Unstructured schedule - improving FTP/endurance?

dr-ivan

Nov 18, 2013
Dear all,

I am in the middle of my 20-s, never been too good at endurance sports but have always enjoyed cycling. Recently I decided to try to increase my endurance, and thus bought a trainer for the winter, along with a subscription to TrainerRoad - in hopes of seeing some progress towards the start of the next season. My main problem is that my work schedule is highly erratic (unpredictable mix of 18-hour night shifts, 14-hour day shifts, along with shorter day and evening shifts). I am able to squeeze perhaps 6 hours of training each week, divided into 3, 4 or 5 sessions. Unfortunately, there is no regularity to these sessions. Some weeks I may have three consecutive days for training, during others I can spread my effort somewhat more evenly. Most of the training plans I see online, however, are based around regular workout days interspaced with restitution days. Thus, I am wondering if you have any tips on how to reconcile my working situation with a sensible workout schedule that yields at least somewhat tangible results?

Any advice mostly appreciated!

My humble stats are: FTP 175 (based on my first ever 8-minute test); results from best-effort curve: 5s = 6 W/kg, 5min = 3 W/kg, 1h = 1.7 W/kg