unofficial tour of Spain thread

Shot of Cataldo in front of De Gendt on 20+% slope 200 meters to the finish was epic!
They were slithering like snails, but it still was a race. Fantastic!
It made me wish to visit this brutal climb. To feel the pain and satisfaction at the top.
Behind them business as usual.
Froome looked at the end like one of the characters from Sylvain Chomet's Belleville Rendezvous.

Really good Vuelta.
Besides racing, scenery in the north of Spain makes it great for viewing.

Stage 16 highlights for those who missed the live broadcast...like me! Early races suck!

Originally Posted by Andrija .

Congrats to Piedra. I bet everyone in escape were surprised he didn't crack.
Valverde raced more clever than yesterday and picked the best moment for attack.
Rodriguez looked like he wasn't troubled at all by Contador's efforts, and Contador looked like he's getting tired a bit.
Podium seems to be decided since Froome couldn't follow the Spaniards. Who can blame him? The Tour started two months ago, and since then he's doing nothing but racing at the highest level.
Time is running out for Contador.
agreed on rodriguez v contador. alberto certainly tried to turn the screws on rodriguez only to see each challenged met and bettered. very impressive stages by rodriguez. this is, in my opinion, the best g. t. of the year.

And we couldn't see the most epic moment of 2012 GT season in live coverage. Just the chase after the attack.
Classy ride. But from the best GT rider of his generation shouldn't be expected less than to fight on every stage.

And just not to forget sport's playwright, after the rest day on De Fuente stage the show ended.

yes, but for contador to have fought so bravely last week only to have it returned with a slap. and then today. just burned them off his wheel. bravissimo. the post race interview shows he will not give up this title lightly. back on the edge of seat waiting for rodriguez' response at the bola del mundo.

I think it's over now.
The only surprise for me was the place where everything happened. I've expected it to be on the Bola del Mundo, in his backyard. That would be a cinematic comeback.
But it's not bad this way either. It's even more appropriate than saponaceous happy end. It tastes like reality show with all protagonists mentioned in comeback sequel.

What an attack! And Valverde rode a damned determined TT to get back to Contador.

J-Rod had a bad day and Froome's was worse. Talansky and Ten Dam are still riding well. Roche also finished about 5 minutes back with Talansky...looking shot.

Is it too much to expect, after all the thrills, Valverde showing his bolas on the Bola del Mundo?
That would be a stylish comeback. After full suspension, early hiccups and generally low expectations before the race.

i still expect the last ditch efforts to be made. they have to try and crack contador.

Good effort from Rodrguez. Who knows what would have been if he rode entire race like today... More courageous, attacked when (if) he could, instead of defending and collecting bonuses.
Vuelta is leaving similar impression like the Tour - the strongest hasn't won. But it's not everything in the strength, there has to be something in the head and guts. At least for Vuelta.
Anyway, very good race. Riders responded very well to the brutal route. Gave their best and entertained us three weeks.
There's more fun with Contador in the race. He was really missing at the Tour.

Gotta give J-Rod props for trying.

I would have liked to see Porte get the win, but Menchov rode a strong finish.

At last! The Vuelta has a deserving winner and runner-up!

Buena Suerte and Vaya con Dios to Alberto!

Just watching Saturday's stage again.
What a stage to have to race after nearly three weeks of racing in your legs /img/vbsmilies/smilies/redface.gif
(3 first category climbs and 2 second category climbs).

La Faisanera (Golf Segovia) - Bola del Mundo
what a tough stage this was. The fianl climb to del Mundo was something else.
Great win by Menchov.
Coming across the finishing line a lot of riders were in a terrible state.
Froome, Ten Dam.
Nicholas Roche helping Simon Clarke to cross the line - these guys aren't even on the same team. What a stage.