Unrestricted Battery Bike

CoyoteBoy wrote:
> I had considered modifying a mountain board I have
> for electric use to get me to the office from the train

Before you start worrying about what kind of vehicle it's deemed to be,
you might want to check that it's a vehicle _at all_. Roller skates,
for example, are not. (Meaning that skaters are, as far as we can tell,
considered pedestrians in law and therefore 99.8% of traffic law doesn't
apply)

-dan

Tony Raven wrote:
> Naqerj <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
>> That site's not really the NACC's any more - the NACC is slowly falling
>> apart under the weight of childish bickering.
>>

> Is that why I never got a reply to my e-mail about getting a dating
> certificate for a cyclemaster?

I don't know. Who did you send it to? The administrative side of the
club is in a shambles, but the chap who does the dating certificate was,
I thought, one of the few who was actually still doing things properly.
On the other hand, if you sent it to the Secretary, it's probably lost
for ever.

Do you still need one? If it's just a dating certificate, I reckon I
could do you one with my British Two-Stroke Club hat on. I haven't done
one for ages but I think they should still work. However, I can't do it
if it's a V765 job.

--
Andrew

Rob Morley wrote:

> "A vehicle is not exempt from ECWVTA or MSVA if it is fitted with pedals
> and a motor that can provide power assistance at any time without the
> rider pedalling"

Thats an interesting one. I sometimes see people on electric assist
bikes (for want of a better term) using the electric bit only and not
actually pedaling. This implies that their machines are not legal.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

One tentacle, one vote.

Naqerj <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Tony Raven wrote:
>> [...]

> I don't know. Who did you send it to? The administrative side of the
> club is in a shambles, but the chap who does the dating certificate was,
> I thought, one of the few who was actually still doing things properly.
> On the other hand, if you sent it to the Secretary, it's probably lost
> for ever.
>
> Do you still need one? If it's just a dating certificate, I reckon I
> could do you one with my British Two-Stroke Club hat on. I haven't done
> one for ages but I think they should still work. However, I can't do it
> if it's a V765 job.

I'll reply off-group.

--
Tony

" I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."
Bertrand Russell

In article <[email protected]>, Don Whybrow
[email protected] says...
> Rob Morley wrote:
> >
> > "A vehicle is not exempt from ECWVTA or MSVA if it is fitted with pedals
> > and a motor that can provide power assistance at any time without the
> > rider pedalling"

> Thats an interesting one. I sometimes see people on electric assist
> bikes (for want of a better term) using the electric bit only and not
> actually pedaling.

These seem to be finding some favour around here as mobility aids for
the elderly or morbidly obese (i.e. I regularly see an old gadgy and a
fat lad using them) which makes some sense - I'd also like to see bikes
allowed as mobility aids in pedestrian areas when my knees are having a
bad day. :)

> This implies that their machines are not legal.

The same document goes on to say that it's the domain of Trading
Standards to ensure that these non-compliant vehicles don't get sold,
and they wouldn't be surprised if nobody ever gets prosecuted, or words
to that effect.

In message <[email protected]>
Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'd also like to see bikes
> allowed as mobility aids in pedestrian areas

same here.

I persuaded a security guard to let me litter his pristine mall with
my bike because of a gammy leg; a blue-badge-equivalent scheme would
help.

--
Charles
Brompton P-type T6 in Motspur Park

On 6 Sep, 17:42, [email protected] wrote:
> In message <[email protected]>
> Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I'd also like to see bikes
> > allowed as mobility aids in pedestrian areas

> same here.
>
> I persuaded a security guard to let me litter his pristine mall with
> my bike because of a gammy leg; a blue-badge-equivalent scheme would
> help.
>
> --
> Charles
> Brompton P-type T6 in Motspur Park
> LCC; CTC.

If the blue badge scheme is anything to go by, we could expect a rapid
uptake in cycling in malls and pedestrianised zones, due to the number
of people buying forged passes and abusing the system.

David Lloyd (at work)