Unusual chain-snagging problem - help!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Undercover Elep, Mar 9, 2003.

  1. Hi all

    When trying to ascend some particularly steep climbs using the small front ring, the chain has
    started to behave most oddly.

    It seems to get 'caught' on the chain ring and continues round until it gets stuck under the part of
    the chain that is then coming onto the ring.

    As you can imagine, this then abruptly prevents the cranks from turning - not very nice!

    Bikes don't normally baffle me, but this has! Any help is most welcome.

    Max

    Tags:

  2. Bildom

    Bildom Guest

    It's called chain suck. Your small chainring and/or chain are probably worn and the chain sticks on
    the small chainring and does not release as it should. You probably need to replace the chainring
    and/or chain. Before replacing the chainring, inspect it. You may be able to file down any burrs
    news:[email protected]...

  3. On Sun, 09 Mar 2003 14:15:22 -0500, BilDom wrote:

    > It's called chain suck. Your small chainring and/or chain are probably worn and the chain sticks
    > on the small chainring and does not release as it should. You probably need to replace the
    > chainring and/or chain. Before replacing the chainring, inspect it. You may be able to file down
    > any burrs that might be causing it.

    I recently suffered chain-suck with a new (cheapo) chainring. REplacing it is the best option, but
    filing down burrs might help -- new or old.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | When you are up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember _`\(,_ | that your initial
    objective was to drain the swamp. -- LBJ (_)/ (_) |

  4. "David L. Johnson" <David L. Johnson <[email protected]>> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > On Sun, 09 Mar 2003 14:15:22 -0500, BilDom wrote:
    >
    >> It's called chain suck. Your small chainring and/or chain are probably worn and the chain sticks
    >> on the small chainring and does not release as it should. You probably need to replace the
    >> chainring and/or chain. Before replacing the chainring, inspect it. You may be able to file down
    >> any burrs that might be causing it.
    >
    > I recently suffered chain-suck with a new (cheapo) chainring. REplacing it is the best option, but
    > filing down burrs might help -- new or old.

    Thanks guys, luckily the bike, a steel framed Rock Hopper, only cost me £40, so I ain't to
    distressed!

    Max