UnPlanned Dog Dismounts

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by UniBrier, Jan 14, 2005.

  1. UniBrier

    UniBrier Guest

    I really hadn't experienced any UPDD's until last Christmas break.

    I some times ride MUni with my dog and she's never bothered the bikers.
    I have come up on MTBers with dogs and they never bother me. The most
    problem I've had with my dog is running into her when she's not paying
    attention.

    Between Christmas and NewYears I was down in my in-law's farming
    community on the Oregon Coast. The area is pretty much dairy country on
    flood plains formed by several rivers. I usually get in a few Coker
    miles every time I go down. This time I had Blue Shift out on loan from
    Sir Harper.

    On my first ride I headed out the short dike road, crossed the river to
    a long side road and the usual pack of dogs comes out barking. These do
    it every time and really don't worry me. They bark and back off. They
    don't follow. In my experience thats how most dogs respond to a uni.

    On the next day's ride I was literaly heading back for the barn when a
    German Shephard came running down his long driveway. I saw him coming
    and sped up a bit to get past the driveway before he got to the road.
    When he got to the road he made the turn and was in pursuit on the
    asphalt. He didn't break and kept chasing with what looked like ill
    intent so I jumped off and prepared to use BS as a uni-raquet in case he
    meant business. As soon as I was off and yelled he was back to the house
    and no more problem.

    At the end of that ride a dog I had ridden by on the day before was a
    bit more aggressive too. Maybe I smelled better to them that day.

    On a bike you can stop pedaling, coast, keep your foot high, and use
    your water bottle or frame pump to fend off the hounds. On a unicycle,
    if you keep pedaling you keep those tasty calves just going round and
    round to tempt the bad doggie.

    Just wondering if anybody else has had encounters with the Evil Hound.

    BAD DOG!

    --
    UniBrier - Its Time to Ride

    Steve

    Do your feet smell? Does you nose run?...You may be built upside down.
    -Old joke I found in a Mad Magazine many moons ago.

    UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

  2. tomblackwood

    tomblackwood Guest

    UniBrier wrote:
    > *Just wondering if anybody else has had encounters with the Evil
    > Hound.*

    I have been twice, by the same Evil Hound, both times on my Coker. I do
    a lot of Cokering around the big "planned community" I live in, 'cause
    there are endless variations of rides through the different
    neighborhoods. Twice I've gone by this one house and been charged by
    this combo mutt/shepard. Both times I've had to dismount and keep the
    Coker between me and him. Both times his little band of human
    worshipers have come out of the house to say "Stop Spot! Bad Spot! He's
    really a nice dog...just let him sniff you. No Spot! etc. for literally
    5 friggin' minutes while the dog continues to run in big circles around
    my small circles, foaming at the mouth and paying no attention to his
    fan base. Eventually one of the teenage kids (not either of the
    "responsible adults") runs in and grabs Spot by the collar and holds him
    while I mount up and get away.

    On the second round of this scenario I told the "responsible adults"
    that third strike would be it for Spot. They need to take doggie to
    doggie manners school, or doggie will be going for a ride with Animal
    Control. Or maybe mace...that's actually something I didn't think of
    until now. The coker just doesn't make a good racquet, although so far
    it has made a good shield. No Spot bites despite two strong attempts.

    --
    tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

    Tailgate at your own risk.....

  3. One of the nearest trials/muni spots to me is also a major unleashed dog
    attraction. They usually chase me and bite my trie. I've had one bite me
    on the thigh, but the pocket of my jeans blunted the teeth and made it
    painless. I don't hold anything against the dogs who do it. If a dog
    starts after you it's your responsibility to dismount. If they continue
    with a viscous intent, it's the owner's fault and they need to deal with
    it. Most dogs I know will become perfectly nice once the wheel is no
    longer under me. It is unreasonable to expect owners of dogs to be able
    to familiarize their dogs with uncycles. It is reasonable for them to be
    able to control the dog anf familiarize them with people standing trying
    to defend themselves.

