unofficial tour of Spain thread

Vacon Soleil tried to break away and was told to get back in the bunch. As he reconnected with the bunch there was an ironic round of applause from some of the bunch.

I think today is going to be one of those days.

So far its been a much better race and the tour de france. The spanish and italians know how to hold a grand tour, the french could learn from them.

Originally Posted by ambal .

So far its been a much better race and the tour de france. The spanish and italians know how to hold a grand tour, the french could learn from them.
?

Next year marks the 110 year since the inception of the Tour De France.
They must be doing something right.

Originally Posted by ambal .

We've had good TdFs fairly recently; I won't defend this years....although it was certainly entertaining (Voeckler's fight for the polka dot jersey, the round-robin of sprinters vying for the green, etc) the race for the most important jersey was decided early on.

I think that since the TdF is kinda the crown jewel of cycling, it breeds a more conservative style of racing - if someone comes in 2nd in the Vuelta/Giro, it isn't a huge discussion point, but if someone can't close the deal in the TdF for a few yrs (see Andy Schleck or Cadel Evans) it's a huge talking point - "what's wrong with him? will he ever get over the hump?" - I think the riders go balls-out to WIN in the Vuelta/Giro, whereas in the Tour they are far more conservative, sitting back and focusing on not making a mistake first, and being bold second.

I don't really see that there's much ASO can do to change that.

Today's course looks wild. It should be at least interesting to watch the riders on this one. 39 K of terror if it rains.

J-Rod is riding very well. The top 10 all were climbing on form today. Roche is still holding up well under the effort.

Rodriguez is simply unbeatable on this kind of terrain.
On Saturday starts new sort of selection. Don't want to say that Rodriguez will certainly have difficulties (he's shown during the Giro he's improved on long climbs), just that this Vuelta has something for everybody, and everyone should take the most of their cup of tea. Rodriguez is doing it very well so far..

rodriguez did survive the time trial in fine fashion. at the very least, he prevented contador from leapfrogging to a position where he and saxo would only have to defend. i like that contador will have to attack rodriguez in order to win this g t.

I'm in Valverde's corner for the long, steep stuff. At the same time, I'm digging Alberto's style and ease. He's not got the power out at least on two of the climbs and could blow like the frac'd well in my neighbor's field. Ya never know, but I think he will climb like Andy Schleck on his wheel with his shiney new chain minder and a brony on the handlebars.

Froome's a mystery to me at this point. After watching him cuss Wiggins over a hill or two I figured he was going to be the explosive cat over every hill top. Maybe he's smart and saving it or maybe he's end-of-a-long season tired?

J-Rod is still carrying the ball and looking strong. It's going to be an interesting weekend.

I don't think Roche is going to move up much. I'm seeing some good climbing legs out on the road and unless three or four guys shatter like glass he's really going to have to work to come close to the podium. Getting on it may be out of reach.

Like most of cycling fans, I think it's Contador's race to lose now.
Rodriguez is the only guy in position to threaten Contador, in my opinion.
Froome and Valverde, although better than Rodriguez on longer climbs, are too far behind and as race progresses it's hard to expect them to get better.
But, who knows. Four consecutive stages in mountains can bring some unexpected development. Valverde and Froome are in position to follow the main battle in front of them and wait for the right chance. To race smart as Bob said.
The longer Rodriguez keeps the lead - the better for the race, I think.

So far so good.
Rodriguez is showing real quality. Tactical as well as physical. He might be closer to overall victory than it's expected.
Contador lacks racing and calmness. With racing routine he lacks, attack he launched would have been more effective. And without the routine, he should be more cautious.
Too bad the race split into two battles: Rodriguez vs. Contador and Froome vs. Valverde
Froome showed amazing pacing ability, and immediately after - he's made a mistake. The fact he feels good after catching the lead group, doesn't necessarily mean that the leading group feels bad and that it should be attacked.
Valverde's goal is podium according to today's stage. And he's on good way to achieve it. But, I have impression, he should've been more patient too. He could gain more (on Froome), and lose less (to leading duo).
The wish of riders who are chasing to get in front of their rivals looks stronger than their real ability and racing logic.

Very entertaining race. I'm enjoying.

I think the time bonus adds an interesting dimension to the race that is lacking in the TdF. It keeps the leaders fighting right to the end of the stage.

Another great ride by Rodriguez - I'm finding it hard to believe Hesjedal beat him in the Giro now.

J-Rod rises to the top, again. Contador, Valv, Froome all looked good. Moreno put in a hellova ride!

Anybody else impressed with Talansky's effort today? Nice ride!

Congrats to Piedra. I bet everyone in escape were surprised he didn't crack.
Valverde raced more clever than yesterday and picked the best moment for attack.
Rodriguez looked like he wasn't troubled at all by Contador's efforts, and Contador looked like he's getting tired a bit.
Podium seems to be decided since Froome couldn't follow the Spaniards. Who can blame him? The Tour started two months ago, and since then he's doing nothing but racing at the highest level.
Time is running out for Contador.

A brave ride by Piedra. And how many attacks can Alberto throw into one climb?

Unless the is a miracle, Froome is off the podium. Spain 1,2 & 3.