Unofficial 2006 Unicon Workshops (BEERsketball, etc.)

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by unicycle6869, Apr 7, 2006.

  1. unicycle6869

    unicycle6869 Guest

    First, this is a thread dedicated to all the unofficial 2006 unicon
    workshops that will be held in switzerland. If you have something that
    would fit here, feel free to post it. I have other idea's for
    unofficial workshops and sure others might too (unicycle bar hopping
    workshop, etc.) but am only going to organize this one so if you want
    to organize a different one that'd be great. I was going to make mine
    official but the organizers think it's best that they aren't associated
    with drinking type workshops/gatherings due to liability issues (which
    makes sense). Anyhow, here is my unofficial workshop:

    -Workshop Name-: *BEERsketball Championship and Worksh*op
    -Leader-: Jamey Mossengren
    -Leader's email-: [email protected]
    -Type-: Other
    -Time Requirement-: 2-4 Hours
    -Space-: Any place where lots of people can drink and party. A few
    tables (simular to a ping pong size table) would be ideal to set up the
    game and play on. Any tables will work but the closest to a ping pong
    size table is best.
    -Description-: This is a fun drinking game/workshop. It is usually
    played on a ping pong ball table with a ping pong. I will go over all
    rules at the workshop but here is a basic outline of the game (kind of
    hard to explain but it's really easy to learn); 2 people on a team. 2
    teams play against each other. Set-up requires each person to put a
    little bit of beer in ten plastic cups. They then put those 10 cups in
    a bowling pin configuration in front of them on the table. Each team
    gets one ping pong ball. The object of the game is to bounce or throw
    the ball into the other teams cups. When you make one in, they have to
    drink that cup and set it aside. To win you must get the ball in all of
    the other teams cups (20 total). There are more little rules but that
    is the basics. We played this at the last Unicon and it seemed like a
    big hit. We play it a decent amount here in Minnesota so practice up
    guys and girls!!
    -Who should attend-: Anyone that likes to drink, party and have a good
    time.
    -Language-: English
    -Maximum number of people-: 69
    -Cost-: Beer
    -What to bring-: EVERYONE needs to bring their own beer. I would
    suggest bringing at least 6 cans of beer per person just for the game
    so bring extra if you want to drink while watching others. It is never
    any fun when you run out of beer and can't play anymore!
    -About the leader-: Jamey Mossengren is a BEERsketball world champion.
    OK, maybe he isn't but he has held many titles for unicycling over the
    past 15 years he has been unicycling. He's from Minnesota (USA) and
    belongs to the Twin Cities Unicycle Club.
    -Preferred Scheduling-: At night, the date to be determined.
    -Time conflicts to avoid-: Avoid any really important events that are
    early the next morning. Some people may want to sleep in the following
    day.
    -Special needs-: A few tables (simular to a ping pong size table) would
    be ideal to set up the game and play on. Any tables will work but the
    closest to a ping pong size table is best. 5 would be a good amount but
    would take whatever we can get. Chairs would be nice for people to sit
    down. I will try and bring ping pong balls and plastic cups (bigger the
    better) or buy them there (does anyone know if there is a place to buy
    ping pong balls and plastic cups in Langethall)?
    -Comments-: Let me know what you think! We will have a sign up sheet at
    Unicon.....should be a blast.

    --
    unicycle6869

    Jamey (formaly tuna6869)

    Which is worse, a president who screws an intern, or a president who
    screws the country?

    I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the
    morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day!"~Frank
    Sinatra
    unicycle6869's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8990

  2. dorkybarb

    dorkybarb Guest

    man, for that alone i would go to unicon!
    but alas, poor college student has no money :(

    i hope you have a good turnout for this jamey!
    you should talk to connie about getting this in the TCUC uni weekend
    that we are having in may! good prep for those who don't know how to
    play it. plus it will be good to have a test before you take the game
    worldwide.

