Unknown Flat Tire problem

spartyboy22

Sep 10, 2014
So I got my bike out to commute to work one day and I noticed the rear tire was flat. I checked and checked but no hole, so I pumped it back up and did the soapy water test. Air is leaking profusely from between the rim and tire. Is there any way to fix this?

Install a new tube ... Of course, you could simply patch the existing tube ...
  • It doesn't hurt to have a spare tube.
BTW. The way you wrote your query, it sounds as if you did NOT remove the tire from the rim ...
  • You should check the RIM TAPE to ensure that a spoke did not cause the puncture ... You may need to replace the rim tape to ensure that the problem does not recur ...

If it's not immediately apparent I would submerge the inner tube, after its been removed from the wheel of course, in a shallow tub of water. If there is a puncture, you will see bubbles.

Besides the spoke/rim tape culprit Alf mentioned, a piece of glass may have worked its way through the tire, the rim itself may have a bur on it, or if lucky the gremlin may have simply punctured the tube and went on it's merry way. Along with a visual inspection, the two latter causes can be detected by gently running a finger along the inside of the rim and tire, Once you have repaired or replaced the tube, try and remove any future potential causes for flatting.

When re-installing the tube, make sure it is completely inside the tire by using the thumbs and forefingers of both hands and going along the length of the rim (on both sides) with the tube only partially inflated visually making sure no bit of inner tube is peeking out under the tire directly against the rim.

Originally Posted by spartyboy22
So I got my bike out to commute to work one day and I noticed the rear tire was flat. I checked and checked but no hole, so I pumped it back up and did the soapy water test. Air is leaking profusely from between the rim and tire. Is there any way to fix this?
Easy fixes include;

- patch the hole in the tube
- replace the tube
- replace the tube and tyre