    I own a dog and she is terrified of me on my unicyle. She will run the
    moment I start hopping. I expect my dog to be calm around bikes and all
    of such things, but being as I don't see someone go by on a pogo stick
    every day, it's not fair to expect me to know how my dog will react to a
    pogo stick.

    I thought this thread would be about dismounts while walking a dog on a
    unicycle. I learned many balance skills by walking my 95lb energetic
    labrador on leash while riding a unicycle.

    --
    gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

    I'm Nick's main man.

    "Democracy is just a word when the people are starving"-Immortal
    Technique

  4. jsm

    jsm Guest

    I had a couple of dogs in our neighborhood come out barking at me, a
    month or to after I learned. I kept my trusty Torker between me and them
    and walked through the area. Nothing serious.

    I also had a rather ridiculous experience with my own dog and the
    unicycle. A couple months after learning the uni, I decided it would be
    clever to walk the dog while riding my unicycle, and she seemed eager to
    go, so I went ahead and tried it. I mounted on the driveway, and she
    tore off down it onto the street with me pedalling frantically behind.
    As soon as we hit the middle of the street, she must have noticed that I
    was riding not walking and lay down flat, digging her claws into the
    cement. I rode over to the other side of the street, unintentionally
    dragging her along on the leash, then dismounted. After allowing the
    school bus and three of four other vehicles, which had managed to show
    up just as I was entering our seldom used street, to pass, I returned
    the dog to the house, and rode off, greatly embarassed.

    --
    jsm - Freestyle below Freezing!

    jsm to BMX posers: "So, what do you do with the extra wheel?"
    BMX poser: "Uhhh...., I dunno."

    jsm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6911

  5. evil-nick

    evil-nick Guest

    I've really only had one bad experience witha dog, I was coming back
    from a long ride on my old 24", and this dog started barking at me,
    maybe a mile from home. I ignored it, 'cause it had barked at me before
    when biking, and when I had ridden by earlier in the day. Never came
    after me, just barked. So I'm pedaling when all of a sudden I feel a
    pain in ly left calf, followed by pain on my palms as I hit the
    ground... Damn dog bit me! Learned its lesson though, 'cause when I
    fell the unicycle ejected straight back and came within a couple of
    inches of whacking its nose... Has barked at me since, but keeps a
    healthy distance.
    My brother's dog bit me once last month when I was showing my borther my
    uni, but I think he (the dog) was only playing 'cause he didn't bark,
    wasn't biting hard (just got my foot, and he only had a firm grip on it)
    and let go as soon as I told him to... Glad he's well trained, German
    Shepherds can be frightening ;)

    Agreed tho, most dogs either bark at everyone and thing that goes by, or
    just don't recognize a unicycle... I know my parents dog barked like
    crazy the 1st time he saw me on one wheel ;)

    --
    evil-nick - Unicyclist, Linux Geek, & swell guy

    Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total
    obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and
    through me. And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see
    its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will
    remain.

    * Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear.

    My gallery:
    http://evil.linuxfreak.ca/uni.html
    evil-nick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6692

  6. Tellurider

    Tellurider Guest

    ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
    > *I surprised that you don`t outrun the dog on a Coker.
    > My dog tops out at an unsustained 16mph. *

    You have a slow dog, my dog and most fit dogs can sprint at around
    thirty mph and can sustain twenty five for a long time. It can be hard
    to outrun a dog even on a bicycle.
    I unicycle with my dog all the time and she is great at staying out of
    your way it's better on the coker because I can maintain a speed that
    satisfies her desire to run. If I have her on a leash on the muni she is
    allways pulling trying to go faster and that can be helpfull on the
    uphills but bad when I am going down hill.

    --
    Tellurider - Dan Wilson

    There's a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".
    Tellurider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4972

  7. MattPH

    MattPH Guest

    gerblefranklin wrote:
    > *If a dog starts after you it's your responsibility to dismount.
    >
    > *

    The only time I have been bitten was when I was pushing the muni, it was
    an ankle biting Yorkshire Terrier, but have never been attacked while
    riding, so my policy is to just keep going and only dismount if I'm in
    danger of running over a dog.

