.

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Yes, it is a very good uni.

Campus is very pretty too.

The whole city is pretty cyclist friendly. It is essentially flat around the uni / downtown / beaches area. However, if you like hills, the uni is literally at the foot of a mountain range which takes you from sea level (or slightly above) to about 1200 feet or so.

All in all, it is a great uni, great for cycling and definitely cheaper than Sydney - esp if you cycle everywhere (small city - very possible)

Scotty

scotty72 said:
Yes, it is a very good uni.

Campus is very pretty too.

The whole city is pretty cyclist friendly. It is essentially flat around the uni / downtown / beaches area. However, if you like hills, the uni is literally at the foot of a mountain range which takes you from sea level (or slightly above) to about 1200 feet or so.

All in all, it is a great uni, great for cycling and definitely cheaper than Sydney - esp if you cycle everywhere (small city - very possible)

Scotty
Scotty,thanks for the quick reply.
The city sounds like great for me.I definitely will bring my bike with me if I am admitted.
There is one thing I have yet to decide.
Yes of course it is a very good university,but I will have to admit that it's not as highly-ranked as University of Melbourne or University of Sydney ,etc.The agent at my place tells me that UWO is one of the best unis in terms of InformationTechnologh/ComputerScience.I'm just not sure about it.
I have to figure it out and make my decision.
Any input is appreciated.
Thank you.

I did a PhD in environmental/civil engineering at UoW. Great Uni for engineering/science/IT fields. Check out the Australian Good Universities Guide. UoW won best Aust uni for a few years running in last 1990/early 2000s.

UoW is a significant research centre for IT related studies, and as I understand it, has a very good rep. You could do a lot worse that UoW. You will find a significant battle happening at the moment between the older, old established "sandstone" unis like Sydney, Melbourne against places like Wollongong. Its all about funding share, especially for the research dollar.

Wollongong is a great place to live - relatively cheap compared to Sydney/Melbourne. Great bike riding, arguably the best surf beachs in the world, surrounded by National Parks. Its close enough to do day trips to Sydney, but has just about everything you need locally anyway.

Have fun choosing - always a difficult thing to way up the options.

Hey guys,
Thank you for your kind replies.I really appreciate it.
And I have narrow down my options to three Universities: University of Wollongong,University of New South Wales and Monash University.
I'm sending out my application forms in a couple of days.
Hopefully,I will be able to join you guys next year.:D

Hi there,

I am also interesting in study at WOU.

Could you please tell me weathere the Wollongong is cheaper or much expensive than Gold Coast?

Also, is the study there complicated ( Ph.D - Information Technology )? and the postgraduate staff are cooperated or not?

Many thanks to all of you guys for your advices.

Rer:)