    :)
    -barb

    --
    dorkybarb

    They say cookies hide behind every door,
    then I must be opening windows.
    -this is my brother jims version of-
    The say love hides behind every corner, then I must be walking in
    circles
    dorkybarb's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10681

  3. bbraf

    bbraf Guest

    unicycle6869 wrote:
    > (does anyone know if there is a place to buy ping pong balls and plastic
    > cups in Langethall)

    You can buy ping pong balls at Ochsner Sports in Langenthal, plastic
    cups and beer are available in any supermarket (beer only if you are
    older than 16, spirits only if you are older than 18).

    I think there are outdoor ping pong tables around. I'll check.

    --
    bbraf

    Hasta luego,
    Franz

    Webmaster 'UNICON XIII' (http://www.unicon13.ch/)
    bbraf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/404

  4. unicycle6869

    unicycle6869 Guest

    bbraf wrote:
    > You can buy ping pong balls at Ochsner Sports in Langenthal, plastic
    > cups and beer are available in any supermarket (beer only if you are
    > older than 16, spirits only if you are older than 18).
    >
    > I think there are outdoor ping pong tables around. I'll check.

    Thanks for the info!

    --
    unicycle6869

    Jamey (formaly tuna6869)

    Which is worse, a president who screws an intern, or a president who
    screws the country?

    I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the
    morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day!"~Frank
    Sinatra
    unicycle6869's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8990

  5. Jethro

    Jethro Guest

  6. maxisback

    maxisback Guest

  7. unicycle6869

    unicycle6869 Guest

    Jethro wrote:
    > I'll bet you a beer that this doesn't show up in one of Ryan's updates.

    No thanks, I think you have a safe bet!

    --
    unicycle6869

    Jamey (formaly tuna6869)

    Which is worse, a president who screws an intern, or a president who
    screws the country?

    I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the
    morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day!"~Frank
    Sinatra
    unicycle6869's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8990

  8. unicycle6869

    unicycle6869 Guest

    maxisback wrote:
    > how about.. get drunk and try to uni ?

    They actually had some type of thing like this at the final party in
    China. I never played so I don't know the rules and stuff but it
    basically was something like you had to do a trick and then drink or
    drink if you fall or something...anyone here participate in it? I don't
    know if it was related to this event but that same night at the final
    party, Julien Monue from Switzerland had a few too many and tried to do
    a trick, fell and had to go to the hospital to get stiches!

    Anyone want to come up with a game/workshop that involves drinking and
    unicycling for this Unicon?

    --
    unicycle6869

    Jamey (formaly tuna6869)

    Which is worse, a president who screws an intern, or a president who
    screws the country?

    I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the
    morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day!"~Frank
    Sinatra
    unicycle6869's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8990

  9. kristian

    kristian Guest

  10. sarah.miller

    sarah.miller Guest

    unicycle6869 wrote:
    > They actually had some type of thing like this at the final party in
    > China. I never played so I don't know the rules and stuff but it
    > basically was something like you had to do a trick and then drink or
    > drink if you fall or something...anyone here participate in it?

    Oh yes, that was afun game, I remeber the start of it, but the end is a
    little hazy. one had to nomiate the hardest trick you could do, do it
    then drink, then do it again, till you fell off. As you say JM fell
    doimng some crazy hard thing. The game was won by the muni rider whos
    best skill was free mounting or ideling or some such Actully Ithink
    his best skill may have been beer drinking.Nathan, was it you? or was
    it Bruce Bundy?

    Sarah

    --
    sarah.miller

    South West Unicycle Meet
    www.uk.unicyclist.com/swum.html
    sarah.miller's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1694

  11. unicycle6869

    unicycle6869 Guest

    bump

    --
    unicycle6869

    Jamey (formaly tuna6869)

    Which is worse, a president who screws an intern, or a president who
    screws the country?

    I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the
    morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day!"~Frank
    Sinatra
    unicycle6869's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8990

  12. unicycle6869

    unicycle6869 Guest

    I'm planning on having the practice round on Monday the 24th and the
    tournament on Monday the 31st starting at like 22:00 both nights. Let
    the party begin!!!

