Unreliable study hid dangers of HRT

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Ilena, Feb 27, 2004.

  1. Ilena

    Ilena Guest

    NOTE FROM ILENA: For years, a very good friend to our implanted Support Group, Sherrill Sellman, has
    been writing about and speaking out on the the harzards of HRT ...

    Please visit the link below where Sherrill interviewed me for her newsletter ... and visit the links
    to her website and excellent information.

    Bravo to her for being so courageous to speak out on the dangers while the Pharmaceutical Giants
    were hiding them and may God protect her.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    February 27, 2004

    Unreliable study hid dangers of HRT By Nigel Hawkes, Health Editor

    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8122-1017726,00.html

    THE failure of hormone replacement therapy to protect against heart disease and strokes ought to
    have been realised much sooner, a leading epidemiologist has said. Experiments such as the Nurses'
    Study, which followed 120,000 nurses for 30 years, found that those on HRT were less likely to have
    heart disease, but observational studies are often unreliable, as they have many sources of bias.

    Klim McPherson, professor of epidemiology at Bristol University, and Elina Hemminki, of the Finnish
    Health and Social Services department, examined all the short-term trials. They then extracted
    unpublished data from drug companies, using the law in Finland. The results showed that, far from
    cutting the risk of heart disease, HRT increased it by almost 80 per cent.

    The moral, say the authors, is that all data, including that from the drug companies, ought to be
    available and better used.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    http://humanticsfoundation.com/sellmaninterviewsrosenthal.htm

    Tags:

  2. Bew

    Bew Guest

    "Ilena" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > NOTE FROM ILENA: For years, a very good friend to our implanted Support Group, Sherrill Sellman,
    > has been writing about and speaking out on the the harzards of HRT ...
    >
    > Please visit the link below where Sherrill interviewed me for her newsletter ... and visit the
    > links to her website and excellent information.
    >
    > Bravo to her for being so courageous to speak out on the dangers while the Pharmaceutical Giants
    > were hiding them and may God protect her.
    >
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >
    > February 27, 2004
    >
    > Unreliable study hid dangers of HRT By Nigel Hawkes, Health Editor
    >
    > http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8122-1017726,00.html
    >
    > THE failure of hormone replacement therapy to protect against heart disease and strokes ought to
    > have been realised much sooner, a leading epidemiologist has said. Experiments such as the
    > Nurses' Study, which followed 120,000 nurses for 30 years, found that those on HRT were less
    > likely to have heart disease, but observational studies are often unreliable, as they have many
    > sources of bias.
    >

    > Klim McPherson, professor of epidemiology at Bristol University, and Elina Hemminki, of the
    > Finnish Health and Social Services department, examined all the short-term trials. They then
    > extracted unpublished data from drug companies, using the law in Finland. The results showed that,
    > far from cutting the risk of heart disease, HRT increased it by almost 80 per cent.
    >
    > The moral, say the authors, is that all data, including that from the drug companies, ought to be
    > available and better used.

    Release Date: 18/02/2004

  3. "Ilena" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > NOTE FROM ILENA: For years, a very good friend to our implanted Support Group, Sherrill Sellman,
    > has been writing about and speaking out on the the harzards of HRT ...
    >
    > Please visit the link below where Sherrill interviewed me for her newsletter ... and visit the
    > links to her website and excellent information.
    >
    > Bravo to her for being so courageous to speak out on the dangers while the Pharmaceutical Giants
    > were hiding them and may God protect her.
    >
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >
    > February 27, 2004
    >
    > Unreliable study hid dangers of HRT By Nigel Hawkes, Health Editor
    >
    > http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8122-1017726,00.html
    >
    > THE failure of hormone replacement therapy to protect against heart disease and strokes ought to
    > have been realised much sooner, a leading epidemiologist has said. Experiments such as the
    > Nurses' Study, which followed 120,000 nurses for 30 years, found that those on HRT were less
    > likely to have heart disease, but observational studies are often unreliable, as they have many
    > sources of bias.
    >

    > Klim McPherson, professor of epidemiology at Bristol University, and Elina Hemminki, of the
    > Finnish Health and Social Services department, examined all the short-term trials. They then
    > extracted unpublished data from drug companies, using the law in Finland. The results showed that,
    > far from cutting the risk of heart disease, HRT increased it by almost 80 per cent.
    >
    > The moral, say the authors, is that all data, including that from the drug companies, ought to be
    > available and better used.

    Self-selection was the problem with the Nurses study. Those who were more healthy self-select for
    more medical "care" anyway, even if it kills them. It is a good example of why so much money is
    spent here on medical 'care' and why our health data are so bad. We are getting hurt.