    --
    MattPH - Muni Hungry

    You do WHAT on it?
    MattPH's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8467

  8. the reasons these dogs do it because if its german shepards or border
    colies is because there sheep hearding dogs and they think of you as
    something to herd so they run up to you. so the reason they bite your
    tire or your leg is because hey feel your not listening to them. I have
    a broder colie and he always bites my tire

    --
    brockfisher05 - you are deeply mised unibiker

    check out my gallery at :
    http://gallery.vanuni.com/thumbnails.php?album=6

    check out my groups website at www.vanuni.com

    Add me to your msn at [email protected]
    brockfisher05's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8363

  9. Chrashing

    Chrashing Guest

    I have not had trouble with dogs, yet.

    Dogs are great to pass on a uni, at least when their on a leash. While
    their master may choose to ignore you, the dog looks at the unicyclist
    like their from mars. Dogs just don't have good poker faces. They look
    dumbfounded, especially golden retrievers.

    --
    Chrashing - Just Lucky

    Regards,
    Chrashing
    Chrashing's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7501

  10. total uni

    total uni Guest

    one time i was riding my uni on a street while carrying a bag of movies,
    suddenly a mid sized dog comes up and starts baring its teeth and
    growlying then it bit my tire, then it made a huge lung at my leg and
    mad 4 pretty good sized puncture wounds. at this time i was mad, as i
    rode faster the dog got mader and mader, then just like before it jumped
    forward to bite my leg but at this time i was think ahead, in mid jump
    it i force fully swung my movie bad and bluntly hit the dog in the head.
    the dog yelped, but didnt give up and kept growling and biting my tire.
    at this point i was really freaking mad, i slowed down and turned
    around, i rode at the dog at full speed and it turned around and ran.

    this is the story where brave evan chaced away the rabies dog, thanks
    for listening.

    Evan

    --
    total uni - posting is good for the soul!

    Trials is the devil - jack huges
    total uni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8125

  11. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    A few months ago I made a UPDD because of a German shepherd (dog, not
    human ) that came running at me when I rode my MUni across a grassy
    field. It looked quite aggressive so I jumped off and held my wheel
    between me and the dog which tried to circumvent it. The owner was
    nearby and he tried to bring the dog under control by talking
    (shouting actually) at it but to no avail. Tsk, some dog owners.... He
    then grasped its neck band (how do you call that?) and restrained it
    while I remounted and rode off. All the time he assured me that it
    would never bite or anything, but I didn't trust that. They all say
    that until it's done, and then it's "Oh he otherwise never does that".

    Just yesterday, if fact on the same grassy field and on the same MUni,
    it was dog-walking time. One dog started to bark at me and walk/run
    besides be. That triggered other dogs and they began doing the same. I
    had a flock of three or four dogs around me, all barking and jumping.
    All the owners were behind me and started calling their dogs back but
    none of them responded. It was quite hilarious in a way! Since I had
    my 661's on and none of the dogs was particularly large I reckoned I
    was reasonably safe. Eventually the dogs went away,

    A few years ago I did get bitten though. I was riding on my 29'er on a
    cycle path on the edge of a built-up area. I rode past a little girl
    on a tricycle when this dog (German shepherd, they're the worst) came
    running at really high speed out of nowhere straight to me and passed
    between me and the girl. I thought that the dog might have come to her
    'defence' so I asked her if it was hers but she said no. Then the dog
    came back (I was past the girl at this point), ran beside me for about
    5 metres, looking at me and barking. I was a bit scared but pedaled
    on. Then it bit me lightly in the lower leg which was bare. I shouted
    HEY!! at the top of my voice and jumped off the uni. Two people
    sitting on a bench nearby had seen everything so I asked whether the
    dog was theirs but they said 'Fortunately not!' I said that it bit me
    and they confirmed they saw that. No damage to be seen on my leg
    though. By now the dog was gone, I remounted and rode away.

    More "Bitten by a dog" stories in
    <http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/27749>.

    Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    --
    It's impossible to get old when you ride a unicycle - John (what's in a name) Childs