unofficial tour of Spain thread

CAMPYBOB

Sep 12, 2005
Stage 1:

How about them Garmins?

More blood in the streets of Pamplona than the trotting of the bulls. Gasparotto lost 9'.

As Charles Pelkey pointed out, Garmin DID win the Giro, which generally means your season has one pretty significant highlight.

But yeah, it's been buzzard's luck for them so far in the other 2 Grand Tours.

I didn't realize the finish was in the arean where the running of the bulls ends. Pretty neat.

A motorbike led Martin offline. Lots of weirdness in the prologue.

I only had time to watch a bit of the Vattenfal Cyclassic this morning before heading out to ride. O'grady shattered a collarbone...nasty. Off to watch the Vuelta road stage I missed this morning.

Next two stages Arrate and Estación de Valdezcaray
Froome said he's looking forward to Arrate after very good sensations during opening TTT.
Contador mentioned earlier he expects to catch top form in the second week, while Arrate and Valdezcaray aren't exactly the climbs where he'll be trying to make the difference.
I'm not sure he's forthright about it, but after today's bonus seconds ambush it makes sense.
And just because of that ambush, I hope Froome will put some time into Contador.
Bonus seconds should be exactly what their name says - bonus. Reward for good ride, not the goal. At least not for the rider of Contador's caliber. Although he's right about importance of small gains.
It was very nerdy move (chasing bonus), and I think Riis has something to do with it.

Rodriguez is the rider to watch on Arrate. It's his kind of climb, and he has to take as much time as he can.
Igor Anton is the other one who should fancy his chances there.
Movistar could establish their team hierarchy on Arrate.
I also hope Arrate won't redirect VDB's goals from GC to stage victories.

Yes, Contador looked very good.
His accelerations reminded me on his famous battle against Rasmussen during 2007 Tour.
This time it looked more like testing of his rivals. Froome particularly. Contador needs to know what has to be done against Sky.
And Froome looked good too. Doesn't have explosiveness of Contador, but his pacing is very good.
Although Froome took bonus in front of Contador, the latter one won this round in my opinion.
If Contador improves the way he's expecting, I doubt he'll have appropriate rival.

P.S.
Regarding bonus at the finish, maybe Contador's message is: "Be my guest, take it. I won't need it."
Or just wanted to make things even after yesterday's ambush. To act knightly.

"No gifts!"

Valv-Piti was strong and J-Rod may throw in on the next bit of hill work...we'll see. Did Cobo fold? Sure looked like it.

Mr. Angus beef may be sending a Lance-like message...

J-Rod says:

I expected today the favorite riders to be at the same standard and I have very good feelings about my shape, but in this moment I'm so ****** against myself that I don't really care. I can only think I lost a stage not because I was weaker, but because I was stupid."

At least he's honest!

Stage 4 : Valverde has crashed and is having his work trying to get back on to the bunch.
It looks very windy out there today too.

Valv was very unlucky to fall as Sky put the hammer down.

A great ride by the break and Roche looked pretty frisky. My money was on Martin...damnit.

Valverde was unlucky to fall, but limiting his loss under a minute in such circumstances is almost sensational.
After these two stages it's obvious that Valverde has better form than he's been talking.
I'm looking forward to second set of mountains.

Was it weird watching L-gas and M-star chase those echelons together? That was some flat out work and Valv had to have been gassed on the climb.

You are correct. To 'only' lose a minute to Contador's group was outstanding riding.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

Valv was very unlucky to fall as Sky put the hammer down.

A great ride by the break and Roche looked pretty frisky. My money was on Martin...damnit.
I've always liked Roche.

There was some discussion that Valv falling and Sky putting the hammer down were NOT coincidental - Movistar has a bit of a rep for going on the attack when someone crashes or has a mechanical, so there may have been a bit of a "Should we neutralize until he catches back on?" "Oh, let's not!" decision.

Was it weird watching L-gas and M-star chase those echelons together?
I'm not surprised to see them working together. They were together in trouble and Capecchi will join Movistar next season. I even think their coalition will last throughout entire Vuelta.
Roche also showed yesterday what colors he'll be wearing next season.

There was some discussion that Valv falling and Sky putting the hammer down were NOT coincidental - Movistar has a bit of a rep for going on the attack when someone crashes or has a mechanical, so there may have been a bit of a "Should we neutralize until he catches back on?" "Oh, let's not!" decision.

I think that's spot on. You could see guys look over their shoulders and then punch it into passing gear. Radios were going wild with, "Screw Valverde! Open the gap!".

Even before the M-star rider went up to 'politely' ask Sky to step off the gas (which did not happen), they knew exactly who had hit the deck. Those trees were really bending hard with that right-to-left cross wind and the gaps between the three echelons at that roundabout near the underpass were significant.

As said earlier, it was a hellova ride back by Valv to only come in a minute or so down on the Contador group. For a while, on the climb, Contador and company were going uphill in a hurry.

What do you guys think of the narrow roads? I can't decide if I like them this narrow. Seems to make the run ups a bit slower without the true team drag races of year past.

I don't think it's humanly possible to design more dangerous finishes than the Tour and Giro.

The finishing circuit today had some stupid back alleys (now we know why they can actually sell more than five Smart FourTwos over there) on it and the usual 179 traffic circles that seemed to get increasingly smaller radii the closer the riders got to the finish, but despite the constant suges by the various teams and trainless sprinters, they did a good job at keeping it under control.

I kept waiting for the inevitable crash, but the guys were on their game this afternoon.

I think I spotted a Siata Spring in the background of one of the TV camera bike shots!

I think I spotted a Siata Spring in the background of one of the TV camera bike shots!

Awesome!!!

I really think the narrow roads are slowing things down actually making it safer. But you're right on, for safety it's better than the 2-3 lane 60kph drag race into a closing 100 degree corner /img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif