Unstable cycling

Silvia84

May 16, 2022
Hello everyone,
I have just purchased a bike. I haven't been cycling for years and years. In spite of that, as soon as I tried , I was able to cycle. However, my cycling is a bit unstable, sometimes I tend to go too much right or left although I go straight. It is not a matter of panic, I am quite calm while cycling. do you think it could be a problem with gears maybe?
Thanks.
Silvia

Lack of current experience is a far more likely reason than anything to do with the gears.

Reactions: comebackkid
Hello everyone,
I have just purchased a bike. I haven't been cycling for years and years. In spite of that, as soon as I tried , I was able to cycle. However, my cycling is a bit unstable, sometimes I tend to go too much right or left although I go straight. It is not a matter of panic, I am quite calm while cycling. do you think it could be a problem with gears maybe?
Thanks.
Silvia
I would suggest keeping your head up and focus on what you can see 30 meters in front or you, do not look directly at the road below or the front wheel.

I agree with those who say with time spent riding your technique will improve, and this is because it is my experience. I did not ride a lot on the road for a number of years once and when I got back onto a road bike I was not impressed with my ability to keep the bike straight, but things improved a lot after I got a lot of miles under my belt. Some bikes are more "twitchy" than others, but experience and skill tames them all.

Hey there! I can totally relate to your experience. There was a time when I took a break from road biking and trust me, my bike handling skills were nowhere near impressive when I hopped back on. But fear not! As you mentioned, it's all about spending time in the saddle. The more miles you conquer, the more comfortable and confident you'll become. And you're right about different bikes having different characteristics. It's all about finding the one that matches your style. Keep pushing yourself and embracing those new challenges. You got this! ‍♀️