    --
    unicycle6869

    Jamey (formaly tuna6869)

    Which is worse, a president who screws an intern, or a president who
    screws the country?

    I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the
    morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day!"~Frank
    Sinatra
    unicycle6869's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8990

  13. Catboy

    Catboy Guest

  14. nathan

    nathan Guest

    sarah.miller wrote:
    > Oh yes, that was afun game, I remeber the start of it, but the end is a
    > little hazy. one had to nomiate the hardest trick you could do, do it
    > then drink, then do it again, till you fell off. As you say JM fell
    > doimng some crazy hard thing. The game was won by the muni rider whos
    > best skill was free mounting or ideling or some such Actully Ithink
    > his best skill may have been beer drinking.Nathan, was it you? or was
    > it Bruce Bundy?
    >
    > Sarah

    Hi Sarah. I'm looking forward to seeing you next week. You and Paul
    look very happy in the photo you posted.

    In China, it was officially called the "Beer Drinking Workshop". Due to
    injuries sustained, there won't be any more of these that are official
    though. Anyway, the rules were pretty simple. You had to pick in
    advance a trick that you could do, not your hardest, but something.
    Roger wrote them all down and then the competition began.

    Each person drinks a beer (I think they were about 8 or 10 oz) then
    demonstrates the trick to Roger who records it. Repeat until you can't
    perform the trick. For some people, that was really quick. I remember
    one person whose trick was sideways coasting - I think he lasted one
    round. Then Roger made a mistake. He permitted a trick-change. So the
    unnamed person (not JM) picked an easier trick that lasted a few rounds
    more. By round 10 or so, he was reduced to having his trick be "free
    mount". And failed. It was SO funny. I think everyone else stuck with
    their trick all the way though.

    The eventual winner was Bruce Bundy from Santa Cruz, California. He did
    his kick-up mount after 20 beers. Leo White from England was second
    with 18 but I forgot his trick. I managed to one-foot idle 10 times
    after 16 beers for 3rd place. But the catch was that at approx round 10
    or 12, the rules were changed and in addition to another beer we had to
    take swigs of an amazingly bad Chinese liquor, directly out of a
    plastic half-gallon jug. To this day I still have an aversion to clear
    liquor that smells like that. What a night. It was SO funny walking
    back to the hotel afterwards. People falling down, trying to ride. I
    almost died laughing.

    The downside was injuries that required a scary trip to a Chinese
    hospital for stiches. That was not so great. I really encourage
    responsible drinking!

    ---Nathan

    --
    nathan
    nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251

  15. burjzyntski

    burjzyntski Guest

    bbraf wrote:
    > You can buy ping pong balls at Ochsner Sports in Langenthal, plastic
    > cups and beer are available in any supermarket (beer only if you are
    > older than 16, spirits only if you are older than 18).

    I'm -*definately*- going to the next UNICON.

    --
    burjzyntski

    It's no good being Polish unless you prove it once a day.

    \"every silver lining has a touch of gray.\"

    "In summary: You want to make sure your Koxx is hard enough before you
    start drilling."
    burjzyntski's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10188

  16. unicycle6869

    unicycle6869 Guest

    And for all of you that played Beersketball (Beerpong) at Unicon, I hope
    you all had a good ol time. Although it wasn't an ideal spot to play we
    made it work and made the best of it. As for the champions, (not to
    sound cocky or anything like that) I believe for the first night we
    played, Schwarz and I probably won cause we started out and kept
    winning game after game, some even in overtime. I don't recall how many
    we won but we won so many times that I got so drunk I hit Schwarz so
    hard (just playing around) that he got hurt pretty bad and almost had
    to go to the emergency room.

    For the second and last night we played at the final party, I would
    vote Andy Cotter and Reto as the champions since they never lost a
    game, even though I don't think they played that many, they still left
    Unicon undefeated! And look at their looks of concentration in the
    picture below!

    But then again, everyone's a winner in the game of Beersketball
    (Beerpong)!! Start practicing for next Unicon now!

    |Filename: CIMG1746.JPG |